XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by killfile View Post
and he's going to flip it on ebay, which appears to be the usual:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...#ht_500wt_1021

$2750

Hopefully it will end up in the hands of someone that will treat it right. If it sells at that price it most likely go abroad.
Wow quite a nice little racket

I bought a pair of inop T500s a month ago from a friend for $400, currently doing a low budget-restoration on the '75 and using the much rougher '70 for parts. I guess I can't blaim the guys that make a living off of flipping these things, whereas I'm a person with genuine interest in seeing the bike run and on the road. My friend sold the bikes to me at a 'below market' price because he knew the motorcycles would be put back on the road and respected (ie not hacked to bits and covered in checkerboard stickers).

Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #17
Shocktower
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,326
Quote:
I believe that most of the people that fix, repair and up keep old motorcycles are like a loose knit family. If I had not been given some very kind free advice and been offered numerous bikes from charitable individuals, I wouldn't have the small collection that I have now (all of which I ride). Personally, I'm a little offended when I see individuals that go after exceptional deals, haggle to no end with sellers to get ultra low prices and then flip bikes for high prices.

This thread is a perfect example of that, but thank goodness the bike is now in the hands of someone that is putting some proper work into it, rather than just flipping it:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=772319

In the 90s I bought about 15-20 bikes for between free and $300. I turned around and sold most of those bikes to people in my local motorcycle community for the price I paid, or for slightly more to cover my cost only. One of the last bikes I sold was a fairly amazing specimen that I had purchased for $300, with a number of problems. I took the bike completely apart, did some work, but didn't complete the bike before I decided to move to another state. I sold this bike to a young man that was trying to get started on vintage bikes with his first purchase. I sold it to him for $600, a fraction of what it was worth, but an amount that respected the price I had purchased the bike for, and who it was going to. When I returned home a couple years later, one of the local shop openers came and told me to my face that I had been silly to sell such a bike for such a low price, and that he had gouged every penny out of the poor kid to finish fixing the bike, to the extent of $2000. He was proud of how he had made money off a new individual into the community, I was horrified.

I believe the interconnectivity of the web has grossly inflated the profit margin on vintage motorcycle, as well as the resulting prices. Personally, I think this is a shame, as I see this as people who put money above the love of motorcycles and above working to keep the local and global motorcycle communities alive. For every post like the Kawasaki Triple post, I feel saddened by people's greed and selfishness, but those that are motivated by money are not the types to care about my opinion. I guess I'll have to keep throwing free shows for my local community and trying to broker vintage motorcycle sales at reasonable prices. Anyone want a R50/2 at a reasonable price and promises to ride it instead of flipping it on ebay?

YMMV.
I totally agree, with you, and I think this is not a bragging forum, for what I got and gonna make a killing, yes we really like to see the old bikes, but we ( most of us) don't give a ratsass how big of a killing you made and all the money you are getting for the bike you aquired at a smoking deal. I got a great deal on my RD with low miles but I am not going to sell it, it is my dream bike since I was a kid. So if you scored a bike and are planning to flip for a huge proffit it we don't care

'08 KTM 530 EXC
79 RD 400 Daytona
Shocktower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:17 AM   #18
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by XS500RUS View Post
Wow quite a nice little racket

I bought a pair of inop T500s a month ago from a friend for $400, currently doing a low budget-restoration on the '75 and using the much rougher '70 for parts. I guess I can't blaim the guys that make a living off of flipping these things, whereas I'm a person with genuine interest in seeing the bike run and on the road. My friend sold the bikes to me at a 'below market' price because he knew the motorcycles would be put back on the road and respected (ie not hacked to bits and covered in checkerboard stickers).
]
XS500RUS,
PM if you need any help for that Titan. Do you have any of the 1970 T500-III bodywork? The S logos and the castrator rack are very nice touches to that year, but building up the 1975 is a much smarter choice from the stand point of the gearbox!
Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #19
XS500RUS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
XS500RUS,
PM if you need any help for that Titan. Do you have any of the 1970 T500-III bodywork? The S logos and the castrator rack are very nice touches to that year, but building up the 1975 is a much smarter choice from the stand point of the gearbox!
Mine doesn't have a rack, the tank might be off of a different year bike. It's really rough cosmetically, painted primer gray with a white on the plastic tank cover It's donating the headlight bucket, and some other odds and ends for the '75. The '75 has 36k miles whereas the '70 only has 8k. Both turn over freely and shift through the gears. I'll PM you as the restoration progresses.

EDIT: parts bike might actually be a '72, I misspoke earlier.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #20
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,289
Quote:
. Anyone want a R50/2 at a reasonable price and promises to ride it instead of flipping it on ebay?.

I do! If you still have it, send me a PM. I'm right across the bay. I've wanted one of those for many, many years.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
killfile
49/50

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefromberkeley View Post
I do! If you still have it, send me a PM. I'm right across the bay. I've wanted one of those for many, many years.
PM'd, but I'm trying to move a 1972 Trump now...
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #22
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 579
Wanna really make some serious wedge on a bike:

http://www.goobike.com/bike/stock_8201305B30110319002/

That link takes you to a Japanese used bike website and a page for a '69 T500.

The red 69 is the price. That is 690,000 yen. That is 690,000 divided by 80 = $8,625!

The other comments about the bike are: Very rare bike. First edition model. Great condition for age.

The bike doesn't look to be in much better condition than the first pic of this thread.

You would think the bloody country that made these bikes would have cheap examples coming out of the wazoo!

You boys in the U.S. have it easy regarding used classic bike prices compared to some other parts of the world.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote