User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
GSWayne OP
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,922
Random Failure to Start on R1200GS

Today, as one would guess, at a rest area in the middle of nowhere, my 2005 R1200GS (with about 64,000 miles on it) failed to start. It turned over briskly but made no attempt to start. I did about 4 runs of about 4 seconds each with no success. Then I shut off the ignition and inspected all the electrical connectors I could see, and they all looked fine. I turned the ignition on and when I pushed the starter button it started up just like it always does in a fraction of a second. The air temperature was about 70 F and the altitude was a bit under 2,000 feet, so nothing unusual there. Since then the bike has started normally about 8 times. This afternoon I hooked it up to my GS-911 and there were no fault codes in any of the computers except for some old ones related the headlight which I am sure are related to a rarely used headlight modulator.

Any ideas what might be the cause? Is it a warning of something going bad?

I am about 3 days into a 2 week trip around the SW US.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWayne View Post
Today, as one would guess, at a rest area in the middle of nowhere, my 2005 R1200GS (with about 64,000 miles on it) failed to start. It turned over briskly but made no attempt to start. I did about 4 runs of about 4 seconds each with no success. Then I shut off the ignition and inspected all the electrical connectors I could see, and they all looked fine. I turned the ignition on and when I pushed the starter button it started up just like it always does in a fraction of a second. The air temperature was about 70 F and the altitude was a bit under 2,000 feet, so nothing unusual there. Since then the bike has started normally about 8 times. This afternoon I hooked it up to my GS-911 and there were no fault codes in any of the computers except for some old ones related the headlight which I am sure are related to a rarely used headlight modulator.

Any ideas what might be the cause? Is it a warning of something going bad?

I am about 3 days into a 2 week trip around the SW US.
I've had the same exact thing happen to me twice on my 05 GS as well. Hasn't happened in a couple years. All I can guess in my case anyway was timing. I hit the starter at the same second my servo brakes initialized and the ECU got the short stick.

Both times i cycled the key and it immediately re-fired. 121K miles btw.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Sailorlite
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Those symptoms are typical of a failing fuel pump control (FPC) module. I'd recommend that you replace it at the next dealer or be prepared to temporarily bypass it. There's a new version (black instead of silver) that's supposed to be better.
Sailorlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
Those symptoms are typical of a failing fuel pump control (FPC) module. I'd recommend that you replace it at the next dealer or be prepared to temporarily bypass it. There's a new version (black instead of silver) that's supposed to be better.
If it is, might want to consider getting/making one of these until you get it fixed.
http://burnsmoto.com/bmw-fuel-pump-bypass-cable.php

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 07:18 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
Jason1202GStime!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
I got this same problem just yesterday but the only different is that I do not have a FPC module.. I bypass the module one year ago...
Jason1202GStime! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,077
Odd as it sounds, it could be your ignition switch is dirty. Spray some contact cleaner in it and turn it a dozen times, repeat 4-5 times. Of course unplug your battery first.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
GSWayne OP
Old Guy nOOb

Oddometer: 2,922
Thanks for the replies.

I'll hope it is the random failure that occurs about every 64,000 miles, in which case I am good for a few more years.

I am carrying a fuel pump bypass cable so I'll be able to try that if it happens again.

I'll also pick up some contact cleaner next time I pass a Radio Shack (or maybe even an auto parts store) when it is open. I am assuming you are suggesting just spraying in around where the key goes in to get it into the switch.

Don't bring a motorcycle to a car fight
GSWayne is offline   Reply With Quote