Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
PenultimateMan OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 53
Snowy, could you maybe find me a link of the sort of thing I should be looking for? Maybe an eBay listing or a parts distributor link?

And thanks again to everyone for all of the help!

But I got laid off.
PenultimateMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #17
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomZ View Post
Good grief, haven't even got the bike and already trying to change what you "think" is a lousy component? Wait till you get the bike, ride it, and then decide. It blows my mind when working with customers who are looking at a new bike who say "well if i buy the bike i'll need to get a taller windshield" or "i'll need to change the stock tires." People give the interwebs too much credit, just ride the bike and see. For 2013 the F800GS is vastly improved over it's predecessor. Buy it, ride it, and then tweak as needed

Rant over, GL with the new bike
A'hem.....I HAVE a 09 F8GS...I HAVE ridden a 2013 F8GS, and I am going to either keep my improved 45mm front end, or do an upgrade to the 2013 43mm. nuff said.

On the posts about the F8 not being a dirt bike?....I used to think like that..:)..but just spent 10 days on the dirt, in the hills, on gravel roads, on single track, up hills, through creeks........this thing suprised the hell out of me. The longer the trip went, the smaller the bike felt.
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #18
greenthumb
b00b

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
At the end of the day, I'm mostly miffed about having a long-standing plan in the form of the Shiver swap pulled out from under me
I'm sure you could find someone here that would be willing to trade your brand new WP's for their old "shit" M's, and you could carry on with your grand master plan.

greenthumb screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 10:04 AM
greenthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #19
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Before anybody just starts buying parts from a motocrosser I would advise you to do your research and think it through properly.

Brake calipers and how to mount them, ABS, master cylinder size, discs, axle and wheel spacers, fork length, fork stroke, spring rate and length, valving, offset of the forks, offset of the triples, stem length and diameter, fork tube spacing, steering stops, clearance, handlebar mounting, damper mounting, fender mounting, brake lines, etc etc.

That's only off the top of my head.

It is certainly doable - more than one example running around on the forum - but it will take some combination of time, money, suspension knowledge and metal working skills, so don't go thinking that everything will just bolt on because the steering head bearings are the same.

That being said, I am looking forward to seeing some more BMWs with proper suspension built by the skilled members of this board! I can honestly say that mine is now much better off road than the 990 Adventure that is parked next to it. Now where do I find an extra 20 HP to smoke it on the street as well....

LukasM screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 07:18 AM
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:33 AM   #20
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Complete Suzuki front end, billet triples, billet hub, super HD spokes, toughest of the Excel dirt bike rims, motard 320mm disc, spacer bracket to suit Nissan 4 pot caliper.

Depending on the model year front end, steering stops are easy enough. I've made frame stops to suit the 07 RMZ before, easy to weld on. also made a new tab style stop for one DRZ triples swap, also easy to weld on.

Brake lines off the dirt bike, braided for your stopping pleasure.

Remounting the ABS ring may or may not be an issue depending on the centre to centre across the disc mounts. 120mm and 6 bolt is ideal from memory.

Small bracket made up to mount the ABS pickup off the left axle clamp.

Twin walled fat bars, with risers. All the standard hardware swapped over.

A simple bracket fabricated to mount off the handle bar bolts under the triple for the steering lock is what I always do for these types of swaps, because it's quick and easy. Yep, if you pull half the front end apart you can defeat the steering lock. If the thieves have that much time, the bike is already gone.

After ordering a new R1200GSA, and being informed a week later there are none available for another month or more, I may just put this back on the "to do" list. The only piece I need is the billet hub.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 AM   #21
kaijb
ianb

Oddometer: 115
custom tripples

Snowy, EMIG now do a F800 triple and he will custom bore them to your requirements.

http://www.emigracing.com/
kaijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

So, I had been having a similar conversation with Gary. Custom triples could be had for under $1500, including everything you need excluding the ktm parts (fork, wheel, calipers, rotors)

Lukas, can you use the 990 wheel with front twin disks, and twin brembo calipers? How do you get the calipers to line up with the disks given the triple will have the bmw spacing, but the fork ends will be whatever is on the WPs?

Also, how did you get the abs to work?
Old 10-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijb View Post
Snowy, EMIG now do a F800 triple and he will custom bore them to your requirements.

http://www.emigracing.com/
I have emailed Gary. Now I eagerly await the answer.

Oh, and there are no R1200GS in the country, not until end of November. Order cancelled.

They sold the demo KTM. I can only "test ride" the last new one they have if I sign the paperwork first. They want stupid money now, because it's the very last one they're selling before the new model 1200 thing.

Super Tenere...buy in Sydney $18500 with panniers/bashplate/heated grips. Buy local $21000 and you get....nothing extra, plus they're all 2010 models.

A new F800GS will cost $22000 on the road. There is really no significant difference between the new model and the original. Nothing worth trading up to at any rate.

High time I bought a road bike and gave up on this shit. Maybe I could just start doing hard drugs...then it would all make sense. No wonder the bike industry here is completely shit.

So I'm putting new tyres on my F800, full service, change the fork oil to 10 wt (from 7.5) to make it work better 2 up, and ride it until it dies.

It is insured for a substantial amount....
Old 10-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #24
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
?

i still dont understand why bmw hasnt addressed the 3 main issues:

1. suspension

2. wheels

3. that fuct seat

all this since day 1 have been shit - you would figure that the best enduros on the market would evolve and fix these problems instead of making themselves look like clowns- or me a clown for buying one.
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #25
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Snowy;19793532]I have emailed Gary. Now I eagerly await the answer.

Oh, and there are no R1200GS in the country, not until end of November. Order cancelled.

They sold the demo KTM. I can only "test ride" the last new one they have if I sign the paperwork first. They want stupid money now, because it's the very last one they're selling before the new model 1200 thing.

Super Tenere...buy in Sydney $18500 with panniers/bashplate/heated grips. Buy local $21000 and you get....nothing extra, plus they're all 2010 models.

A new F800GS will cost $22000 on the road. There is really no significant difference between the new model and the original. Nothing worth trading up to at any rate.

High time I bought a road bike and gave up on this shit. Maybe I could just start doing hard drugs...then it would all make sense. No wonder the bike industry here is completely shit.

So I'm putting new tyres on my F800, full service, change the fork oil to 10 wt (from 7.5) to make it work better 2 up, and ride it until it dies.

It is insured for a substantial amount....[/QUOTE
Who are you paying $22k to? Mine was $19k drive away.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #26
PatrickM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
Charity. I got mine in Reno NV and there was this gal named Charity...

"Yes honey, smiling because I helped a Charity out this month with a little cash..."
PatrickM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #27
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM View Post
Charity. I got mine in Reno NV and there was this gal named Charity...

"Yes honey, smiling because I helped a Charity out this month with a little cash..."
And was she that good?
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:37 AM   #28
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Price from the local BMW dealer. They were only $19K on limited time special offer. Then back up.

An R1200GS was $28500 here, and I could order one for $27000 in Sydney.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Price from the local BMW dealer. They were only $19K on limited time special offer. Then back up.

An R1200GS was $28500 here, and I could order one for $27000 in Sydney.
Still 19k....19300 to be precise, at Doncaster BMW.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #30
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Still 19k....19300 to be precise, at Doncaster BMW.

That'd be great if they were anywhere near me.

The local dealer was doing the R1200Gs-A for $1700 more than Sydney.

Captive market of well paid professionals.

The F800GS is $21900 and change locally, ride away.

which is why I wont buy a new one.

I have, however, ordered a set of custom billet Emig Racing triples for the F800 that are bored to suit the motoX forks I have a couple of pair of in the garage. They also have a steering damper.

Game on. Money paid. Nails chewed. Now I want them....now now now now now now now

are they here yet?