ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #31
SDDinNH
Ridgerunner
 
SDDinNH's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Seacoast of NH
Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
Two point I was trying to make. 1 Motorcycle are meant to be fun, bring joy to their owners. 2 Many owner find that joy of ownership by have the motorcycle represent a lifestyle or image,,, how it looks, how one looks on the motor cycle as much if not more than how the motorcycle actually performs or how much of the motorcycle performance they actually use.

Everyone, please enjoy your ride!
Sorry I got it wrong Bob, I told you it was probably in the way I was reading your previous statement. The above I agree with.

Ride Safe
__________________
Steve
2013 R1200 GSW
One out of four people is insane - check your three best friends - if they seem normal then it must be you!

SDDinNH screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 03:14 PM
SDDinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #32
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 285
I got a F650GS as a return to biking after a long absence from motorcycles. The funny part is that it's more powerful and faster than the old Triumph I had in the 60s -- and that bike was a hoot. We have become jaded when an 800cc engine is for beginners.
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:08 AM   #33
Jeuneyer OP
He don't say much.
 
Jeuneyer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: SW-Virginia
Oddometer: 68
Thanks for all of the great responses and comments. It seems to be a mixed bag of opinions. The reason I have asked is that in May I have "permission" to buy whatever I want. It is killing me to wait until then but I have narrowed down my choices. I know that image should be meaningless but in reality it does matter. No matter how much I like the bike I have or how ideal it is for what I use it for, if I have to explain that to everybody who asks, it would get to me. I don't see me getting this chance of having such a free pass to buy whatever I want like this for a while so I don't want to screw it up and be longing for more a year later. Keep the comments and opinions coming. I am most interested in regular guys who already own a F650/700 and how they currently use them as well as if they are wanting something else or are content.
Jeuneyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #34
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mustardfj40's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Siicon Valley, California
Oddometer: 140
If perceived image is big deal to you and you are tall enough then maybe the F800GS might be it, or better yet if you have the fund, the new R1200GSA might be it for you.

My 1st bike was a Honda Rebel 450 and I still have it, I really wanted to to ride it across country and maybe around the world but many critical parts for this bike is no longer available, the bike was uncomfortable for highway riding...So I knew I needed another more capable and reliable bike...I'm also an avid mountain biker and long distance bicycle tourer so bike fitting and comfortablity is very big deal. Since I am also a much shorter guy and the factory lower F650GS fits me just nicely, I bought it last April, then just rode it across country from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City and down Blue Ridge Parkway to Atlanta. I just love this bike, most people I talked to was interested about the long rides, most other bikes I saw on the road are....Harleys, quite few people never saw a BWM GS before, some could'nt tell the differences between my bike and the big 1200GS and I thought my bike cost $20,000. I even got many complements on how good my F650GS looks.

From years of riding bicycles, my thought is when you have a good bike, it would disappear underneath you, it would be come about the ride not the bike, and the F650GS is like that it's a great bike. Next year, I plan to either ride the F650GS to Alaska or take my mountain bike and ride across the Himalaya. To me it's more about the rides and the bikes are important tools to accomplish those rides, and the F650GS is great and also a good looking tool.

mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #35
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Shed :o)
Oddometer: 3,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
If perceived image is big deal to you and you are tall enough then maybe the F800GS might be it, or better yet if you have the fund, the new R1200GSA might be it for you.

My 1st bike was a Honda Rebel 450 and I still have it, I really wanted to to ride it across country and maybe around the world but many critical parts for this bike is no longer available, the bike was uncomfortable for highway riding...So I knew I needed another more capable and reliable bike...I'm also an avid mountain biker and long distance bicycle tourer so bike fitting and comfortablity is very big deal. Since I am also a much shorter guy and the factory lower F650GS fits me just nicely, I bought it last April, then just rode it across country from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City and down Blue Ridge Parkway to Atlanta. I just love this bike, most people I talked to was interested about the long rides, most other bikes I saw on the road are....Harleys, quite few people never saw a BWM GS before, some could'nt tell the differences between my bike and the big 1200GS and I thought my bike cost $20,000. I even got many complements on how good my F650GS looks.

From years of riding bicycles, my thought is when you have a good bike, it would disappear underneath you, it would be come about the ride not the bike, and the F650GS is like that it's a great bike. Next year, I plan to either ride the F650GS to Alaska or take my mountain bike and ride across the Himalaya. To me it's more about the rides and the bikes are important tools to accomplish those rides, and the F650GS is great and also a good looking tool.

Yeah sure but you are a cheater, Your F650GS looks marvelous in these "F800GS like" colors
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
F800GS - The ORANGE ones are faster!!

R1150GSA SE


Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #36
Teli Rides
Adventurer
 
Teli Rides's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Mexico City
Oddometer: 39
is it or is it not...

Hi

Have no doubt it is a perfectly capable bike, I do not consider my self in anyway shape or form an expert biker, I still have way much to learn... But the bike is solid as they come.

- Speed bumps without slowing down, always! this is Mexico, after all, you can find sleeping policemen in the middle of nowhere..
- Keeping up with a K1300 S in tight twisties... of course as the bends get wider my friend smokes me in a heartbeat, I'm talking handling not sheer power.
- Cruising at 100 mph in toll roads all day long
- Riding dirt roads at 40-50 mph and flying over ruts, no problem... Mild stuff, I'm not doing the Dakar, but still faster than any car or, sane mind would
- Going over potholes at speed so deep and wide that would easily destroy ANY car or SUV suspension.
- Having several "Oh Sh$%" moments and coming out amazed about what an incredible piece of machinery this bike is... again, I've not ridden a KTM with modified suspension or the likes...

So far the suspension has only bottomed out a couple times ( I'm on the lighter side) in said "Oh,Sh&!" moments and. Some say that alloy rims are no good, as for now, nothing, not even the slightest dent.

The only thing that has broken so far is the topcase base plate, and that is not a BMW part...

Another good thing about riding it in Mexico, is that the bike is inconspicuous for a big(ish) ride, for riding alone in through god forsaken towns that is a good thing..


Now, for the looks, I'm really not a fan of it, the rims are hideous, the fairing looks way too simple, the new F700 is not that bad but the 800 still looks better, if you don't have height issues go for the F800, for me the F800 is too tall. Also I hate seeing girls riding them on every brochure.. I know I'm shallow, so what...haha!

I think that on the rational side the 650/700 is perfect and I won't need anything else for a while, the bike is far more capable than I am.. now when it comes to bikes, having one that gives you the goosebumps when you see it zoom past you on the road or sit on it on the dealer is more important... and that's why I'll break the bank and trade mine, as soon as the new '13 12 GS hits the dealers...



Cheers
Teli Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #37
Jeuneyer OP
He don't say much.
 
Jeuneyer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: SW-Virginia
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
If perceived image is big deal to you and you are tall enough then maybe the F800GS might be it, or better yet if you have the fund, the new R1200GSA might be it for you.

My 1st bike was a Honda Rebel 450 and I still have it, I really wanted to to ride it across country and maybe around the world but many critical parts for this bike is no longer available, the bike was uncomfortable for highway riding...So I knew I needed another more capable and reliable bike...I'm also an avid mountain biker and long distance bicycle tourer so bike fitting and comfortablity is very big deal. Since I am also a much shorter guy and the factory lower F650GS fits me just nicely, I bought it last April, then just rode it across country from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City and down Blue Ridge Parkway to Atlanta. I just love this bike, most people I talked to was interested about the long rides, most other bikes I saw on the road are....Harleys, quite few people never saw a BWM GS before, some could'nt tell the differences between my bike and the big 1200GS and I thought my bike cost $20,000. I even got many complements on how good my F650GS looks.

From years of riding bicycles, my thought is when you have a good bike, it would disappear underneath you, it would be come about the ride not the bike, and the F650GS is like that it's a great bike. Next year, I plan to either ride the F650GS to Alaska or take my mountain bike and ride across the Himalaya. To me it's more about the rides and the bikes are important tools to accomplish those rides, and the F650GS is great and also a good looking tool.


This is what I'm talking about! I seriously doubt I will ever accoumplish the trips that you have already finished. I guess you prove it's capability and satisfaction longevity.
Jeuneyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:03 AM   #38
Jeuneyer OP
He don't say much.
 
Jeuneyer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: SW-Virginia
Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teli Rides View Post
Hi

Have no doubt it is a perfectly capable bike, I do not consider my self in anyway shape or form an expert biker, I still have way much to learn... But the bike is solid as they come.

- Speed bumps without slowing down, always! this is Mexico, after all, you can find sleeping policemen in the middle of nowhere..
- Keeping up with a K1300 S in tight twisties... of course as the bends get wider my friend smokes me in a heartbeat, I'm talking handling not sheer power.
- Cruising at 100 mph in toll roads all day long
- Riding dirt roads at 40-50 mph and flying over ruts, no problem... Mild stuff, I'm not doing the Dakar, but still faster than any car or, sane mind would
- Going over potholes at speed so deep and wide that would easily destroy ANY car or SUV suspension.
- Having several "Oh Sh$%" moments and coming out amazed about what an incredible piece of machinery this bike is... again, I've not ridden a KTM with modified suspension or the likes...

So far the suspension has only bottomed out a couple times ( I'm on the lighter side) in said "Oh,Sh&!" moments and. Some say that alloy rims are no good, as for now, nothing, not even the slightest dent.

The only thing that has broken so far is the topcase base plate, and that is not a BMW part...

Another good thing about riding it in Mexico, is that the bike is inconspicuous for a big(ish) ride, for riding alone in through god forsaken towns that is a good thing..


Now, for the looks, I'm really not a fan of it, the rims are hideous, the fairing looks way too simple, the new F700 is not that bad but the 800 still looks better, if you don't have height issues go for the F800, for me the F800 is too tall. Also I hate seeing girls riding them on every brochure.. I know I'm shallow, so what...haha!

I think that on the rational side the 650/700 is perfect and I won't need anything else for a while, the bike is far more capable than I am.. now when it comes to bikes, having one that gives you the goosebumps when you see it zoom past you on the road or sit on it on the dealer is more important... and that's why I'll break the bank and trade mine, as soon as the new '13 12 GS hits the dealers...



Cheers
Thanks for your honest review. I understand what you mean about the girls in the ads. It sounds like the general concensus is even though that is the case, the bikes are still respected and regarded as perfectly capable and not really a compromise. The R12 is certainly more than I need or even want at this point. I have a short commute a few times a week and riding with friends on the weekend. I usually only have time for 1 overnight trip per year (for now). I think the F650/700/800 or even a Triumph will suit me fine when I can finally pull the trigger in May. Trying to decide between a bunch of great bikes is a good problem to have.
Jeuneyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #39
CanadaBiker
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Southern Ontario, Canada
Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
If perceived image is big deal to you and you are tall enough then maybe the F800GS might be it, or better yet if you have the fund, the new R1200GSA might be it for you.

My 1st bike was a Honda Rebel 450 and I still have it, I really wanted to to ride it across country and maybe around the world but many critical parts for this bike is no longer available, the bike was uncomfortable for highway riding...So I knew I needed another more capable and reliable bike...I'm also an avid mountain biker and long distance bicycle tourer so bike fitting and comfortablity is very big deal. Since I am also a much shorter guy and the factory lower F650GS fits me just nicely, I bought it last April, then just rode it across country from San Francisco Bay Area to New York City and down Blue Ridge Parkway to Atlanta. I just love this bike, most people I talked to was interested about the long rides, most other bikes I saw on the road are....Harleys, quite few people never saw a BWM GS before, some could'nt tell the differences between my bike and the big 1200GS and I thought my bike cost $20,000. I even got many complements on how good my F650GS looks.

From years of riding bicycles, my thought is when you have a good bike, it would disappear underneath you, it would be come about the ride not the bike, and the F650GS is like that it's a great bike. Next year, I plan to either ride the F650GS to Alaska or take my mountain bike and ride across the Himalaya. To me it's more about the rides and the bikes are important tools to accomplish those rides, and the F650GS is great and also a good looking tool.

Hey Mustard,

Are your rims painted black? Or is it just the picture?

If yes, how'd you do them? Powder coat or paint? If not, anyone out there painted their 658 rims?

Thanks!
CanadaBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #40
betasigscoot
Palaverer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Oddometer: 151
It has been marketed as an "entry level bike", and is a bike I'd let my wife start riding solo if she were ever interested beyond the XR250.

Here's some things that make it more of a newbie bike
-BMW offers a detuned map with only 34hp for the F658, but nothing of the sort for the F800. In my opinion, this is excellent, and should be available for more motorcycles. Many sportbikes have this (and for good reason).
-On the street, the bike has plenty of practical power, but the "fun" factor is lagging past 5 or 6K rpm. Wheelies aren't as easy, and stoppies are almost nonexistent. The front suspension is pretty good for what it is with the Intimators. Riding 2up isn't an issue with this bike, but I find it more difficult to blow the doors off a car, unless they're driving Miss Daisy.

I don't really do any of this stuff anymore, and can't say I miss it.
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #41
Iggster
Tornanti über alles!
 
Iggster's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Oddometer: 75
Love the F650GS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeuneyer View Post
I am most interested in regular guys who already own a F650/700 and how they currently use them as well as if they are wanting something else or are content.
I rented a F650GS in Germany back in June. I had never even seen one "in person" until I was packing the rental. My first impression on the looks was that it was just plain badass. The real fun began when riding it for 8 days through the Alps. I've owned a lot of bikes, old & new, but have never owned a bike that performed like the F650GS did. It was so much fun to ride!

I liked it so much that when I returned to the US, I promptly sold a 1974 R90/6 and found a killer deal on a 2011 F650GS. And when I say "promptly," I mean in less than 2 weeks! I couldn't wait to get out on the local roads that I know well...and there was no disappointment there, no buyers remorse at all.

I use the bike mainly for commuting to work (a whopping 4 miles!), day rides, canyon carving, grocery-getting, etc. I have never been much of a dirt rider, but I have taken the F650 off road quite a few times. I am beginning to enjoy the dirt more and more as I get more comfortable. It's very nice to be able to disable the ABS with a push of a button! I used to have a KTM Adventure 640 and it was just too damn tall for me. Riding it became a PITA and no fun at all. I could be a tad too big for the F650, but...whatever. I'm very comfortable on it and it puts a smile on my face every time I ride it. As to your question, I am far beyond content!

Iggster screwed with this post 10-16-2012 at 10:02 AM Reason: missspelllingg
Iggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:48 PM   #42
maigashi
Gnarly Adventurer
 
maigashi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Saskatoon and Northern Saskatchewan
Oddometer: 102
Seems like a lot of people in here have a hate on for the 800. I own one, after testing both the 698 and the 800 I decided the 800 was just more suitable for off road. Forks were better and more ridged, spoked wheels, 21 inch wheel and much to my chagrin, ground clearance ( 29inch inseam). I was coming off a smaller but also tall bike so it did't feel to awkward, your skills just have to more honed. That all being said the 698 was a wonderful ride and I would buy one in a heartbeat if I was more road oriented. And I like the extra hp. If that requires me to have a small penis, the. So be it.
maigashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #43
GH41
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2011
Oddometer: 822
I am very happy with my 650 after almost a year. I looked at the 800 but didn't need the added off road capability it offered. Off road to us is the occasional dirt road! I wanted a mid size bike capable of hauling my wife two up on day trips. I agree that the 800 looks more aggressive parked in front of Starbucks but we didn't feel the need to impress anyone. When you get old you worry less about what others think. I had a Yamaha 180 in 1970. It WAS a girls bike... I couldn't keep girls off of the back of it!! GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM   #44
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer
 
mustardfj40's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Siicon Valley, California
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBiker View Post
Hey Mustard,

Are your rims painted black? Or is it just the picture?

If yes, how'd you do them? Powder coat or paint? If not, anyone out there painted their 658 rims?

Thanks!
That's how it came from the factory, it's SE (Special Edition) package for 2012 F650GS, the SE came with: 2 tone sun yellow and black paint, blackish gray painted wheels and lower front front, grey rear swing arm and frame, front fender beak (like that of a F800GS), and taller F800GS windshield.

One more pic taken in Utah on the way from California to New York..


mustardfj40 screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 07:07 PM
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #45
africadero
ronny-king
 
africadero's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: belgica
Oddometer: 80
I like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In june I bought a 650 twin for my wife cause she thought the single wasn't smooth enough. It was grey, so I did a paintjob on it, so now it's white, put some TT handprotectors on it and the TT beak extension. Then I took it out for a spin, It was love at first sight.
It's my wifes bike but everytime I get the chance I steal it , I like it so much that I was considering to sell my 1150GSA for a f800gs, not because the 650 is girly or newby but because i'm tall (1m89, don't know how big that is in foot), but giving it a second thought, that would put two similar bikes in my garage, so I think I'm gonna keep the big mule and steel my wifes bike, LOL...
So if you like the 650/700 go for it, no mather what others think or say



PS: I wanted to attach a pic, but that option is gone, can somebody explain what I'm doing wrong?
__________________
'06 R1150GSA
'08 F650GS (twin)+'02 F650GS (single)
'89 XRV650
'01 JC50Q-7
'05 FYM110
africadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014