Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #46
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
It appears customs is holding my parts hostage pending some sort of cash donation.

Dirty Fascist bastards.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:21 AM   #47
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,381
Well there is a limit to how much shit per shipment you are allowed to import for free.

Consider yourself lucky in Austrialia and the US (around $1000?), in Europe you pay VAT (20-30%) plus duties (around 10%) for everything that's worth more than $25!

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #48
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Stop it with the logic.

They have my shit....they want to charge me money for it.

That's outrageous. We should have some sort of civil war over it.

The only consolation for me is that I wired the HVAC system at Customs House, and I did a really cheap shit job. This summer they will suffer. Oh yes they will.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:32 AM   #49
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Oddometer: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
Stop it with the logic.

They have my shit....they want to charge me money for it.

That's outrageous. We should have some sort of civil war over it.

The only consolation for me is that I wired the HVAC system at Customs House, and I did a really cheap shit job. This summer they will suffer. Oh yes they will.
Or perhaps revolutionary war??

Ryan
Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #50
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
Has anyone ridden one of the new 800's to see if the WP's aren't better than the old Marzocchi's ?

Has anyone taken the forks apart to see if they are rebuildable ?

I think you need a bit more information before you start redoing the forks on a bike you don't have yet.
I can partially answer this question. Im 40, 120kg all kitted up, and the stock 45s (2009)were crap. I had springs and oil done and they were much better, but not GREAT.

Just traded on a 2013. The 43mm are better, to me, than the stock 45mm. Less dive, more plush...but not as good as my improved 45's, and sstill not GREAT.

I havnt had the new ones apart. I am working ona cunning plan with Lukas. Pics in about a month I reckon.
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:24 PM   #51
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Will be interesting to see the Emig kit. What all is included that it allows you to bolt on the rest of the OEM parts Snowy?

If you are anywhere near Victoria maybe you and Hamish71 can get together and do a comparison later on, he is going with a very trick setup..

BTW Morgwn, only the tubes are from a 690, internals are a a mix of 950 SE, 990 ADV, 500 EXC and some custom parts to get the length, stroke, spring rate and valving right. Different hydro stops, pistons, piston rods, rebound rods, bottom spring spacer, shim stack etc....
Yep...what he said :)
Hamish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #52
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I can't wait to see them too.

I just have to fill out some paperwork, pay the fee they'll assess what duty is due, which should take about 2 weeks.

Then they'll mail out an assessment of the duty to be paid, I pay it, then they get released.

Should take another week.

What a shit system. Protectionism at work, because there are so many quality aftermarket manufacturers here (that's sarcasm, they're all shit).

Some of the local work I've seen could be replicated with a carton of beer, an angle grinder, an oxy set and a bit of luck.

As an aside, I'm sick of working with tradesmen so shit that I can't accurately describe how shit they are. Or the Chinese fly in/fly out workforce...oh God...I can't believe they don't die in far higher numbers. Dumb luck at work.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #53
kaijb
ianb

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
I can't wait to see them too.

I just have to fill out some paperwork, pay the fee they'll assess what duty is due, which should take about 2 weeks.

Then they'll mail out an assessment of the duty to be paid, I pay it, then they get released.

Should take another week.

What a shit system. Protectionism at work, because there are so many quality aftermarket manufacturers here (that's sarcasm, they're all shit).

I see what is happening here.....you didn't plan.

It is cheaper to order the parts separately such as lower clamp, upper clamp and dampener.

Three lots of freight would have been faster and cheaper....you only needed to ask.

Some of the local work I've seen could be replicated with a carton of beer, an angle grinder, an oxy set and a bit of luck.

As an aside, I'm sick of working with tradesmen so shit that I can't accurately describe how shit they are.

Again planning. Like there is not a reason they dropped out of school to work with their father.

Or the Chinese fly in/fly out workforce...oh God...I can't believe they don't die in far higher numbers. Dumb luck at work.

You miss the point. The shite work done by immigrants is far far more palatable than the shite work done by locals after we subsidise their training and they charge us twice as much. It is so like the whole import or buy local debate wrapped up as humans.
kaijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #54
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Don't you dare use logic on me.

Your logic will not work on me, Jedi. For I am immune to logic.

Bastards have my shit and they're charging me ridiculous amounts to get it. Just the paperwork fees are stupid. Not to mention, they charge you for storage while you sort the paperwork.

Customs is so very important though, because they've stopped so many important security threats....oh...no...wait....they haven't. They let every one walk right on in.

They do, however, manage to catch me every single time I fly, and put me through the whole special search process. Because so many planes are blown up by middle aged white ex Defence members with 14 years service that have held top secret clearances.

Fuckwits.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #55
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Don't you dare use logic on me.

Your logic will not work on me, Jedi. For I am immune to logic.

Bastards have my shit and they're charging me ridiculous amounts to get it. Just the paperwork fees are stupid. Not to mention, they charge you for storage while you sort the paperwork.

Customs is so very important though, because they've stopped so many important security threats....oh...no...wait....they haven't. They let every one walk right on in.

They do, however, manage to catch me every single time I fly, and put me through the whole special search process. Because so many planes are blown up by middle aged white ex Defence members with 14 years service that have held top secret clearances.

Fuckwits.
You made my evening!

Ryan
Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #56
DoWorkSon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
Are the 2012 forks different from previous years? I spoke to traxxion and they were not sure.
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #57
grndzr0
its Ground Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
Are the 2012 forks different from previous years? I spoke to traxxion and they were not sure.

2012 not different

2013 different

Ryan
Old 11-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #58
ontic

Oddometer: 1,069
I guess that is lesson learned- but as a fellow front end swapper on the G/S (custom triples, damper, amongst tonnes of other stuff shipped around the world) I do feel for you. I had a recent package stopped and held by customs for a while, new rear wheel and some other stuff, and thought I was going to go through all that. I knew I was cutting it fine on that package... As it happened, the seller from Germany had included shipping costs into the declared value (which brought it over the Aus$1000 limit).

All I had to do was email them an invoice showing that the actual value of the goods was less than Aus$1K and they sent it on through. It wasn't far below $1K, but on the exchange rate on the day the invoice was processed (which is how they work it out), it was just under.
I've read many people saying (on here and elsewhere) that shipping costs are included in the customs valuation- they are NOT. Confirmed to me by two customs people on the phone, and confirmed to me by not having to pay anything extra to get my stuff, which with shipping was well over the $1K.

One of the customs agents also told me that the storage fees threat is usually just that- its basically to make sure that people don't leave their big bulky crap with them for ages. If you are prompt and deal with this quickly you shouldn't have to pay that bit- at least you've got a good argument to not pay it.

It is clear you don't like sneaky jedi logic, but at least you know for next time. If your package has a declared value around Aus$1000 or more, it would take a system or human error for them not to stop it and investigate. Even if you didn't know about this, you actually asked for it.
And think about it this way, you could be in NZ and be dealing with a NZ$500 limit- that's not easy with monopoly money Aus$1000 is enough to cover most things if you split up your orders like everyone else.

ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #59
BcDano
One Lucky Dude

Oddometer: 319
Fully adjustable OEM forks

Chat with Alex at http://konflictmotorsports.com/. I had Alex work his magic on my OEM 2009 F800GS forks and now they are great. Fully adjustable!!
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #60
PenultimateMan OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 54
Did Konflict fully replace the internals of the forks? How much was the work that they did? Details, man! DETAILS!

But I got laid off.
PenultimateMan is offline   Reply With Quote