Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #1
douthers OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
R1200 GSA pannier rail adjustment

Hi guys,

Hoping for a little advice for a GSA owner with a touch of OCD! I've noticed that the 'crossmember' that runs beneath the registration plate and braces the pannier rails on my '12 Triple Black (4k miles) is out of true, and sits a good few mm lower on the nearside. The bike is running the full set of BMW / TT aluminium luggage.
Although I know I should just ignore it and ride, it bugs me and I'd like to level things up if possible. Is there any adjustment in the rails that I could take advantage of or are some installations 'just like that'? I've checked the rear lamp / reg plate assembly and that looks straight...
Any help / images of the same set up much appreciated

Old 10-11-2012, 04:49 AM   #2
jdbalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Fix

Do the GS Adventure Challenge. Keep the Pannier bags on. And be sure to only drop it on the left side. Or get some assistance, loosen everything up, straighten it all out. Blue loctite every thing and tighten it all up.
jdbalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:32 AM   #3
douthers OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbalt View Post
Do the GS Adventure Challenge. Keep the Pannier bags on. And be sure to only drop it on the left side. Or get some assistance, loosen everything up, straighten it all out. Blue loctite every thing and tighten it all up.
Thanks jdbalt. Option 2 sounds like a plan. I'm going to assume it was installed in a rush!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,069
While haulin' arse..lay'er down to the left..should fix ya up..

Would be tons more fun than loosening the hardware..straightening up and re-tightening..there is ALOT of movement available..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
mrt10x
Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer: 3,144
maybe your center stand is slightly shorter on one side... or your gargage floor is not level
Old 10-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,895
Your license plate just needs a little ground off. A little more off the right should do the trick...

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. If everything is tight it won't be coming off and it won't take but just a parking lot drop to tweak it back out of alignment again.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
BUMOT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Loosen the all bolts and try to relocate the rack. The holes are made with tolerance and you can make a little adjustment. I hope this can help you.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #8
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 5,881
Loosen the rack and grab your sack and jerk both until your happy!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 AM   #9
douthers OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the replies folks... Appreciate it... even the ones that would have had me re-levelling my garage floor and grabbing my sack!
30 mins of work with the socket set and we're all nice and neat now. Not much adjustment but just enough to square things up. Sorted!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by douthers View Post
Thanks for all the replies folks... Appreciate it... even the ones that would have had me re-levelling my garage floor and grabbing my sack!
30 mins of work with the socket set and we're all nice and neat now. Not much adjustment but just enough to square things up. Sorted!
Good Deal..now..go find this guy and let him in on what some good natured ribbing is...he's next door to you..MAY have sand in his mangina..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBMW View Post
Well, you've all told me. I shall hang my head in shame for asking such a ridiculous question, and ensure that it doesn't happen again.
Glad you got it sorted..in all honesty..that's one of those things that drives me up a wall as well..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote