User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #106
dammitdave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Great RR!!!

Great write up, Dave! This would make a great slideshow evening at one of the dealership bike nights for non-adv inmates. +1 on the dog fixes-there's no such thing as too much dog lovin' dd
...what this really wants is an outgoing, gregarious, driven, type A; an extrovert, Alpha male P.T. Barnum salesman type with little time left to examine his life or to worry about knocking things off the coffee table with his tail....John Burns

I got the right gal when gas WAS $19 cents a gallon she's has put up with me for 58 years...AK Bike
dammitdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:58 PM   #107
Mr. Cob OP
Howling "Mad", Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitdave View Post
Great write up, Dave! This would make a great slideshow evening at one of the dealership bike nights for non-adv inmates. +1 on the dog fixes-there's no such thing as too much dog lovin' dd
Howdy dammitdave,

When South Sound BMW, first started to sell Ural's they asked me to give a slide show to introduce folks to the Ural, one of the most fun things I have done, it paid very well too.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.
Mr. Cob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #108
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy All,

This is it, the last and final chapter in the Cob rides in Oz saga. I have sent some emails to the folks at the last shop I stopped at in an effort to get some names of the folks I met there but after waiting and getting no response I have decided to just finish this ride report without that information.

The last day of the rideabout, was when I turned the rig over to Jon and he in turn turned it over to its new owner. Not knowing where we were going we were led to "BJ's Bikes and Bits", by a very nice fellow named John and his lovely lady Anthea. John met us at a gas station outside of Brisbane and led us to the shop. John had told us that he had just gotten the rig that they named "Stella" and wasn't comfortable riding at high speeds on the motorway, I told him not to worry to ride at a speed he was comfortable with and we would follow. Heres some photos of John and his rig. John is the good looking guy on the right, his rig was spotless, clean and shiny the rig I had been riding was covered with almost 9,000 klicks of assorted Australian terrain.

Stella, sure is a beauty, I love the pinstripeing on the black base layer.

We arrive at the shop where I'll turn the rig over to Jon.

John looks on as I shake hands with Jon, turn the rig over to him and THANK HIM for having let me ride the rig for a month covering the eastern third of Australia, in the upper left of the photo, Jock is talking to the man who will be buying the rig from John later in the day. I met the man who would be buying the rig but have forgotten his name.

THANK YOU JON.

In this photo, Anthea is in front of John along side of their rig.

I have for over 50 years been a lover and rider of British Iron, being at this shop was a great experience, kinda like taking a trip in a time machine.

Lots of parts for the old bikes.

BJ's, also sold Royal Enfield motorcycles.

This mans name is Preston, ( thank you john for letting me know his name ) we shared many stories as we ate lucnh and talked Brit bikes.

This man rode his rig to the shop, we enjoyed talking for a while, sorry I don't know the name.

Also met and talked to these fellow, it was nice of folks to ride to the shop just to met and talk to me wish I had not lost my notes.

The final odometer reading when I turned the rig over, just a few klicks short of having put 9,000 klicks on it in less then a month.

The new owner with his rig.

A map showing my trip.

And so my wonderful sojourn down under came to a close. After saying goodbye to everyone we rode in Genes car back to his home where we would pack for our flight to the USA the next morning.

I want to THANK from the bottom of my heart my mate Jock for his generosity and incredible tour guide duties. THANK you Jon Taylor for your allowing me to use the Ural whilst on this trip. Thanks to ALL the Aussie Riders who hosted me whilst in your country, thanks to ALL the dealers who helped us and kept the rig rolling with tires and other needs. This truly was a trip of a life time and without the generosity of all involved I would never have had this incredible trip and horizon boarding adventure.

Jock and I would share the flight to the USA where would loose each other whilst going through customs in the LA air port, we would see each other later as he traveled the USA, it was my pleasure to host and guide him for a few days while in my home area. So its done, done, done.

When I got back home I was after seeing all that old British Iron in Oz inspired to get my old Brit bike running again, two days after dragging it out from under a tarp and cleaning nearly a decade of neglect from the carb it kicked to life, here it is a 1968 BSA Thunderbolt.

My final words to this ride report are much like that with which I end all my Ural reports. "IF" reading this ride report will in the future positively influence your decision to buy a Ural, please send me a PM or email stating this. The PM's and emails will help me to maintain the back door sponsorship that IMWA gives me which in turn allows me to continue to keep my rig running as I "ABUSE" it testing factory and personally built parts. THANKS.

My photos, http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/ Help a CHEAP bastard keep his Smugmug, use this coupon ( geyYbNZwLLrl6 ) thank you.

Mr. Cob screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 02:07 PM
Old 01-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #109
theMISSIONARY
hunting and riding!!

Oddometer: 2,112
thanks Mr Cob nice write up

i must pester a bloke "down south" with one to see what the New Urals are like

WR250r of Awesomeness.......now with extra added Awesomeness!
theMISSIONARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #110
Mr. Cob OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMISSIONARY View Post
thanks Mr Cob nice write up

i must pester a bloke "down south" with one to see what the New Urals are like
Howdy the MISSIONARY,

WARNING, "IF" you like the Ural, chances are you'll end up buying one, they kinda grow on ya and before ya know it your other bikes will spend a lot of time sitting in the garage.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:05 AM   #111
CaveDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cob View Post

Later that early evening we made it to Gene's home, Gene is an interesting fellow, he races a sidecar powered by a Harley-Davidson Sportster, his wife Vickie is the monkey. Heres Gene.
They say everyone has a twin, but it takes a true Adventure Rider to go to the other side of the globe to find his.

Excellent ride report, Mr. Cob!! Thanks for sharing!
CaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #112
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy CaveDave,

Yup, me and Gene do kinda look like brothers, I feel sorry for Gene, I have been told by many that "I" have the perfect face for radio.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #113
John Boy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Hi there Mr Cob,
good to see you have finished your write up (Anthea and I have been waiting to see Stella “up in lights”).
I can help with a couple of names here, the fellow you thought was Chris is actually Preston (balding a bit), while Chris can be seen standing behind the counter scratching his face in the second of the “Lots of parts for old bikes” photos. Preston and Chris seem to be the two “main guys” to deal with at BJ’s .
I did meet a couple of the other fellows who turned up that day but do not recall their names either.

I have to say I felt a bit sad for the fellow who was buying the bike, in that he had seen it for sale on Jon’s site and I believe he contacted Jon about it the same day you left with the bike to start your trip. (I think he may have been the first person to approach you when we road into BJ’s, he had been waiting to meet his new bike.)
What made me sad was that he had seen a lovely cleaned up shiny bike in the advert, but by the time he got to see it, as you say, it “was covered with almost 9,000 klicks of assorted Australian terrain”.
Also for those who don’t know, that bike you rode was used in a Kentucky fried chicken add here in Aus; around my parts we jokingly refer to it as the “world famous KFC bike”.

It was quite a “proud” day for myself and Anthea, we had only had the Ural a month or so and already we were rubbing shoulders with a Ural ambassador from the other side of the world.

On another note, we had arranged with Mr Cob to do a ride around us on the highway so Anthea could get some photo/video clips, Mr Cob positioned himself beautifully, rode round us, holding ground for a moment then moving off ahead; unfortunately Anthea had a camera failure (new camera) and, sadly, the opportunity was missed.

John & Anthea.

PS. tragically, Stella is the bike now being discussed over at Soviet Steeds under the heading “Another FD Self-destructs”.
John Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #114
Mr. Cob OP

Howdy John Boy,

Welcome to ADV-Rider, and THANKS for your input to the ride report, I have edited my last chapter and correctly identified Preston, thanks for the help.

I am sure that your troubles with Stella will be taken care of Jon and those who work with and for him are top notch blokes.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #115
nwgs
solarfied

Oddometer: 32,362

The List
nwgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #116
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,105
Nice write up. Sorry about your negative experiences with the blokes you helped out up north, must have been Queenslander's.

It's always good to read ride reports from 'outsiders' and view our great country through their eyes.

Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #117
Snowshovel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Mr. Cob,

Thank you for your service and thanks for sharing. I enjoyed every post. Australia is one place I would love to travel some day!
Snowshovel is offline   Reply With Quote