ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
fbj913 OP
I ride

Oddometer: 2,283
Williston North Dakota

My work just moved me to Williston for about 18 months. I wanted to see who all on here is from/working in this area. I haven't been able to find anyone yet. SOMEONE???
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,449
What kind of noble employer does that?

Weren't you in the KC area before your move?

Jeez, I hope you can find some decent barbeque up there.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
fbj913 OP
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
What kind of noble employer does that?

Weren't you in the KC area before your move?

Jeez, I hope you can find some decent barbeque up there.
haha, yes I was. They threw an offer on the table and I said, . I wont suffer too bad...

I'll make my BBQ. Like any good kansascityian would do, I brought some good sauce
Old 10-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #4
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,571
Shitty time of year to move there. It is getting cold and it will only get colder, darker and windier.

I know people that moved out that way for work. None of them care for it, but they all say it is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make enough money to pay off their house and pay cash for some toys.

Bon Bon and I talked about it and decided that the dough was not worth the 60+ hour work weeks.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
ThanatosF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Not from Williston but live in Fargo and have family working out there. Be careful driving around there in winter. A very large portion of the out of state guys driving big rigs/etc have little real winter driving experience. Just something to keep in mind.

If you ever get bored head south to the Medora area, its quite scenic down there.
ThanatosF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
fbj913 OP
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
Shitty time of year to move there. It is getting cold and it will only get colder, darker and windier.

I know people that moved out that way for work. None of them care for it, but they all say it is a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make enough money to pay off their house and pay cash for some toys.

Bon Bon and I talked about it and decided that the dough was not worth the 60+ hour work weeks.
I'm working for a construction company not oil. So my hours are 7-3:30 for the most part. Same as home.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #7
fbj913 OP
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanatosF View Post
Not from Williston but live in Fargo and have family working out there. Be careful driving around there in winter. A very large portion of the out of state guys driving big rigs/etc have little real winter driving experience. Just something to keep in mind.

If you ever get bored head south to the Medora area, its quite scenic down there.
Thanks for the winter info. I might check out Medora soon.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
I'm working for a construction company not oil. So my hours are 7-3:30 for the most part. Same as home.
What is your living situation???? None of the people that I know that moved out that way, moved for oil. Most are either home construction or road construction. They all work as many hours as they want, but none of the option of work "just" 40 hours a week.

There are certainly some beautiful areas out that way, I just think the timing is shitty. If I was doing 18 months out there, I would rather start in the Spring and get used to the area.

You have driven in ice storms, so winter should not be as huge a deal as it is for some. The thing that you need to prepare for is the the wind. Roads drift over in the winter and it can be hard to tell the road from the ditch.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
fbj913 OP
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
What is your living situation???? None of the people that I know that moved out that way, moved for oil. Most are either home construction or road construction. They all work as many hours as they want, but none of the option of work "just" 40 hours a week.

There are certainly some beautiful areas out that way, I just think the timing is shitty. If I was doing 18 months out there, I would rather start in the Spring and get used to the area.

You have driven in ice storms, so winter should not be as huge a deal as it is for some. The thing that you need to prepare for is the the wind. Roads drift over in the winter and it can be hard to tell the road from the ditch.
The company installed living trailers on site for us. It's not too bad. It's all free. There are 3 of us living here full time. The timing is what it is. Nothing I could do about it. Kansas City has had plenty of winter in my days. snow, wind, ice, ... I'm no stranger to winter driving. The wind could be real fun
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Welcome to the (soon to be) great white north fellow transplant.

I moved up here 14 months ago from Dallas to work and it isn't quite the worst place I could think of.

Anyways, if you brought the tiger up, I can show you a few neat spots I've found in my various explorations this summer. You won't really find any decent paved twisty roads but there is a lot of fun, fast, gravel. You just have to watch out for the oilfield trucks. As other posters said, the badlands around Medora are probably the most scenic part of the state. The whole badlands region extends up pretty close to Watford City so there are some easy half day loops one can do to get some good views.

Here are a few pics I've taken in the area this summer.

If you see the blue super tenere in Williston, be sure to wave.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:15 AM   #11
fbj913 OP
I ride

Ill send you a pm with my phone number. We will have to get together and ride soonish. I am taking my bike back to KC this weekend to hopefully get some warranty work done so its ready for spring. Glad I found someone
Old 01-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #12
fbj913 OP
I ride

Anyone else out this way?
Also I'm looking for some place to hike and maybe take a trip over to big sky. Any ideas for this time of year?
Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
C Squared
Now with TURBO!

Oddometer: 6,703
Jerry is out there truck driving.

I can't remember his screen name.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
ZIGGYND
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Welcome to ND? I'm from Bismarck and yeah, there isn't a whole lot of riding to be had in the state, especially if you're looking for off-roading. Saw you've got an RMZ, not sure if you're bringing that up here 2 but there are a couple places "near by" that you could check out if you are so inclined. The Desert near Bismarck has a pretty nice off road area that non-plated bikes can run around on. You do need to get it registered with an off road sticker to be legal though. There's also a newer trail system in the Pembina Gorge that's still in the process of being developed. Never been there so not to sure what it's like. If you head into Montana there's a number of places to check out including one by Glendive, Short Pines OHV. among others. Might be some in northern Mont. nearer to Williston too. Or you could always head down to the Black Hills in SD for some nice scenery and better suited roads for that Tiger of yours. Anyways, hope that helps ya out a bit. Enjoy your stay.
ZIGGYND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 PM   #15
fbj913 OP
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIGGYND View Post
Welcome to ND? I'm from Bismarck and yeah, there isn't a whole lot of riding to be had in the state, especially if you're looking for off-roading. Saw you've got an RMZ, not sure if you're bringing that up here 2 but there are a couple places "near by" that you could check out if you are so inclined. The Desert near Bismarck has a pretty nice off road area that non-plated bikes can run around on. You do need to get it registered with an off road sticker to be legal though. There's also a newer trail system in the Pembina Gorge that's still in the process of being developed. Never been there so not to sure what it's like. If you head into Montana there's a number of places to check out including one by Glendive, Short Pines OHV. among others. Might be some in northern Mont. nearer to Williston too. Or you could always head down to the Black Hills in SD for some nice scenery and better suited roads for that Tiger of yours. Anyways, hope that helps ya out a bit. Enjoy your stay.
Some good info, thanks! I will most likely bring my RMZ up here this spring. I will run the Tiger around in the off road areas too. I'm really needing some winter activities at this point. Do you ride dirt scooters as well? We will have to get together this summer if you do.