User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #16
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,278
Running on fumes...

Left Fairbanks on my way to Coldfoot this past June.

Carried 1-gallon RotoPax as 'peace of mind'.

Pulled into Coldfoot with 7 miles left...phew...never had to use the extra gallon.

Glad I had it.
================================================== ============
BTW...don't assume that you'll actually be able to REACH the next fuel stop.
2 Times on my trip to Alaska this June...encountered...MUDSLIDE (delayed for 3 days) and LANDSLIDE (delayed for 4 days at the famous Teslin Bridge). 2100 feet of the road went missing near Rancheria.

If you had to get some where and not wait it out...you might not be able to re-trace your route without running out of fuel!

Thus the fabulous expression..."Hurry up and wait".
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM   #17
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,370
The Rotopax seems like the best way to add fuel capacity, and I hope to add one to my bike.

In the mean time, the MSR bottles are a great way to carry fuel. You can get them at just about any sporting goods store, and they are probably safe enough to put them inside your duffel bag. I would probably put them inside a Ziplock bag though, just to make sure you don't end up wearing gasoline scented clothes.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
ngng
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I've had no complaints with Rotopax; I have a 1.75g on my DRZ and swap between 1g fuel and 1g water on the GSA. Pictured below, I have an additional 2g of fuel.

…and those are just the bikes
ngng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #19
WADE-O OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I think my ideal after looking at the rotopax would be 1.75 of gas with a 1.75 of water on top of it. My only concern is the fit but i did find a dealer close to my house so i think that i will go overe and check it out :)

STAY POSITIVE AND LOVE YOUR LIFE - 311
WADE-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
ngng
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WADE-O View Post
I think my ideal after looking at the rotopax would be 1.75 of gas with a 1.75 of water on top of it. My only concern is the fit but i did find a dealer close to my house so i think that i will go overe and check it out :)
The 1.75 will protrude if you mount it under the OEM bags. I can take pics with it on the sides or back, if you'd like.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
WADE-O OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
How did you mount it to your OEM bags? And i was thinking of putting it in the passenger seat since i will be going solo.

STAY POSITIVE AND LOVE YOUR LIFE - 311
WADE-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
ngng
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WADE-O View Post
How did you mount it to your OEM bags? And i was thinking of putting it in the passenger seat since i will be going solo.
Drilled through the bottom to mount the t-handles .

Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #23
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
alternative

Somebody also makes 1 and 2 gallon gas/water carriers that mount on the passenger pegs. Ah, here it is, BestRest PegPacker
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
Friction275
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
The Rotopax seems like the best way to add fuel capacity, and I hope to add one to my bike.

In the mean time, the MSR bottles are a great way to carry fuel. You can get them at just about any sporting goods store, and they are probably safe enough to put them inside your duffel bag. I would probably put them inside a Ziplock bag though, just to make sure you don't end up wearing gasoline scented clothes.

MSR bottles seal up very well and I've never had one leak in my kit. I keep a 30oz in my saddle bag almost all the time just as a buffer incase I have trouble finding a station on a day trip. I don't ever rely on it but like knowing it's there just in case.

They have a few fundamental weaknesses on a bike though:
Volume- 128oz in a US gallon so it takes 4 of the large bottles to "almost" equal a gallon of gas

Filling- the bottles are a bitch to fill completely from a station pump without spilling and it's impossible to get the gas from the bottle to your tank without spilling unless you use a funnel or magic. MSR makes a small funnel designed for the bottles to fill stoves but the flow rate is designed for things that hold ounces not gallons so they are annoying to use.

Impact resistance: they are VERY thin walled aluminum bottles, they are designed to be as light weight as possible for pack camping so they can puncture very easily if they are even dropped from your hand on a sharp rock. If they wind up between your bike and anything else on a tip over I would expect damage.
Friction275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
GSA GIRL
2010 R1200GS Adv.

Oddometer: 102
I carry two of the large MSR Bottles. One for Engine Oil and One for Gear Oil. I have Peg Packers from Best Rest Products for my fuel needs. http://www.bestrestproducts.com/c-114-pegpacker.aspx I bought a set for both the GSA and the KLR. Both of them are the Two Gallon kits. That gives me Four of the Two Gallon Containers. I put Blue Zip Ties on two of the cans indicating that they are for Water and Red Zip Ties on the other two indicating they Contain Gas. When I head out with either bike I will put on Two Cans of Either Gas or Water or One of Each. Anywhere I go I can have all of the Gas, Water or Both, that I could want. The Fuel Jugs Best Rest Offers are the Blitz, One or Two Gallon cans that are available anywhere for cheap. If you rinse the NEW can out very well with Dish soap And Water it is GREAT for holding Drinking Water! Once you have put Gas in them they are no longer suitable for Drinking Water! I have 9 usable gallons in the tank and 4 more gallons on th passenger pegs on the GSA. 13 Gallons and >40mpg = > 520 mile range.