Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2013, 02:16 PM   #331
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSteve View Post
Sorry guys, I really wish I could make it but I'm getting married that weekend. Maybe I can sneak out for a quick ride on Sunday morning
That excuse seems a little extreme...I just say I can't come and make up some really cheesy excuse....
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #332
Jeff B
I apologize

Oddometer: 5,152
I"m "In" Balls deep. It's official.

Disconnected......... "The random thing was Grape Ape was there too"
Jeff B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #333
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymanbro View Post
Mapped out about 100 mile loop. Gonna go ride it now. I'm at site 13 in Silver Lake State Park if anybody's bored tonight and wants to watch caveman TV with me later.

YEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!
Are there any gas stops along this route? I've only got about an 80 mile range on my 525 right now

cjbiker screwed with this post 08-29-2013 at 08:52 AM
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #334
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Oddometer: 1,311
Little Dirty Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
Are there any gas stops along this route? I've only got about an 80 mile range on my 525 right now
You'll be fine. My GasGas, oddly enough, LOVES to eat gas. I've got a 90 mile range, but I start looking at 75 just in case. The first gas/food stop will be about 40 miles in and I'll figure out another one to add later on.

BTW, this is gonna be freakin' AWESOME! I felt a little dejected yesterday after some of the tastiest trail I found ended with a landowner and his 150lb Rottweiler. I had a congenial conversation with him (came in to the back side of his gate) and told how I'd come in and that there were no signs, assured him I wouldn't return, and asked which way he'd prefer me to leave.

In any case, today's preride was ALL glory. Found some phenomenal routes (some are on the infamous VT Dual Sport Loop but we may or may not be running them in the same direction) and some great scenic transit sections. Even got stopped by the Bethel Constable because I had lost my license plate in the woods. Fortunately there was still about an inch of it on the back of the bike and I offered to give him the plate number if he wanted to run it. He just laughed and said to have a good day.

Some basics regarding the route: This is NOT big bike friendly. That being said, if you're the kind of guy who loves being slapped in the face with a leather gauntlet, I will not stop you from joining. But if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do this ride. There are some steep, loose, switchbacky hillclimbs, some monster water bars (with BIG drop outs - if you aren't comfortable having both wheels off the ground, you best take it slow or you're gonna faceplant). If you choose to come along on a bigger bike and the rest of the group is constantly waiting for you, I may ask you to find another route back to camp. Don't take this personally if it happens (hell, ask Puggsley-Hobbfather how it ended for him in 2011), it's just in the interest of getting everybody through the route safely and before dark.

I'm confident that even if you tough it out riding your 250 all the way up from CT/MA/NY, you won't be disappointed. Hell, no matter what you ride, it's gonna be fun (riding motorcycles is always fun, right).

Knobby tires and a supply of water are a MUST. I highly recommend wearing offroad gear as opposed to an ADV-type jacket but that's up to you. Some of this stuff will have you sweating and panting more than a Victoria's Secret catalog. I plan on running this route on Saturday and recommend anyone that anyone coming along do their best not to be hung over - you will regret it. I plan on getting really drunk Saturday night to make up for the Friday night light version of CroMag.

And, yes, there will be some files available for those of you who want to strike out on your own - but do NOT go solo. Some of this shit is in the middle of some barely passable and rarely used trails and roads. That said, other parts are public trails and we should expect traffic in both directions as it will be the weekend.

When I get home, I'll post up some video and pics.

For now, Charlie sums it up:

Bring your tiger blood, bro.

fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA
guymanbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #335
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,049
How would a KDX geared for the woods do on the ride. It hates pavement.

Prolly need gas every .6 miles.

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #336
jwrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
IN. Thur., Meat, Bike in truck.
jwrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #337
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot

Oddometer: 2,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post

I can set you up with some dirt wheels for your WRR
cjbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 PM   #338
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,331
In! You had me at "if you have to ask..."

Ok CroMag'ers you've been talking little bikes. Step up. Sound like

GUY

has you covered and you'll need Sunday to recover. The 9 Mile Ride wad epic. This one sounds like it'll trump it!
Quote:
You'll be fine. My GasGas, oddly enough, LOVES to eat gas. I've got a 90 mile range, but I start looking at 75 just in case. The first gas/food stop will be about 40 miles in and I'll figure out another one to add later on.

BTW, this is gonna be freakin' AWESOME! I felt a little dejected yesterday after some of the tastiest trail I found ended with a landowner and his 150lb Rottweiler. I had a congenial conversation with him (came in to the back side of his gate) and told how I'd come in and that there were no signs, assured him I wouldn't return, and asked which way he'd prefer me to leave.

In any case, today's preride was ALL glory. Found some phenomenal routes (some are on the infamous VT Dual Sport Loop but we may or may not be running them in the same direction) and some great scenic transit sections. Even got stopped by the Bethel Constable because I had lost my license plate in the woods. Fortunately there was still about an inch of it on the back of the bike and I offered to give him the plate number if he wanted to run it. He just laughed and said to have a good day.

Some basics regarding the route: This is NOT big bike friendly. That being said, if you're the kind of guy who loves being slapped in the face with a leather gauntlet, I will not stop you from joining. But if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't do this ride. There are some steep, loose, switchbacky hillclimbs, some monster water bars (with BIG drop outs - if you aren't comfortable having both wheels off the ground, you best take it slow or you're gonna faceplant). If you choose to come along on a bigger bike and the rest of the group is constantly waiting for you, I may ask you to find another route back to camp. Don't take this personally if it happens (hell, ask Puggsley-Hobbfather how it ended for him in 2011), it's just in the interest of getting everybody through the route safely and before dark.

I'm confident that even if you tough it out riding your 250 all the way up from CT/MA/NY, you won't be disappointed. Hell, no matter what you ride, it's gonna be fun (riding motorcycles is always fun, right).

Knobby tires and a supply of water are a MUST. I highly recommend wearing offroad gear as opposed to an ADV-type jacket but that's up to you. Some of this stuff will have you sweating and panting more than a Victoria's Secret catalog. I plan on running this route on Saturday and recommend anyone that anyone coming along do their best not to be hung over - you will regret it. I plan on getting really drunk Saturday night to make up for the Friday night light version of CroMag.

And, yes, there will be some files available for those of you who want to strike out on your own - but do NOT go solo. Some of this shit is in the middle of some barely passable and rarely used trails and roads. That said, other parts are public trails and we should expect traffic in both directions as it will be the weekend.

When I get home, I'll post up some video and pics.

For now, Charlie sums it up:

Bring your tiger blood, bro.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #339
Kyle B
"Dirty Jobs"

Oddometer: 703
Guymanbro

You think I could run that route with my GS with the bags on and towing a small bike?
Kyle B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #340
theothersean
dirty boy

Oddometer: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
You think I could run that route with my GS with the bags on and towing a small bike?

only if you bring a come along, some rigging and a bunch of guys .
04 prairie 700 (plow duty)
theothersean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #341
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
As long as you don't mind leaving the GS behind in the woods while you ride the small bike out!

guymanbro screwed with this post 08-30-2013 at 05:43 AM
Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM   #342
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown View Post

There is some pavement - unavoidable, but it is minimal. I did most of the route yesterday and had a distance of ~95 miles over 3:30 hours with a moving average of 25 mph. Overall avg was 22mph so I didn't stop much. With a group, chances are the overall average will go down but the moving average might go up.

Not sure about the gas issue (especially trying to mix it on the way). As for the technical sections of the ride, the KDX would eat it up.

I wish I hadn't forgotten my helmet camera yesterday, I took a couple wrong turns and ended up bushwhacking through overgrown old logging roads. Looked an Erzberg/Romaniacs scenario for a little bit.

Heading out for a full-route run this morning to finalize the 2nd gas stop and get some feedback from other riders on the route. I think it's a real peach of a ride.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #343
guymanbro
da Vermonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
In! You had me at "if you have to ask..."

Ok CroMag'ers you've been talking little bikes. Step up. Sound like

GUY

has you covered and you'll need Sunday to recover. The 9 Mile Ride wad epic. This one sounds like it'll trump it!
Even passed some of the sections of the 9-mile ride. Looked quite a bit different. And then other parts were still identical to the way we encountered them in 2011.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #344
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,801
Quote:
As long as you don't mind leaving the GS behind in the woods while you ride the small bike out!

Soooo... is it the DS loop you're talking about? There's some "interesting" stuff on that loop. Like the big washed out drops that lead to a mudpit, the 2'-3' water breaks that need to be jumped going uphill (need ), the washed out rocky downhill.... we did half the loop on the LC8s last year. I was the slowest of the group, but could get through. It was fun, but I imagine that with another year of rain and riding, the route is even rougher.

Hmm... wanna supply a track if a bigger bike crew wants to gather and ride it separately? Not sure I wanna trailer a bike up there.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #345
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,801
Quote:
I wish I hadn't forgotten my helmet camera yesterday, I took a couple wrong turns and ended up bushwhacking through overgrown old logging roads. Looked an Erzberg/Romaniacs scenario for a little bit.

Ok, maybe I'll bring the little bike...