ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Will you buy the new KTM 1190?
1190R - Hell yeah, and I'm going to make it bigger, better and badder! 75 18.07%
1190 - Yup, been waiting for this one. 150hp and 17/19s will KILL! 60 14.46%
Multistrada - I've gone/going for better street performance/electronics 5 1.20%
BMW GS - I like big heavy bikes - Go Charlie! Go Ewan! 9 2.17%
NO! I'm keeping my 950/990 forever (along with my typewriter, corded phone, film camera...) 196 47.23%
Really? We need a poll about this? 70 16.87%
Voters: 415. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #61
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark01 View Post
According the dutch importer there is not going to be made another SM & SMT, there no plans.
the adv "road" version is going to replace them both.
Since when does the (very incapable) Dutch importer knows shit about KTM's....

Off course they will tell you that, to have you trade in your SMT for an Adv now and the in 2-3 years time when the 1190 SMT will be here you can buy a new bike agian.

The new Superduke will probably be released at the Eicma in November.
I can't imangine those riding a SMR now are interested in the Adv they want a new 1190 SMR
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #62
Spark01
V-Twin

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
I can't imangine those riding a SMR now are interested in the Adv they want a new 1190 SMR
Your fully wright about this point but i don' know how many of those are sold, but if that aren't a lot of numbers.
than i'm affraid there isn't going to come another type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgerking View Post
Off course they will tell you that, to have you trade in your SMT for an Adv now and the in 2-3 years time when the 1190 SMT will be here you can buy a new bike agian.
Neh mine is 2 years old with 26k km on it, so it can last a lot more years + the new adv has only 27 hp (150hp) more than mine with the CPR filter (123hp). + the weight is a lot lower. so.... i wil keep driving it
Old 10-07-2012, 07:13 AM   #63
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Nope

For the first time I can say that my 05 950 is a keeper. 17k on the clock just had valves adjusted and were perfect. Motors go 100k

Fairly farkled
Jetted perfect-no need for FI. Like simplicity
Brand new XPC seat
New front wheel-rim,hub,brakes
Front suspension just done

Last thing I am going to do is a steering stabilizer and she's a keeper
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #64
Slvrtundevl
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 508
I'm on my second KTM 950.... Love the bikes...but my first bike I lowered the suspension to make it fit... I'm not short by any means ...6ft tall.. But I will be buying the new 1190 if given the option... In fact my 04 950 is for sale in the FM. Because I'm not going through the steps of lowering this one.... Too bad I can't find somebody if 05 or newer to trade me so I can have the shorter suspension.. The added HP is a bonus... I ride 80/20...
Old 10-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #65
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,023
Cool2 RC8 power characteristics

From the words of the developers...

"The power is more geared towards a sports bike"

the LC8 is already slanted that way, I certainly don't want more of that when riding offroad. While some ask for 700/750 etc Adv's, an RC8 with smaller ports & valves & less overlap could make a stump-puller and STILL give us our "old" LC8 horsepower figures which are plenty for real-world use.

---

Being Service Manager at a KTM shop allows you to ride everything- service bikes & new models.

My opinion? In order:

the Super Duke is the best of all the LC8's
the Super Enduro is crazy-fun & sits well
the ADV works well everywhere if too tall for some
the SMT is OK but Honda-like in its vanilla-tude, high (hot) mufflers are NAFF on a sport-tourer
the SMR's are pretty much useless other than in town-even then they're too big & powerful to act as a supermoto- plus they pull your arms out of your sockets which gets old fast

the RC8's are track-bikes with a huge amount of power when spun up- I used to roadrace and I can see why they do well when they have a good rider & team backing it up. Very dedicated riding position.

the 690 Enduro has crap steering lock- worse than many sportbikes. The power is unreal & with some crash protection you could actually use the bike offroad. Super-hot muffler
the 690 Super Duke was built for sidewalk style- the ergonomics suck and keep you from riding the bike as hard as that engine wants, and the wheel sizes & geometry are off- not one customer has ever come close to the edge of their tires, and I can't do much better on test rides. Oh and they shake like hell...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #66
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post

the LC8 is already slanted that way, I certainly don't want more of that when riding offroad. .
apparently there is a dirt mode that leaves it at 100 hp. As far as on road it definitely could use more for horsepower junkies and people loaded down or 2 up touring. If they retuned the power delivery for nice midrange that should do the trick, if not it will suck balls like the 2012 and prior multistrada with nothing but snatchiness until 5k then slingshot. If they just get the fueling down that alone would be a major improvement
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #67
dondesmo
Senior Squid

Oddometer: 85
No

I will keep my '11 990 Adventure Dakar. The last thing I want is more weight off the pavement.
dondesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #68
dunerat
WTF?

Oddometer: 14,223
Thumb

1190 non R ....yup
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 PM   #69
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Keeping my do it all 990, but buying a strada for the city, as 990 just to bold for the streets bith knobbies and 2-1 free flow exhaust, safary tanks and so on))))
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #70
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange spy View Post
One answer is missing. A lot of 990/950 riders out there including me are waiting for a +- 800cc twin Adv
Same
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #71
xrvicker
n00b

Oddometer: 1
As an old user of a very loved Africa Twin , I think the KTM 1190 Adv.R is the perfect alternative to substitute my venerable Queen. However I have to accept that I have some doubts about if it would be as reliable as my Honda which picked up me many times from Barcelona in tho the hearth of Mauritania Mali and Guinea Conackry without any kind of problems. I hope this new KTM will be srtong enough to do the same ... although probably my body is not now in the same conditios as it was. Maybe electronics will help me .... or not...but we have to play to overcome this boring life
xrvicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 PM   #72
paulmlewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Not just yet...

I waited years to buy my first 990. Early ones were just too high for me. After the 2010 was stolen, I got a 2011 with the R map. The bike is a joy. But when I study it carefully it always looks like it sits too low for perfect geometry. The 990R, with taller suspension seems perfectly poised (though too tall for me). But the new bikes, the 1190's, seem better proportioned for shorter riders. I think KTM squashed my 990 a few inches, so it would appeal to more riders... but it makes it look a bit odd sometimes.

The logical outcome of this sort of thinking is the new 1190. I know it is not just about overall proportions - there's more power, longer range, complex electronics and easier maintenance on the new bike. But in the end, the market demands... and companies need to listen to survive. KTM have always had the kudos... the new bike will harness this with extra creature comforts and, I suggest, will catapult them into mainstream success. Something that might irritate some of the individualists in OC (possibly me included).

There is a lot to like on the new bikes except... the bloody ordinary looking tank, the silly low exhaust pipe and the subtle blandness that has descended, like a shroud, over the whole design. And yet, I keep going online and checking it out. I will be having a test ride asap!

But I simply haven't had enough time with my 990 to want to move on to its new sibling. So much of Europe still to explore and so much potential still untapped by me in the 990. It will be interesting to see how current 950/990 owners will feel when riders pass them on the new bikes on tarmac. Pride? - I think not? Envy? - maybe more than they'd like to admit. Desire? We'll have to wait and see. In the meantime I'm planning my first trip to the Stella rally this summer. If anyone wants to ride along from the UK let me know.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #73
choccoloco
Cabin Fever....

Oddometer: 798
I'm keen for the 1190 to get out on the market & more 9x0 owners to start selling and maybe at a reduced price.

Had to sell my 990 last year & will get another when one tickles my fancy.
choccoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #74
paulmlewis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Yes I am sure there will be some good bargains around
Old 03-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #75
Bootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
I'll keep my 990 advR untill a new 800 cc twin will arrive.
but without selling ....the 950 SE
KTM 950 SE 06
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote