Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Kpaul247 OP
Airhead

Oddometer: 1
Newb Intro and R90/6

Hi all!

I signed up today but have been reading the forums for a long time.

Long story short, my bro-in-law Rick has an R75/5 that he rode for years, but had been collecting dust in his garage for at least 5 years or more. It was his grandfathers bike and he had tons of memories riding with him on this bike when he was little. I kept bugging him to restore it but he was not interested. I kept at him for a few years and then sent him some photos of a cafe R75. Within weeks, he had ordered parts and cleaned out his garage for the resto.

Right before we got into the teardown he mentioned that his dad had a few other bikes but wasn't sure where they were now. He called his pops and was told that he gave them to his brother ages ago but thinks he got rid of them but wasn't sure. Rick called his uncle in West Texas and sure enough, he got tired of them taking up space in his garage and gave them to an old mechanic friend of his a few years ago... bummer! He said he hasn't talked to the guy in a long time but thinks he probably still has them.

Sure enough, the guy said they are sitting right where you left them and you can come load them up any time. Woohoo!

So Rick and I took a trailer down to San Angelo, met his uncle and went over to get them. So we get there and right out in the open were the two bikes, a 74 R90/6 and a 69 R50/2. So yeah, 2 years in the West Texas outdoors...

The bikes were ours for free which was pretty freaking awesome.

So here is the R90 as I got it.

So fast forward to now. I have since brought it home and tore it down. It sat outside for those 2 years with one of the plugs out so that jug sat with muddy sludge and it is toast. Very deep pitting where the sludge sat, and that carb was the same way. In one of the saddle bags was a new bing sealed in plastic!

Once I got the jugs off, the crank turned with no play or noises to the bottom end seems sound. I am thinking of doing a complete rebuild anyway.

So the odometer reads just over 30,000 miles and we thought surely not. It has to be 130k. Rick called his dad and he said that was all he rode that bike before he gave it to his brother.

It's in pretty good shape but the 2 years outside took a toll on all the exterior stuff. His dad also mentioned he had the engine worked on at one point but I am not clear on what was done.

Anyway, I am now getting some time to start the build and will document and share everything. I am so grateful for all you guys who have shared your experience here. It sure is a great resource!

~Kevin

I have more photos here, and will add as I go.

http://www.kevinpaulphoto.com/Other/BMW-R906/n-hhzdG/

Kpaul247 screwed with this post 09-11-2014 at 11:21 AM
Kpaul247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
garthg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
It's definitely a major project, but there's a lot of good stuff there. The parts list will be pretty long, but there's no reason you shouldn't end up with a really nice bike. Will be watching.
"The motorcyle is a constant challenge to the man; a challenge to experience the adventure of man's command over the machine--directly, unadulterated. Over and over again, wind, weather and road must be conquered and mastered anew.
For this, the machine--"
garthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,383
Congratulations. Welcome to the Asylum.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 518
Sweet!

As you've probably seen - there have been/are a lot worse ones on this forum when they were first rescued! Good luck!

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote