Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #1
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
'89 GS Value?

MOVED FROM OLD'S COOL

I've come across a 1989 GS, 27K miles, bone stock. It has been reasonably well cared for and is what I'd call a good example of an outstanding restoration project. Has two seats, the blue double seat and the half seat/rack combination. Both in very good condition. Has both bags which are in great shape and appear to be completely usable. Tires have about 60% tread left. Has a pretty sharp squeak when you push it backward unloaded, with the motor off. Sounds like the rear wheel. Bearing? Brake? Rear drive?

While it's been kept in a garage and had the oil changed regularly, etc, it has aged in other ways. The controls are a little old and feeling loose. The rear drive leaks from the fill hole and from both ends of the boot. Not sure how long it's been left to weep, but the outside is pretty greasy. Motor and carbs appear to be tight. Fork boots and forks have no signs of leakage. Starts and runs very nicely. Feels strong. In short, it isn't a new bike and while it might look nearly new from 50 feet, from 10 feet it doesn't, but it still looks quite good. Don't know if the tranny circlip work or the exhaust valve guides have been done. Trying to find out today.

Two questions here. One, his asking price of $4500 is, I think, somewhat high. I'm thinking more along the lines of $3,500. What do you all think?

Second, this bike is not where I live. In fact, it's like, 1600 miles from where I live. I happen to be working here on TDY through the summer and would love a bike to ride while I'm here. However, I don't have access to my tools, garage, etc. I will also probably want to ride it home when this job wraps up in the fall and restore it. While I don't mind working on bikes and understand that mechanical things fail, I don't want this interfering with the job at hand or costing me a ton of money by having to put it in a shop. What advise might an experienced airhead owner provide?

MotorcycleWriter screwed with this post 07-15-2013 at 11:00 PM Reason: Moved from Old's Cool
MotorcycleWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
dsclothe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Heya,

The price looks pretty good. It seems rare to find a GS, even a non-PD, for less than $5k. Considering the work it needs $3500 sounds very reasonable from a buyer's perspective. If I were the seller I'd try for $4300ish, just 'cause GSes are usually in demand.

Two years ago I got a bike of the same year and roughly same condition. 42k mi, a bit leaky from rear, middle and front, not a garage, trailer, or any other kind of queen. Corbin double seat, nice windscreen, no bags, got it for $3900. Rode it less than a thousand miles before finally getting it to a mechanic this summer. Including tires, a new coil, a thorough going over including yanking out the driveshaft I got out of the shop for $2100. Rides great, save for lightly dusting one of my legs with brake fluid on a ride last night. And the headlamp oscillating in brightness a bit more than I'd prefer.

If I were shopping now I'd look hard to find one with the circlip, driveshaft, and rear shock sorted, and depending on farkles I'd budget up to $5500. For an especially nice PD with this work done.
dsclothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsclothe View Post
If I were shopping now I'd look hard to find one with the circlip, driveshaft, and rear shock sorted, and depending on farkles I'd budget up to $5500. For an especially nice PD with this work done.
What's with the driveshaft and rear shock?
Old 07-15-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,951
you'd get more answers if you post in the approriate forum. Airheads. Be nice and ask a mod to have the thread moved.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
you'd get more answers if you post in the approriate forum. Airheads. Be nice and ask a mod to have the thread moved.
When I posted I thought it was in the airheads forum. Hit the wrong icon I guess and didn't check the top of the page. Noticed it this morning and thought the same thing about having it moved. But... who do I ask? Can I just put on my trusty old Highpoint ProGP boots, click my heels together three times, and say to myself "There's no place like Airheads,... There's no place like Airheads..."
Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #6
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
When I posted I thought it was in the airheads forum. Hit the wrong icon I guess and didn't check the top of the page. Noticed it this morning and thought the same thing about having it moved. But... who do I ask? Can I just put on my trusty old Highpoint ProGP boots, click my heels together three times, and say to myself "There's no place like Airheads,... There's no place like Airheads..."
That would be pretty impressive!!! MODS are listed at the bottom of the main page. kbasa and Flood

Oh, and sounds like a pretty fair price. Paralever guys will chime in as far at the FD is concerned. Join the "airheads" and you'll probably be able to get a few people over to help with the lure of beer. Where in NA are you on TDY? Oh, is the bike near you presently?
Old 07-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
dmftoy1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
3500 around here would be a screaming deal for that bike. I never see them for less than 4400-5000
dmftoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 PM   #8
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

Gack! My arm!!! Ouch! What the -

Oh, it's just you blokes #@$%^&! twisting it off. Y'all are going to make me buy this pearl, ain't ya!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #9
jellycow
Back on track!

Oddometer: 722
Yep!
Old 07-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
sitting on the fence too long

You have been sitting on this fence a long time.

I just purchased a low milage 32K ..88 R100GS.

Since then I have redone the heads be the PO mechanic did a shitty
job and changed all the fluids. I also experimenting on ceramic coating the heads and top of the pistons to have a hotter combustion chamber . Cleaned the carbs.

Sounds like a great deal at 3500 good deal at 4000. Here is the truth.. they are gonna get more expensive every year.

Oil leaks in the boots could be a cracked boot. No big deal. I think I would ask for his service records and who has maintained the bike. If it is the seller than it is a toss up on what you are buying.
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #11
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Old 07-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
MotorcycleWriter OP
Studly Adventurer

I live in Alabama but am traveling to Tucson every few weeks for a week or two at a time for work. Wanted a bike to ride while I'm out here. So sitting on the fence is really either being here or not. I'm also away from my tools and workspace so am being more careful than normal. That said, I offered $3,700 today and he accepted. Will pick it up tomorrow!

It doesn't appear to have been detailed in several years. Just washed off. The leakage around the final drive boot isn't that bad considering. I looked for cracks but its just seeped slowly like my RT does. There's some oil on the bottom of the engine too.

Again, looks like a 24 year old bike that's not been used much lately or detailed in a while. Older owner with other interests. But, it starts, drives, steers, shifts, stops, and sounds great. Doesn't smoke. Doesn't smell like gas. I'm not going to worry about it for now and just ride it on these wonderful roads!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #13
Travmoto
almost there...

Oddometer: 221
Looks very tidy! Congratulations
Travmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorcycleWriter View Post
I live in Alabama but am traveling to Tucson every few weeks for a week or two at a time for work. Wanted a bike to ride while I'm out here. So sitting on the fence is really either being here or not. I'm also away from my tools and workspace so am being more careful than normal. That said, I offered $3,700 today and he accepted. Will pick it up tomorrow!

It doesn't appear to have been detailed in several years. Just washed off. The leakage around the final drive boot isn't that bad considering. I looked for cracks but its just seeped slowly like my RT does. There's some oil on the bottom of the engine too.

Again, looks like a 24 year old bike that's not been used much lately or detailed in a while. Older owner with other interests. But, it starts, drives, steers, shifts, stops, and sounds great. Doesn't smoke. Doesn't smell like gas. I'm not going to worry about it for now and just ride it on these wonderful roads!

congrats! Wrap the boot with rescue tape. It will stay put until you
get to your garage.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1210572...Types&var=sbar
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #15
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 524
I'd say you did very well indeed sir!

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote