User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
flashjordan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Northern patagonia in 6 days?

I'm doing a 6 day ride in Northern Patagonia starting and ending in Bariloche. Can anyone recommend a good route as well as good gear suggestions. I'll be renting a Honda Transalp. To be honest I'm used to riding my Harley Softail deluxe in the states (done plenty of cross country and long distance), but this is a bit new to me.
I have plenty of off road experience from my motor cross days but that was years ago. Any tips are highly recommended.

Some basic gear questons. Will hiking boots do the trick? Do I need riding pants or will jeans be fine? I have rain gear. Any thoughts on layers and warmth?

Routes: something spectacular to be done in 6 days, can include both Chile and Argentina but needs to start and end in Bariloche.

Flying from BA to Bariloche 1/07.

Thanks for the help!

Jordan
flashjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Others will surely chime in here, so just one comment: make sure that all your bike's paperwork is in order with all necessary permits, owner release, insurance, etc., before you attempt to cross the border. Knowing language helps.

Argentina-Chile border crossing can be a drawn-out affair, with exit and entry checkpoints. The staff goes through the paperwork in meticulous detail and there are many forms to fill out. The whole process can take a good couple hours, each way.

Just a heads-up.

rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
flashjordan OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Thanks for the heads up. Love to get some input on gear an routes as well if any might chime in.
thanks
Jordan
flashjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Well, hopefully someone will help you out regarding routes - I have never been in that particular area of AR/CL.

If no luck, you may want to give a call to MotoAventura. It's a large local touring and rental outfit, headquartered in Osorno that rents, among others, out of Puerto Montt (which is across the border from Bariloche).

They may give you some advice as to where to go. The owner, Sonia Dvorachuk is a very nice person. She guides many of her tours herself, so you may not be able to talk to her directly - but if you catch her, you'll be golden.

Regarding gear: temperature-wise, you should expect weather similar to US Southwest in the summer. Hot all the time at low altitudes, could reach 90's, at higher elevations hot during the day, but cold mornings/evenings - depending where you cross the continental divide, you may get close to freezing. Also, it is very dry at elevations - be prepared with drinking water.

You should dress in layers. If you intend to stay only on paved roads, you'll probably be OK in riding jacket with jeans and hiking boots - although, being a firm believer in ATGATT, I would not recommend such minimal protection.

Chances are, however, that you'll stray into a gravel road - there are many of them in the area. Then, you need to be prepared for crash; dress appropriately.

Still, go for that ride. It's a wonderful part of the world, well worth the preparation effort.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 05:05 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote