ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:28 PM   #1
monsterscout OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Baja 1000

Is anyone heading south from Cen-Cal for the 1000? I am currently planning on going alone, but as this is my first time on a bike south of the border, I wouldn't mind some company. Travel dates TBD.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #2
El Zorrillo
charity case

Oddometer: 743
i'm planning on going, but i'd be leaving from south o.c. i'm still trying to figure out dates as far as leaving/returning. i'll keep an eye on this thread.

btw, i've ridden bikes south of the border several times, twice for watching the 1000. knock on wood, never had a problem.
El Zorrillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
speedygee68
dirt eater

Oddometer: 218
As the saying goes, "There is safety in numbers". Try to hook up with as many people as you can.
speedygee68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
BigBearRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
It's a freaking excellent idea. Not sure how I will be able to swing it this year as I have two other Baja trips planned around that same time.

I've ridden in Baja a few times, and have never had any issues. Be careful, don't be stupid, and you should be fine.
BigBearRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,381
Don't ride at night.

Watch out for animals on the road, day and night.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,745
As someone who has been involved in racing the Baja 1000 & 500 for over 40 years, allow me to point out couple of things about going down to watch the 1000. I have no idea how far you guys intend to go down I'll assume that you will go all the way.

There are absolutely ZERO rooms to be had in Ensenada from around Tuesday through Thurs.

There are very few rooms available in La Paz on Fri.

There are shit loads of stupid American drivers pitting and chasing racers all over the highways. These people all get overly excited, pay little attention to what's going on around them, and think that they are the only ones on the highway. Often its some guy's girlfriend in Baja for the first time, pulling a trailer (also for the first time) while trying to get a hold of weatherman on the radio, while trying to figure out the GPS and Sat phone, while talking on her cell phone. More people are killed on the highway during races than on the race course every year.

The top bikes and car will both average between 55 to 60 mph. This puts the top bikes just below Santa Ignaico at around dark. The first Trophy Trucks will be just getting to the Bay of LA Highway at dark.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Have fun and be extra, extra careful.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
DirtRider....
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
As someone who has been involved in racing the Baja 1000 & 500 for over 40 years, allow me to point out couple of things about going down to watch the 1000. I have no idea how far you guys intend to go down I'll assume that you will go all the way.

There are absolutely ZERO rooms to be had in Ensenada from around Tuesday through Thurs.

There are shit loads of stupid American drivers pitting and chasing racers all over the highways. These people all get overly excited, pay little attention to what's going on around them, and think that they are the only ones on the highway. Often its some guy's girlfriend in Baja for the first time, pulling a trailer (also for the first time) while trying to get a hold of weatherman on the radio, while trying to figure out the GPS and Sat phone, while talking on her cell phone. More people are killed on the highway during races than on the race course every year.

The top bikes and car will both average between 55 to 60 mph. This puts the top bikes just below Santa Ignaico at around dark. The first Trophy Trucks will be just getting to the Bay of LA Highway at dark.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. Have fun and be extra, extra careful.
Well said
DirtRider.... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,343
as white boy living in TJ for 8 years, don't believe the hype, unless there's a race going on. With $MM of dollars of equipment in play, all the freaks come out to get a piece of whatever they can.

some simple "anti-terrorism" points will go along way.

Be a hard target. A simply put, pay attention and know your space. If you're not comfortable, get comfortable.

Pay attention to your vehicle and it's state as you leave and return.

Don't bring undo attention to yourself if you don't want it.

Keep your belongings close and secure to you while in crowds. don't allow pickpockets.

I've never been robbed, and only had a gun pulled on me once by a cop that thought I needed some straightening out. I've been in a few accidents but nothing that couldn't be handled with cash.

I've been pulled over <10 times and only paid once. Tell them you're not going to pay and when they say they're going to take you to the "delegation" say ok, is there someone there that speaks english? and then say "OK, let's go." Everytime I've used that one it results with a 'warning.'

I paid because I better places to be, and it was only 20$. because F them, that's why.

I drove from TJ to SF at 2am on the XR to the 250. I've driving from MXcali to TJ at night through the rumarosa on the Goldwing. Ensenada to Tecate and TJ in the navigator. TJ to Ensenada in the camaro at 3am.

Point is, know your surroundings and pay attention. Everyone one of them will hustle you if you let them. Don't let them. You could pay dearly.

Wear a smile when dealing with a badge but don't let them push you. Push back when you're getting rolled. if you look like a target, you will be.....

(in my opinion)
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
stickman1432
Crusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 724
Beechum 1, well put and that has been my way for over 20+ years of going down south. Be polite but force their hand when it comes to the "mordida" ( the bite). They are trying to survive and figure that the gringo driving a nice car or bike will pay a little just to keep going. We were stopped just north of San Ignacio for alleged speeding and they wanted $100. We said let's go to the boss in Santa Rosailia and talk to the judge and we left within 5 seconds with just a warning which was total BS. If you did screw up only pay a small amount and keep going where you want to.

If you want to be a victim then give in to the coruption, otherwise stand your ground politely. They will look for another sucker.

R1200GS-08', WR250R-08'
XR650R-03', 110 Honda-83'
stickman1432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #10
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,594
Make sure you buy the insurance, you hear of people saying it is not needed, but cost vs coverage make it a no brainer.

Just my .02
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #11
MotoBonita
Ride more

Oddometer: 30
I am headed down for an 8-10 day trip and would really like a ride buddy......not sure exactly what day I will leave San Diego somewhere on Nov. 14-16th. I have ridden down there a few times, only as far as Bay of LA. I would like to go further south this trip.
MotoBonita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
And don't keep all your money in one pocket. Spread it around so you
always pull out just a little at a time.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by prsdrat View Post
And don't keep all your money in one pocket. Spread it around so you
always pull out just a little at a time.
This. Small bills (20/50) at the taco stands. only slightly larger bills (100/200) at the restaurants. 500's at the hotels and banks. Mondedas at the convenience store.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #14
mikerd400
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post

I agree, well said.

I would love to help you, but I'll be prerunning the course in a built prerunner. If you're on the course prior to the race, just pay attention. Alot of the teams prerun the course, and some go pretty fast.

If you can, find someone to go with that has experience in Baja. It just makes the trip a little easier.

Hey Strongbad, are you racing this year?
2003 Kawasaki KLR650
1977 Yamaha RD400
1976 Yamaha RD400
Proud to be Riff Raff 2011!

Riff Raff 07, 08, 09, and 10!
mikerd400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerd400 View Post
Hey Strongbad, are you racing this year?
Chasing/pitting Terrible Herbst Motorsports from El Crucero to La Paz.

Prolly won't get back into a "race car" in a SCORE race until these guys return (possibly in 2013?):

But will get back in for NORRA in my favorite car: