User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
roadapple OP
Curve carver

Oddometer: 143
Are low mileage oil changes necessary?

If you have a bike or car that only gets 1000 easy miles per year on it, how often does the synthetic oil need to be changed? I can't imagine that the oil would be deteriorated enough in a single year to warrant an annual change - which is usually recommended by the manufacturer. If you go by mileage alone, 5 or 6 years? I probably wouldn't do that but every 2nd or 3rd year? I'd bet that a lot of us have a 2nd, 3rd, or 8th vehicle that falls into this category.
roadapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,580
IMHO folks that change out oil early, especially synthetic are wasting resources.

I've known folks to run the same dino oil for 100k+ miles with just constantly changing oil filters and topping off. that was on an old Volvo... last I heard he had 300k+ miles before rebuilding.

don't get me wrong, not saying you should never change your oil. but some folks take it to extremes with little to no benefits.
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
It depends on how it is stored when not being ridden. If it's kept in a temperature controlled and dry storage, then it is probably OK to go a few years between. If not, though, condensation in the cases with changes in temperature will contaminate the oil and cause deterioration, and the oil should be changed at least annually.

PhilB
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (235,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
IMHO folks that change out oil early, especially synthetic are wasting resources.

I've known folks to run the same dino oil for 100k+ miles with just constantly changing oil filters and topping off. that was on an old Volvo... last I heard he had 300k+ miles before rebuilding.

don't get me wrong, not saying you should never change your oil. but some folks take it to extremes with little to no benefits.
Somewhere on the net is a long range test using a Pontiac Trans Am, no oil changes, only topping off. The oil used was Mobil 1 and they found that the protective additives increased the longer the oil went unchanged. The last I read the test car was doing great. Over-the-road trucks seldom ever change oil, using only very effective filters they motor on with small amounts of oil added.

Many people change their oils too frequently because of fear. Their ignorance is used against them by service centers and oil sellers but mostly by the herd of fearful ignorant fools they hang out with. Disgusting disease carriers the lot of them.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,210
Depending on the climate, some motor oils precipitate waxes during the winter season. If the engine is not used and operated to full operating temperature, these waxes can cause sludge and other undesirables.

So, an engine with infrequent operation should receive an oil change at the recommended intervals. I would opt for non-synthetic oil in this situation.

As for old Volvos, I had 5 of them with the B21 engines. That engine design was extremely reliable and rugged. The only con was the Bosch K-Jetronic FI system. It was junk. Some owners removed the Jetronic and installed carburetors.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Storage is the issue. Cycle Canada did a bit where they put a light bulb in a clay flower pot. It kept the temps under the bike cover fairly stable. The case temp never really changed. Condensation not a problem.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #7
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,429
I found some unopened oil in my garage and was concerned about using it, shelf life. Searching said 5 years in the bottle was okay to use. 5 years in an engine is different. It's an oil question so all kinds of answers are possible.

Mobil 1 told me I should change the oil every year, but that may be for their sales and liability.

Another angle is odds. $15,000 hot rod motor or $40 per year oil change.

Do synthetic oils precipatate wax?

Pontiac Trans AM no oil changes only topping off. Every 5 quarts of top off equals an oil change.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #8
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Do synthetic oils precipatate wax?
Depends on the base stock used. Some paraffinic base stocks may still be waxy even after a trip through the de-waxer at the refinery.

The way to eliminate the wax is to use a synthetic with an ester base.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
Pontiac Trans AM no oil changes only topping off. Every 5 quarts of top off equals an oil change.
The only problem with that is that, depending on the Noack score for the oil in question, the viscosity may change considerably over time. And, we don't want that do we?
Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,985
It layed in the ground for a million years it will last in the car for well over a year.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Their ignorance is used against them by service centers and oil sellers but mostly by the herd of fearful ignorant fools they hang out with.
Many of the drive-through oil change centers use bulk oil that is pretty low on the add pack, just enough to achieve the latest API rating SL or SM. Also, these oils tend to sludge pretty heavily especially in some of the SOHC or DOHC engines that tend to run a bit hot.

I have treated my daughters Acura engine (she routinely has her oil changed at these centers) with Rislone to remove sludge and filled the crankcase with Castrol GTX 5w-30. The engine is now quieter and the valve components visible through the oil filler port show clean. Mileage improved a bit, as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
The Evil Twin
Boxer Freak

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
It layed in the ground for a million years it will last in the car for well over a year.
Best answer EVER!
CCS #132 Sponsors: DC-Moto.net, Amsoil, Manassas Honda Kawasaki, MARRC
2014 RCGT #1, Superbike #2 OA Mid Atlantic
2013 Amateur of the Year
2013 RCGT #6 OA Mid Atlantic
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote