Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #46
Fluklowskli
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s on the Kawasaki this year, and they are the best rain tires I've ever had. They have extensive siping, far more than the PR 2s do, and they feel very stable and solid in the wet.
I've had good experiences in the wet on PR2s also, for the past couple of years; PR3 on the front this year has behaved well too, but haven't seen much rain to date.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #47
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,053
I am a full time rider in the Seattle area, that equals 9 months of wet weather riding. All the advice given is good, with relaxing and taking it easy being the best advice there is. It's mostly a non issue, but requires some thoughtful respect.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #48
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,084
I ride in the rain a good bit, but less than most in here I would wager.

One thing I've noticed is that every time I've been on a poker run or organized ride where it has started raining someone has wrecked. Those are typically harley events, and the speeds have been typical harley speeds, meaning slow in the turns and a drag race at every light.

I figure those wrecks are a combination of 3 things. Inexperience, freshly rained on road, and speed. A lot of the harley poker run type riders don't ride in the rain, so zero experiance. When it starts raining nobody owns raingear anyways, so everyone just keeps going. Nobody seems to feel a need to adjust speed for conditions, so the pace remains about the same. There may be some panic brake induced slide coming into a turn, I don't know.

My point and opinion is that riding in the rain on purpose and in a situation you are in control of is much safer than getting caught in the rain. If you see a rainy day that's 'ideal' conditions, meaning slow and steady for a few hours, head out for a ride. You'll be able to evaluate your gear and get some seat time so that in less favorable.conditions you'll know what to expect.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #49
Bikehigh
Not Dead Yet

Oddometer: 3,148
If it's a day where it's been an all day soaker, and you're riding on a limitted access highway, be even more vigilant than normal for those who merge or change lanes without looking. As much as people don't look for motorcycles when it's dry, they expect us and look out for us even less when it's raining.
Bikehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #50
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,612
I find that when the weather turns foul, falling back on the old adage, "When in doubt, gas it out." holds true.

Rain, snow, sleet or whatever. The best strategy by far is to pin the throttle and dump the clutch. The bike will eventually find it's own, best solution for the artificially induced traction dilemma. Often times in this case, the sides of the bike will provide the most grip, even more so than the wildly rotating rubber tires.

Rest assured though, should the bike remain upright and the rider manages to hang on through the fishtailing, it will be an exhilarating and memorable ride and a wonderful introduction to motorcycling through all of Mother Nature's little vexations!

This is the first in a series of articles targeted at new or returning riders. Be on the lookout for my next writeup on how to deal with deer, complete with tips on keeping a full body cast from becoming too smelly.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 PM   #51
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,732
Don't run bald tires.

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #52
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,634
Remember to have fun.
The last rain ride I was in was a deluge with the flash flooding and everything, and I had more fun then when it was dry out. I have a little light bike, and the Shinko tires I had on it seemed fantastic, so it was easy to go fast.

No rain gear, everything soaked, and I had a blast.
The worse it is, the more fun I seem to have.
Once you are wet, there is no reason not to enjoy the ride, you are not going to get wetter....
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:33 AM   #53
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,075
Hydroplaning a MC

I once "Hydroplaned" my DR 350 about 50' across a pond, until the front wheel dipped into the water a bit and I went over the handlebars. Best part was... I didn't get wet, I was close enough to the other side that the bike and I both landed on dry ground. The bad part was smashing my ribs into the bars and breaking some of them, very painfull, I don't recommend it!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #54
Okie Preacher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluklowskli View Post
I'll wager you have better chances of getting struck by lightning than hydroplaning on the street...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaplaning
Yeah... About that lightening thing. Most of our storms here on the Plains come with plenty of electricity. The rain and gusty winds don't scare me much. The lightening does. Find some cover and stay there when things are popping.
Okie Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #55
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,732
bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #56
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,075
[QUOTE=bomber1965;19755198][/QUOTE
Now THAT'S a shocker!!
]
Old 10-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #57
vulgar1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Be smooth on the controls and you will be fine. Also stay out of the drip path of oil and such.

I ride year round in the PNW so I spend a lot of time in the rain. It's not that bad. Just watch for the first few minute to let the roads get clear of standing oil and watch for traffic as usual.
vulgar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #58
Wookazoid
Tree Basher

Oddometer: 426
Wow. Glad I read this last night thinking I was going to ride to work today with a 60% chance of rain, which turned out to be Severe Thunderstorm Warnings when I left work. I've ridden dirt bikes for over 40 years but just recently got my license to ride on the street (3 years ago). Rode my XR650L home today with very small hail for a brief time (yes it hurt like crazy), wind and heavy rain. No one was driving over 40 MPH, but it really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My rain suit leaked and it was cold, but glad I got that experience, which is easy to say here nice, warm and dry at my computer. The fun part was wondering what people thought about me.

Greg
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #59
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by crofrog View Post
I agree with that riding in the rain 90% of the time you've got more traction than you think you should, but sometimes you've got allot less than you did 5 feet ago and if it's just started raining pay lots of care approaching stop lights and intersections until it's had time to wash some some of the oil away.
And in some regions you'll encounter pavement that is glassy smooth, and gets incredibly slippery in the rain.

I started riding in the PNW. It rained a lot and it wasn't a big deal. Other than getting wet. But if you live in a place with different pavement, your experience may be much different.

If the pavement looks glassy smooth, if it feels smooth to the touch, it's probably gonna be really slippery when wet.

Other issues in the wet include tar snakes, steel plates, wooden road surfaces (fortunately rare), train tracks, painted lines, gore points etc. And standing water.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #60
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Riding in the rain?

Good tires...

AVOID painted lines at ALL cost...

And number one on the list...gotta be SMOOOOOOOOOTH !!!!!!!!

'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote