ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #76
heirhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
lane sharing

Hello,

Been riding in SoCal for 45 yrs. Have had all kinds of bikes. If you are not used to lane sharing, ( nice!! ), I would not recommend it. this is not like trying to shift into 2nd while doing a wheelie on a 125!!! this is like being a PINBALL and everyone else is the wizard trying to kill you. when you are stuck in traffic just enjoy it when your not and enjoy all of the other SWEET Ca. rides that are not crowded. Live to ride another day

Heirhead
heirhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #77
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,081
"Lane sharing is urban single track and a bit like riding endless whoops. When you find yourself getting out of shape (physically or mentally) it's time to slow down and gather your rhythm before attacking the lane again"

Quoted w/o quoting after reading the whole thread. Whomsoever wrote the above hit it on the head! It really is about gaining a rhythm and requires actual active riding skills. You ain't just 'chillin" along. I really miss the challenge of getting from a-b on a bike in SoCal. It was fun and scary, but just what the dr ordered at the end of a long work day. By the time I got home, had that damn warm-fuzzy feeling from the mental workout. Good shite.

I've been in AK now for just over 5 years. I still get antsy sitting in ANY kind of traffic. Whenever the wife is along, two-up, we both just sigh coming up to lights, then start cracking up cuz we're thinking the same thing. The ONLY time we get a break up here is for construction traffic. Unwritten rule is bikes get head-of-line privledges. Otherwise, try splitting up here and the locals can get really bent, really fast.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #78
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Motorcyclists are not prohibited from crossing the carpool lanes as needed. Although you're supposed to be in one lane or the other, sometimes you end up in the middle of the double yellows. Watch for debris.
in so cal, most carpool lanes seperated by DYs: you are not suppose to cross double yellows. LE would probably allow it if you cross it while spiliting but if you cross it to enter/exit the carpool lane it's illegal.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 AM   #79
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,989
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
in so cal, most carpool lanes seperated... if you cross it while spiliting but if you cross it to enter/exit the carpool lane it's illegal.
That is true. I wish someone would tell the cage a-holes that.

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM   #80
Wingnut037
Two Sheds

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
Start slow, only do it at stop lights to filter to the front. Slowly work on reading traffic, work up to slow moving traffic.

you have to learn to read minds and look for subtle clues. Stay away from splitting the carpool lane, that requires esp. that only comes with time.
This is how I taught a friend that came out from the east for a ride. Slowly worked from stopped traffic at a light, to traffic moving <10mph and by the second day he was comfortable, and aware enough, to split on our short stints on the highway. Many cars will make room for you.

Be sure to check your mirrors often. Easy to find a squid right behind you that is used to passing 80mph traffic at over 100mph.
Wingnut037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:01 AM   #81
bergermeister
housin'

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Motorcyclists are not prohibited from crossing the carpool lanes as needed. Although you're supposed to be in one lane or the other, sometimes you end up in the middle of the double yellows. Watch for debris.
in LA/OC, that area is used as a moto lane.

you could sit on the side of the 55 north at 5 pm and see 100 motos per hour ride between the yellows
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #82
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
in LA/OC, that area is used as a moto lane.

you could sit on the side of the 55 north at 5 pm and see 100 motos per hour ride between the yellows
That's what I'm talkin' about.
Legal or not, that's what we do. I'll cross any kind of lane marker on a split, don't matter to me.

When johnny-law stops I take off my helmet and they see I'm a gray-haired old guy with a big smile and they just melt. Never met an unfriendly one yet. They run my clean record and send me on my way.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 PM   #83
bergermeister
housin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
only do it at stop lights to filter to the front.
this reminds me - what about where traffic on city streets is very light, maybe one car in each lane stopped at a light. split em?

I won't in this situation, seems like there's no need and bad form, and when I'm the guy in the car, I don't enjoy the blipping and straight pipes next to my window.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #84
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
this reminds me - what about where traffic on city streets is very light, maybe one car in each lane stopped at a light. split em?

I won't in this situation, seems like there's no need and bad form, and when I'm the guy in the car, I don't enjoy the blipping and straight pipes next to my window.
I rarely split to get past one car unless they stayed side by side from the previous light. You can always get around them when one gets slightly ahead of the other.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #85
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Watch the side mirrors on cars (from a distance) and as you get closer, watch the drivers' hands on the wheel. This will give you clues as to what they're about to do before their car starts to move. Keep your speed differential at the 10-15 mph range, no more. Not enough time to react, especially on a big Connie.

Run your high beams.. helps you be more visible, especially since so many cars now-a-days have their lights on during the day.
Rob

Err no. High beams cause those on the receiving end to lose what little depth perception they have. I filter every day and dipped beams with aux lights work just fine. There are no hard and fast rules other than if you don't feel comfortable doing don't do it.
Sent from my Tiger 800
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM   #86
Excndez
Girly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

Been riding in SoCal for 45 yrs. Have had all kinds of bikes. If you are not used to lane sharing, ( nice!! ), I would not recommend it. this is not like trying to shift into 2nd while doing a wheelie on a 125!!! this is like being a PINBALL and everyone else is the wizard trying to kill you. when you are stuck in traffic just enjoy it when your not and enjoy all of the other SWEET Ca. rides that are not crowded. Live to ride another day

Heirhead
The best advice here.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much experience you have, esp you have, luck or whatever else if some jack hole isn't paying attention and whips over you are done- dead or worse. Why take the chance? To get there a few minutes early? I'll split traffic and always do on my 10 mile commute everyday, but it is only when the vehicles are at a stand still. I've never seen one slide sideways while sitting still. To each his own I guess.

Like riding whoops? hardly

Last I recall while riding whoops the rocks, bushes, and trees couldn't jump out in front of me.
1970 CT70hko x 6
Excndez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #87
marbee40
Some Fear is Good

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excndez View Post

Last I recall while riding whoops the rocks, bushes, and trees couldn't jump out in front of me.
Hmmm...I would respectully disagree. I've had donkeys, cows, horses, and all manner of human-driven machine jump out while I'm navigating the whoops, ESPECIALLY down south. Aint no rules down there! I would agree that you're elevating your risk significantly by lane-sharing amongst moving vehicles vice those stopped.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #88
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts_4x View Post

You should only split on the drivers side of the car you are in the same lane with.

-scott

That one baffles me, never seen a bike between the wall and a car, we always share on the passenger side of the car where I come from.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #89
340hp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excndez View Post
The best advice here.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much experience you have, esp you have, luck or whatever else if some jack hole isn't paying attention and whips over you are done- dead or worse. Why take the chance? To get there a few minutes early? I'll split traffic and always do on my 10 mile commute everyday, but it is only when the vehicles are at a stand still. I've never seen one slide sideways while sitting still. To each his own I guess.

Last I recall while riding whoops the rocks, bushes, and trees couldn't jump out in front of me

You must have never ridden Baja or open range Nevada single track, where all sots of things jump out into your path. I mention this while remembering some of my most unexpected riding dangers have been deer & turkey (and kangaroo) jumping across the paved road, from being hidden in roadside bush to being in my immediate path with absolutely no warning and no traffic.

Do you ride to escape concentration seeking a carefree attitude? If yes, then lane sharing is not place for you (and neither is riding forest and wooded roads at sunup and sundown, or traffic in general).

Lane sharing demands concentration and mental awareness with constant reassessment of the where you plan to place you and your bike, now, a few seconds from now, and a minute from now (riding habits that pay healthy dividends over a lifetime of riding).
340hp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #90
bergermeister
housin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
I rarely split to get past one car unless they stayed side by side from the previous light. You can always get around them when one gets slightly ahead of the other.
when I see some hog do it, I race em off the line to see the struggle.