User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM   #1
tsADV OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Oil filter cover revisited

Bike: new to me '78 R80 TIC rebuilt into a 1980 R80/7 frame by a previous owner. When I set out to change the oil filter, I realised that I couldn't get access to the upper front fastener holding the oil filter cover in place. The frame tube blocked access for a straight 5 mm Allen key; with a round headed one I could loosen the screw approximately one turn, before it hit the frame tube.

I had to take out the front engine mount bolt and lower the front of the engine around 1/4 inch before I could get the last oil filter cover screw out:

Does anybody happen to know if this is this an unfortunate combination of frame and engine, incorrect rebuild, or does it look like someone have installed the wrong oil filter cover?

This procedure would take the oil+filter change service to new heights if one also happen to have crash bars and a fairing installed . . .
tsADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #2
Jim K in PA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,228
Perhaps the correct spacers were not used when the engine was moved to this frame, resulting in it being offset to the right?

It should back out without issue, but I would change at least that upper bolt to a hex head to make tightening and loosening a bit less challenging.
Viktor - Coming to a thread near you - eventually
Jim K in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM   #3
ME 109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsADV View Post

Does anybody happen to know if this is this an unfortunate combination of frame and engine, incorrect rebuild, or does it look like someone have installed the wrong oil filter cover?
That screw/bolt should be shorter than the other two.
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #4
tsADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim K in PA View Post
Perhaps the correct spacers were not used when the engine was moved to this frame, resulting in it being offset to the right?
That sounds like a logical explanation. Not sure if I know which spacers should be used; for the front engine mount the only spacers I could see on RealOEM were the shackles onto which the main stand springs are hooked onto. And they didn't look (to me) to be interchangeable, or in different widths. I couldn't find any reference to such frame/engine spacers in the Haynes manual.

Not long ago I had the rear engine mount bolt out when I replaced the gearbox neutral switch. I remember refitting spacers on either side of the engine sump, but couldn't find this bolt assembly, or those spacers on RealOEM. Hmmm . . .
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #5
tsADV OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 109 View Post
That screw/bolt should be shorter than the other two.
Yes, I noticed that. But it wouldn't have made any difference for me now, since it hit the frame tube after being screwed out one or two millimeters.
Old Yesterday, 07:38 PM   #6
Steveow
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
I have a 94 r100r that I am doing a oil and filter change on. My bottom screw is hitting the exhaust. I dont think thats right . Have been looking at exhaust nut wrenches online tonight. Still pondering this one over.
Steveow is offline   Reply With Quote