ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
lincolnlock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
My brother and I both wear Klim F4 helmets. They are light and you can "tune" them to your head with different size pads. Plus they keep you from sweating out your goggles in the slower stuff.
lincolnlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,351
I got the Klim F4. I may not be the lightest but it is pretty light. I was looking more for something with plenty of ventilation because I am out of shape and ride slow. It does ventilate very well - but then I don't have any other state of the art dirt helmets so I can't compare.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilyb View Post
I wouldn't go with BMX or Downhill helmets if I valued my life ... not enough protection.
Yeah, those downhill guys don't need that much protection?!?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #19
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Been looking at the Suomy too-looks good.
I had a Suomy helmet, it got helmet funk really really fast, like three months of riding.
I tried a lot of things to get the smell out and I finally ended up throwing it away.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
mcjunky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
HJC has a new high end helmet out called the RPHA X, Chisholm was using it all last season.
They say the medium is coming in at 2.86 pounds and I think MSRP is around 360ish.
It's from the same line as their rps10 road race helmet Spies has been using in moto gp.
I'd like to see one, I know the build quality on the rps10 is very impressive! Plus it comes with a 5 year warranty
mcjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #21
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

I have a buddy who has been trail riding with a downhill bicycle helmet and swears by it. This thread got me thinking, so I went and checked some out. I ended up buying a Bell Drop helmet. It is very impressive, all fiberglass shell, removeable liner, great ventilation, and the most nose to chin bar clearance af any helmet I've ever tried (critical dimension for me). It seems very solid, very similar to a motorcycle helmet, but weighs just over 2lbs. I don't think I would ride the Desert 100 or a Supermoto track with it, but for casual single track, it seems fine. And best of all I got it for $73 and it only lists for $129. Here it is:

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #22
bunnyDrug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
what is the arioh like at high speed? motorway cruising?
I love the look of them, but my arai tour cross is nice as it doesnt buffet and the faceshield helps since im on a naked - no windshield for me until i get my adventure bike :)
bunnyDrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #23
Aquanout
Hooliganantic

Oddometer: 748
Yep on the mountain bike helmet, I have a sixsixone. Wouldn't ride it on pavement, but trail and trials its awesome.
Aquanout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
dilyb OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Mountain Bike helmets?

Wow, good feedback challenging my mountain bike helmet caution ..

Why do you guys with MTB helmets feel concerned about riding The Dez 100 or whatever with one on?

Either it's safe ... or it's not. It seems like a 5 mph tip over in rocks "could" still do as much damage to your head/helmet as a 50 mph fall in the desert ... an admittedly brazen assumption. But then so is riding even single track with a MTB helmet ...

I'm NOT looking for a road or touring helmet and rarely ride off road with even shoulder pads.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #25
WetSideRider
Recidivist Dirtbag

Oddometer: 1,115
l would be concerned only about multiple hits in a higher speed get off. Single tracking and trials riding rarely gets above 15-20 mph for me. Even up to 35-40 for gravel roads seems reasonable, though if I do a lot of gravel, I'd wear a MC helmet just for the warmth over an MTB hat.
WetSideRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:39 PM   #26
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyDrug View Post
what is the arioh like at high speed? motorway cruising?
I love the look of them, but my arai tour cross is nice as it doesnt buffet and the faceshield helps since im on a naked - no windshield for me until i get my adventure bike :)
Not that great. I mean, I'll wear it on a dual sport ride if I know the speeds are going to be low, but I took it on a ride that involved a bunch of highway to get to the camp from my place, about an hour and a half at 60-70, and it wasn't that fun.

The trip back was also windy, and my neck hurt from it being buffeted around. I wish I had my Arai XD on that day.

That said, for all my single tracking or riding way too fast on the little bikes, its great, but on the KLR out on the highway, not fun.

My reasons for helmet choices

1) Street/DS - Arai XD, good DS helmet with flip up screen that I can wear goggles with too. Heavy enough to be steady at highway speeds. Less neck fatigue from buffeting due to less of said buffeting.

2) Single track - Airoh Stelt, light weight and good ventilation. The light weight seems to contribute to less neck fatigue out on the trail.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilyb View Post
Wow, good feedback challenging my mountain bike helmet caution ..
Why do you guys with MTB helmets feel concerned about riding The Dez 100 or whatever with one on?
Either it's safe ... or it's not. It seems like a 5 mph tip over in rocks "could" still do as much damage to your head/helmet as a 50 mph fall in the desert ... an admittedly brazen assumption. But then so is riding even single track with a MTB helmet ...
I'm NOT looking for a road or touring helmet and rarely ride off road with even shoulder pads.
From my experience of 40 years of dirt riding, 30 years of street riding, and 20+ years of racing on pavement and dirt, I disagree. I'm not sure if you've ever ridden the D100, but I know several people who have been badly injured in it and have ridden the poker run a few times myself. High speeds over sharp rocks presents a much larger danger than relatively slow trail riding. Can you get hurt going slow? Sure, but the odds and possible impact speeds are much different. I personally don't ride off road with out full gear including a neck collar, but feel comfortable with the MTB helmet on trails.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 03-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #28
bunnyDrug
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Not that great. I mean, I'll wear it on a dual sport ride if I know the speeds are going to be low, but I took it on a ride that involved a bunch of highway to get to the camp from my place, about an hour and a half at 60-70, and it wasn't that fun.

The trip back was also windy, and my neck hurt from it being buffeted around. I wish I had my Arai XD on that day.

That said, for all my single tracking or riding way too fast on the little bikes, its great, but on the KLR out on the highway, not fun.

My reasons for helmet choices

1) Street/DS - Arai XD, good DS helmet with flip up screen that I can wear goggles with too. Heavy enough to be steady at highway speeds. Less neck fatigue from buffeting due to less of said buffeting.

2) Single track - Airoh Stelt, light weight and good ventilation. The light weight seems to contribute to less neck fatigue out on the trail.
Cheers, that pretty much rules out the MX style lids I have been looking at. I actually own an Arai XD, only problem is that I bought a pair of 100% goggles... They fit, but I can't get the visor down! looking brilliant is one thing but I have worn them 3 times since I cant shut the visor which is pretty annoying
bunnyDrug is offline   Reply With Quote