ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
dilyb OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question Lightweight Helmet?

So I've done the forum search here and on TT and still haven't found a good recommendation for a lightweight dirt helmet. The Airoh and other europeans are risky for me as I need to try 'em on my weird head (yeah, outside as well as in). I've also heard about Kali, TLD Air and more but need some solid data ... and user rec's.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I run a shoei vfx-w, great lid but not the lightest overall but still a pretty light lid. They say the the solid white is the lightest, ounces less than the graphic coming in at 3 pounds 4 ounces. It vents incredible, extremely comfortable and build quality is 2nd to none.
http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/N...RTS--3038.aspx
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
I took the risk and bought an Airoh Stelt. I have definitely noticed less neck fatigue. I wear this same helmet for downhill mtn biking. If your Head is Shoei shaped it should fit well. Just measure your head well.

I got mine from dirt bike express in uk off eBay. I weighed mine and it was just a hair over 2 lbs. I thought the box was empty when it got here. 6 days from uk.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"

Kootenai Rider screwed with this post 10-05-2012 at 03:44 PM
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER

Oddometer: 824
I can offer a few insights as I am a dealer for Airoh, pm me if you have any questions.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
fractalsource
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Ultra-light carbon fiber helmets: http://akumahelmets.com/2012/index.php/helmets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilyb View Post
So I've done the forum search here and on TT and still haven't found a good recommendation for a lightweight dirt helmet. The Airoh and other europeans are risky for me as I need to try 'em on my weird head (yeah, outside as well as in). I've also heard about Kali, TLD Air and more but need some solid data ... and user rec's.
Just a thought: Summary
Ultra-light carbon fiber helmet is comfortable, has good air flow and is relatively quiet.

The Akuma Phantom II is designed as a no-nonsense "Made For Racing" (MFR) design.

Another first: the Akuma Phantom II is the first motorcycle helmet to have a genuine Transitions SOLFX brand photochromic visor installed as standard equipment

Check it out. I want one. Do You?
fractalsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Superpacman13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Airoh Aviator
Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
wdsrdr
n00b

Oddometer: 6
noggin protection

ive owened the airoh dualsport helmet since the windshield visor and dirtbike style sungaurd helmet first became popular bout three or four years ago. love the airoh. very easy to take apart and throw in the wash . i bought the matte black so it can be really hot on a humid summer day. since it was my only good helmet for a while i took the visor off so i could wear goggles while riding the woods bike. now i cant get it back in cause the internal hinge bolts are rusted ( cause i pressure wash it) and i cant get the visor back in. i have since purchased a klim f4 helmet for the woods and they claim it is one of the most vented on the market. it is also very easy to take out soft parts and throw in the wash. it also come with a gore windstopper liner for the winter that makes it a very versatile helmet! i am now considering the fly dualsport helmet with a windsheild that ive found for 100$ very cheap that allows me more farkles elsewhere. after writing this im wondering why you wanting lightweight? for less neck fatigue, then u need to chose one with less wind drag for the highway, or truly one thats lighter for putting around in the woods.
wdsrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdsrdr View Post
after writing this im wondering why you wanting lightweight? for less neck fatigue, then u need to chose one with less wind drag for the highway, or truly one thats lighter for putting around in the woods.
Pretty sure he said dirt. The Airoh does suck out on the highway since it is so light plus the vents catch a lot of air.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
tundradirtbiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
I've had the Airoh aviator for 2 yrs. The large is the same as a Large HJC. Fits the same shape head as well. If you pay big bucks for a lightweight, it should be 1000 grams for a large Airoh. Most lightweight US helmets are 1300-1350 grams. This is a dirt only helmet.

Newer helmets have real venting for the hot weather. Bought one in the UK for a friend recently. Better liner and hub for neck brace use. It ran $475 including shipping.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
I like my Klim F4

I didn't weigh my Klim F4 helmet it but it's light, comfortable adn looks great.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by fractalsource View Post
Ultra-light carbon fiber helmets: http://akumahelmets.com/2012/index.php/helmets

Just a thought: Summary
Ultra-light carbon fiber helmet is comfortable, has good air flow and is relatively quiet.
Been looking at the Suomy too-looks good.
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Pro_Marinero
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,087
Maybe a dumb question, but what is the purpose of the helmet that you're looking for? Is it to be able to stand for long periods of time while riding tight trails in 1-3 gear? Or is it an overall helmet for all riding that is just purely lighter? The reason I ask is that I am also looking for a lightweight helmet with a chinbar for riding my trials bike on trails. The trials helmet I have now works great but I feel a little naked when I get up above about 20 mph, and the fastest the bike can go is only about 35 mph WFO in 6th. For my purpose a simple 661 BMX helmet or a downhill helmet is plenty.

If you're looking for less neck strain while standing the key is to find one that is cut high in the back like a trials helmet. Downhill helmets have this. Now if you're strictly looking just to get light for everything than maybe something like the Airoh is the way to go but it seems like you could spend a lot less and get the job done if its only tight slow trail riding. Just my .02
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,653
Bought a Kali moto helmet. Unreal light weight, nice and cool, super gory graphics but incredibly easy on the neck and shoulders. It's smaller than my other helmets too.

http://www.kaliprotectives.com/moto/

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:08 PM   #14
Pete156
I love to eat!

Oddometer: 1,440
I bought my first Airoh about five years ago through Dirtbikeexpress. A Stelt at 1000 grams, it is half the weight of other brands, new one is 950grams. The weight, or lack thereof makes all the difference in the world when dirt riding. No neck fatigue at all. Feels like no helmet at all, and absolutely love them. Legal for AMA racing but not DOT or SNELL.

1000 CBR
200 KDX

Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
dilyb OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thank you all!!

Wow! Great responses guys ... thanks. My quest here has been for a lightweight trail riding helmet, one that minimizes neck strain. I've had some fused vertebrae and don't want anymore load than necessary. And I'm not concerned about wind resistance too much as I ride exclusively dirt single track.

The comments I've seen here are helpful ... and so are some messages and discussions I've had outside the forum. Here's my two cents for others on the same quest:

I found some very helpful local shops, Brian at Atomic Moto and Alex at Konflictmotorsports ... good guys and shops! They offer more than just "internet wisdom".

The major brands have OK weights but not real LIGHT weight dirt helmets. For the REAL lightweights I'd recommend:

Airoh (Stelt), Kali and perhaps Vega (CF). These are truly light and still safe.

I wouldn't go with BMX or Downhill helmets if I valued my life ... not enough protection.

And the wisdom from my early life from Bell Helmets comes to mind right now:

"If you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet ... if your head is worth more, wear a Bell"

Thanks again guys!