Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 07:51 AM   #181
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head View Post
I find it hard to believe that the cost of bringing a MotoGP event to a track has anything to do with attendance here in the US.
I quit going to Laguna after spending a ton of money to get there, stay and get treated like a criminal while at the races for bothering to attend. I was willing to pay the prices for food and refreshment while there. I'm late middle age now and then I was at least gray-haired. The police treated me like I'd just robbed a bank or stepped on their donuts.
Because I had a parking pass to an RV area where my friends were. Something that cost a hell of a lot more than parking in the weeds on the hillside.
I was yelled at by cops, that were being paid overtime to be there. The volunteers didn't know exactly where things were; at least those I ran across. I finally found one guy who knew and was able to get me where I was supposed to be only to have a cop follow us into the area and get told I was going to be arrested for parking where my pass clearly allowed me to park.
I can get abused like that anytime I want without paying for it or traveling a few hundred miles right down the coast in Huntington Beach. There are a few cops there who seem more than happy to cuff you on the curb.

The tiny fee I pay to subscribe to motoGP online and motoGPlive on my phone are maybe 10% of what it cost to go to Laguna the last time. I save that money for family vacations to national parks or renting cottages on beaches.
$7 for a liter of water is more than excessive I think.
Sounds like my experience at the MOA National.
But I digress.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #182
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,390
I made that mistake too.

Once.

Food poisoning, a t-shirt and pin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Sounds like my experience at the MOA National.
But I digress.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #183
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,046
A starter battery caught fire in the Tech3 garage last night and burned up a bunch of stuff, along with sprinkler water damage in a number of garages.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:02 AM   #184
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
A starter battery caught fire in the Tech3 garage last night and burned up a bunch of stuff, along with sprinkler water damage in a number of garages.
Tech 3 ready to compete in Austin after garage fire

The Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team would like to thank the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) and local Austin Fire Department staff for their immediate action after a small fire broke out inside Cal Crutchlow and Bradley Smith’s pit garage overnight.

One of the electric starters used to start the Team’s Yamaha YZR-M1 machinery caught fire, but thanks to the high standards of safety and fire prevention at the new COTA track, a sprinkler system was immediately activated and prevented any serious damage.

Computer equipment was damaged but despite the disruption to preparations for the inaugural Circuit of the Americas race, the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team is not anticipating the fire incident causing any problems to its participation in this weekend’s much anticipated first race in Texas.

Team staff will now commence a thorough investigation into the cause of the fire and the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Team would also like to place on record its appreciation to the management and staff at Yamaha for its cooperation in helping the French-based squad be as best prepared as possible for the weekend.

Herve Poncharal – Team Manager:

“Unfortunately there was a small incident inside the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 garage overnight. The process of starting a MotoGP machine requires an electric starter and overnight they are left on charge.

"This is standard procedure and something we have been doing ever since the introduction of the four-stroke era. Unfortunately in the night one of the batteries caught fire. We have suffered quite a lot of damage and of course it is not ideal preparations but thankfully the fire prevention measures undertaken by the Circuit of the Americas and the assistance of the local Fire Department were invaluable in limiting the damage. The sprinkler system was immediately activated and fire crews on scene promptly and I am grateful for that. We will be conducting a thorough investigation to find out why this issue occurred and take the necessary steps to ensure it is not repeated in the future. I would like to apologise to the Yamaha Factory Team, LCR Honda and Cardion AB too, as the sprinkler system was also activated inside their pit area as well. But it could have been much worse and with the fantastic support of Yamaha and others in the close-knit MotoGP community, I am confident we can participate in this weekend’s race without any additional problems."

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #185
ceeco
two wheels at a time

Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by snbrd4evr View Post
I'm flying down tonight and staying at a friends house. Problem is... I don't have a car. I'm willing to shell out $30 (half of parking) and a case of beer to anyone willing to pick me up and drop me off

This is where I'll be staying.

4505 Duval St, Austin, TX 78751

It's 26 minutes from the track (per google maps)

If no one is willing I'm probably gonna be cabbing it and that could suck.
COTA just posted a tweet saying onsite parking will be $30/day for car and $15/day for motos. The map they provide in the same tweet has the parking listed at $60??
ceeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #186
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,046
Is this a dead thread ?

Marky Mark is a half second ahead after FP2.

Zoooooooom.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:08 PM   #187
ErikY.
Insulhater

Oddometer: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
Is this a dead thread ?

Marky Mark is a half second ahead after FP2.

Zoooooooom.
No, we're talking in the Spoiler Thread.
ErikY. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #188
exoff-roadgoat
Will ride for food

Oddometer: 4,140
I was headed north on Wed Thur and Fri after spendin the last month in Texas. There were alot of road warriors headed south. Seems like everyone was loaded down with gear so I assume they were going to the GP. I wish I could have. I had to be home by today. I hope its on TV. Have fun ya'll.

Yep, on Speed at 2:30 till 4..Sweet.

exoff-roadgoat screwed with this post 04-20-2013 at 07:43 AM
exoff-roadgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #189
philosobrad
problem_solvent

Oddometer: 153
Traffic management fail.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 AM   #190
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,196
Perfect weather.

Free KS shirts coming out tomorrow, i see a few here and there.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:25 AM   #191
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post
Perfect weather.

Free KS shirts coming out tomorrow, i see a few here and there.
Got mine at the Austin Vespa/Aprilla/Guzzi store

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #192
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
The inspection at the gate was very cursory. I could have smuggled in a ten pound ham, rather than the two bottles of water and several Atkins bars that I had in my camera bag.

There was no inspection of my person or jacket, so anything in a pocket went through unchallenged.

The one thing that COTA really needs to reconsider is adequate public water fountains. There are water fountains in the Main Grandstand, but those were the only ones I found.

If they have an event in the summer people are going die from overheating dehydration. I don't mind the high prices for most things, but in Texas summers people need to be able access water easily, and not have to stand in line for a $4 or $7 bottle of water if they are about to pass out.

I'm a right wing wacko and hate much of the government, but in this case the city of Austin really needs to step in here and impose some sanity on COTA before people start dying this summer.

You can only be young once. But you can always be immature.
- Dave Barry
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #193
XR-TEX
Watching My Back

Oddometer: 451
Attended the Moto GP today with my boys. Traffic out of the event was problematic to say the least. It was the same deal when TMS opened.
It takes several events to iron out the wrinkles and get the flow down.

This was my first Moto GP event and we had a great time. Coming back next month for the Aussie Super Car event. Should be a hoot. The facility is awesome I think and beautiful to look at. We were sitting on lawn chairs at turn 3 and had a big screen across the track to follow the action when we couldn't see what was happening on the far sides of the circuit. Amazing speed on the back straight! We carried in food and drinks to avoid getting raped at concessions. Great weather today also. Great way to spend time with my sons.
XR-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:51 PM   #194
primate
vagabundus

Oddometer: 2,917
I didn't have much of a problem on the way out, but I waited til after the rookie race (which was the last). Nothing like the first or second ever races at TMS (Nascar)...that one was like 6 hrs to get out. I was home in an hour leaving COTA.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #195
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,332
Perfect weather, great racing.
We were in turn 15, row 4

We spent the night in Lockhart at a brand new Best Western. The local food was super!

See You all next year!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote