ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:35 PM   #1
ric OP
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Oddometer: 10
final drive fill point on bmw 2012

Does any body where the fill point is on the diff so I can give it 180 mls of new oil
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #2
bobbybob
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Oddometer: 551
On my 2010, there is a fill point forward from the rear wheel speed sensor. The sensor itself can also be removed and used for refilling.
bobbybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Remove rear wheel and you will see it inside of the swing arm.
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer
 
VEGASGSA's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: The Northwet..
Oddometer: 7,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_92606 View Post
Remove rear wheel and you will see it inside of the swing arm.
Please do not try to fill oil into the farkin' swingarm...it'll run out the bottom...

When looking at the final drive...at about 11 o'clock there is a fill plug...the amount is listed in FAQ...it's 180ml or a scoche over 6oz's...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You are not half as ugly as I thought you would be!
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #5
EJ_92606
Rider
 
EJ_92606's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Please do not try to fill oil into the farkin' swingarm...it'll run out the bottom...

When looking at the final drive...at about 11 o'clock there is a fill plug...the amount is listed in FAQ...it's 180ml or a scoche over 6oz's...
Thank goodness you saved him, I'm sure he was about to pour motor oil in there vs. gear oil
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
Oldbear
Don't want a pickle
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fin Land
Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Please do not try to fill oil into the farkin' swingarm...it'll run out the bottom...

When looking at the final drive...at about 11 o'clock there is a fill plug...the amount is listed in FAQ...it's 180ml or a scoche over 6oz's...
The fill plug has moved to about 3 PM on the new vented FD.
Oldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
GB
Mod Squad
 
GB's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, ON
Oddometer: 55,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbear View Post
The fill plug has moved to about 3 PM on the new vented FD.
Form over function.. Why not have it on the outside where it's easy to fill? Because it would look too industrial like the FD on the 11xx series.. No sir, it's gotta look pretty..
__________________
ADV decals, patches & flag? Here
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
holckster
dougholck
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lodi, Ca
Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Form over function.. Why not have it on the outside where it's easy to fill? Because it would look too industrial like the FD on the 11xx series.. No sir, it's gotta look pretty..
Just another reason I "LOVE" my 1150.
__________________
Doug Holck
Lodi, CA
3 Continents - 7 Countries - 50 States

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE


holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
def
Ginger th wonder dog
 
def's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: The woods and mountains of Alabama
Oddometer: 9,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Form over function.. Why not have it on the outside where it's easy to fill? Because it would look too industrial like the FD on the 11xx series.. No sir, it's gotta look pretty..
Motorcycles are now being designed to, as you say GB, to look pretty. Function has been replaced by form, a lot of plastic and some doo-dads that are just plain junk.

Me? I like the drain and fill plugs on my old style final drive, the one without the hole in the middle. These exposed plugs are functional and allow for much more convenient oil changes.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014