User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 AM   #31
kaijb
ianb

Oddometer: 114
Snowy

What you need now is some Ohlins to fit those new clamps. Clearly they were giving those custom clamps away???

Did you order the dampener as well to match the clamps?
kaijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #32
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
Of course I did. The clamps were actually pretty cheap. All the add ons took it to $1200 with express postage.

I can use the standard front wheel this way, with single disc - short term. Then go to a bigger disc later.

I need a new front rim though.

Next week. I can only hide so many dodgy fund transfers off the home loan.....hehehehehe
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #33
kaijb
ianb

Oddometer: 114
See...... for $1200 you get the front end you want on your terms for less than a suspension upgrade even when you factor in the forks. Plus Emig will allow you to bolt all the OEM stuff straight up.

I have Emig's full kit on my bike and they rock. Even after five years when the dampener was a bit notchy (some bloke possibly worked them a bit hard), they offered to fix it for free when I asked to purchase a rebuild kit.

I can't complain, only praise them and I am a miserable complaining bastard who only wanted a rebuild kit expecting nothing.....
kaijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:21 PM   #34
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
That'd be great if they were anywhere near me.

The local dealer was doing the R1200Gs-A for $1700 more than Sydney.

Captive market of well paid professionals.

The F800GS is $21900 and change locally, ride away.

which is why I wont buy a new one.

I have, however, ordered a set of custom billet Emig Racing triples for the F800 that are bored to suit the motoX forks I have a couple of pair of in the garage. They also have a steering damper.

Game on. Money paid. Nails chewed. Now I want them....now now now now now now now

are they here yet?
I was going to do that, but have gone the other way. Working with Lukas to put a KTM triple, 690 enduro WP 48mm forks, motomaster 4 piston single caliper, 320mm disk set up on mine.
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:54 PM   #35
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
So, I like my dual front disks... I would like to keep them.

Would I be better off just getting the ohlins, or

Emig Tripples and find a 990 front end?

Where would one source a 990 front end, or parts to build one? (for a good price?)

Ryan

grndzr0 screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 11:05 PM
grndzr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:38 AM   #36
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

eBay sniping is the best bet.

I got lucky with a brand new set of RMZ 450 forks. They were removed from the bike by a race team, and put on eBay.

$400 US.

I can usually get sets a couple of years old for around $300 US. It usually cost me more to respring and rebuild them.

All up, I usually get away with it for a total of $800 Aus.

the local wreckers usually wants around $1500 for clapped out pieces of shit. It's a no brainer.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #37
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish71 View Post
I was going to do that, but have gone the other way. Working with Lukas to put a KTM triple, 690 enduro WP 48mm forks, motomaster 4 piston single caliper, 320mm disk set up on mine.
Yeah the 320mm disc is the next step.

I was looking at the axle clamps on the standard forks and thinking I can run with what I have for now and then get the standard axle clamps machined out to take the Showa fork.

It's all achievable. Now that I've got it under way I can pull the standard ones apart and afford to wait while they get done. It doesn't impact on riding.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:07 AM   #38
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijb View Post
Plus Emig will allow you to bolt all the OEM stuff straight up.
Will be interesting to see the Emig kit. What all is included that it allows you to bolt on the rest of the OEM parts Snowy?

If you are anywhere near Victoria maybe you and Hamish71 can get together and do a comparison later on, he is going with a very trick setup..

BTW Morgwn, only the tubes are from a 690, internals are a a mix of 950 SE, 990 ADV, 500 EXC and some custom parts to get the length, stroke, spring rate and valving right. Different hydro stops, pistons, piston rods, rebound rods, bottom spring spacer, shim stack etc....

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #39
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Will be interesting to see the Emig kit. What all is included that it allows you to bolt on the rest of the OEM parts Snowy?

If you are anywhere near Victoria maybe you and Hamish71 can get together and do a comparison later on, he is going with a very trick setup..

BTW Morgwn, only the tubes are from a 690, internals are a a mix of 950 SE, 990 ADV, 500 EXC and some custom parts to get the length, stroke, spring rate and valving right. Different hydro stops, pistons, piston rods, rebound rods, bottom spring spacer, shim stack etc....

So is most of the 48mm WP stuff pretty interchangeable? So I could get 525 forks, then replace the bottoms (not sure on the terminology) with those from a 990 so that I can have dual disks and a wheel/hub that supports such?

Ryan
Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #40
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Fork bottoms / axle clamps are interchangeable between all 48mm WP open cartridge forks, but not between open and closed cartridge.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:51 AM   #41
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

The Emig racing F800 kit is a set of custom billet triples that I have specced with bores to suit Showa RMZ 450 forks. They come with top and bottom triple, stem, steering damper, and bar clamp.

I already have the forks, so it's a bolt up job. The axle will fit the right hand fork leg as is, and the left hand leg with a sleeve.

Standard wheel, standard spacers.

I make a bracket for the ABS sensor. Run single disc, with a caliper that fits the RMZ mount. I have a 4 piston caliper in mind.

Eventually I upgrade the disc to a 320mm one with after market motard caliper spacer.

Done deal.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:57 PM   #42
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
I have rode my '13 F8 enough to realize the new suspension needs improvement. Hoping Ohlins comes up with a solution soon... Especially for the electronic.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 AM   #43
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

keep dreaming.

I think the reality is that any kit they make will tempt people to take the F8 off road. As in, proper off road.

There the average punter will kill or main him/herself in minutes and the surviving family will sue everyone and anyone they can.

Hence, no one will ever make an off the shelf kit to make the F8 work off road.

that's just my interwebz based opinion though.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:37 AM   #44
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Why is it that every time I buy suspension parts that I'm really keen to have, the US suffers some sort of massive storm/blizzard/flood etc?

I had a set of forks go missing when I was desperate for them, and they spent 9 weeks buried in snow near NY. I actually opened a case on eBay and got my money back before they were delivered to my door some 10 weeks or so after they were sent. Paypal wasted no time in taking the money back after I told them. They also wasted no time in settling the claim in the first place, so no complaint from me. The seller was grateful because he got his money too when we thought all would be lost.

I'm just waiting to see how long this lot gets delayed. Knowing the luck I've had with this BMW, my triple clamps are probably on the replica of the Bounty.

Such is life.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:01 AM   #45
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

My triples have cleared customs.

I can hardly wait. I have chest pains, I'm so excited.

Either that or 5 large cappuccino's per day is a bad thing.

I feel a build thread coming. Or is that indigestion from all the coffee acid?

Only time will tell.