ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #301
Rob Farmer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Rob Farmer's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Loughborough, Leicestershire. England
Oddometer: 4,712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
Cut the green wire. It's always the green wire.
Not if your at the bottom of the ocean using diving lights it's not...if you remember the Abyss.
Rob Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #302
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
I was going to say something about those bars not being a high up as the stock bars...but never mind I see the bar risers...looks like your bars will be at chin level...
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #303
Beater
Breakin' Somethin'
 
Beater's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 2,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
Not if your at the bottom of the ocean using diving lights it's not...if you remember the Abyss.
__________________
Fred
'85 R80RT G/Sified <|> '91 R100GS Bumblebee (101K miles and climbing) <|> '73 R75/5 LWB
Airhead Zen: Ride - Repair - Ride - Maintain - Ride - Repeat
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #304
ontic
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: LaoPDR/Australia.
Oddometer: 1,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houseoffubar View Post
For Christ sake, it's a terrorist attack!!!


I see the Red Cross is already in there, bless those brave souls


Seriously though, you'd feel right at home in my garage Jenna.

Quote:
Went with a 50mm long bolt. I'll go and hit some speed bumps and check torque then.
50mm of thread sounds great.
Go grab a cheap 28mm socket and see what is happening with the torque.
__________________
1974 R90/6
1981 R80G/S
1994 XLR250R
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #305
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,998
Lookin' good! I think you'll get a much better perspective from those LEDs up high. The crash bars are convenient but I've never liked how low mine sit.

Glad it's back on the road. Hopefully I'll be there next week myself!
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:33 PM   #306
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,319
Made a little heat shield from an abandoned stop sign someone left at my house.

 photo 0B2D449A-698A-44CA-A977-E6E251A9175A-2904-000003DBE70464A2_zps44aa1733.jpg

Just tiddying things up that have been neglected before I leave for the Roaming Rally. new heat sink on the icu, all electrical connections cleaned and greased ect, ect.......
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #307
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 23,429
my shit is in the weather. I will start swuirting it with WD first thing in the morning.
Soeaking if airplanes, my inspection isi up in june.

Hey what all gear do we need to make sure we have. We should pow wow about that. I'll bring all the tools i can find except the one we need, so just be sure to bring that one and we shoul be good.

Now that you mention it? Do we even qualify as a team anymore? I think its just me and you 8-0Maybe we can volunteer to be pre-sweeps or something. My biggest fear is breaking down in the middle of fucking nowhere. The whole object is to ride everymile and all the way home. Im almost afraid to look at anything on the PD, f fear of finding the can o worms
__________________
It aint a fit night out for man nor beast.
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:59 PM   #308
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,998
oh that's cool. I might have to steal that idea.

Quote:
Hey what all gear do we need to make sure we have. We should pow wow about that. I'll bring all the tools i can find except the one we need, so just be sure to bring that one and we shoul be good.
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #309
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
my shit is in the weather. I will start swuirting it with WD first thing in the morning.
Soeaking if airplanes, my inspection isi up in june.

Hey what all gear do we need to make sure we have. We should pow wow about that. I'll bring all the tools i can find except the one we need, so just be sure to bring that one and we shoul be good.

Now that you mention it? Do we even qualify as a team anymore? I think its just me and you 8-0Maybe we can volunteer to be pre-sweeps or something. My biggest fear is breaking down in the middle of fucking nowhere. The whole object is to ride everymile and all the way home. Im almost afraid to look at anything on the PD, f fear of finding the can o worms
Yeah, we should. I always bring another rotor and trigger unit. On the list is tire irons, first aid kit, air pump, tubes, and tow rope. I have that shit and a biner/pully rig, don't really know the best way to use it, but I'm sure you being a climber it'll be no problem. Shit, Mike and I got unstuck on a washout with no trees around for 50'! I guess I'll be towing up on Tuesday and then we'll leave wednesday???

Gotta get new bars, i can't stand the ones I got so theyre in the mail hoping to swap out next week then change all fluids and check valves and carb sync. Then a few more weeks of commuting then I'll slap the new tires on it. Still have to shake my new bags down.
hardwaregrrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #310
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,998
Quote:
my shit is in the weather. I will start swuirting it with WD first thing in the morning.
Soeaking if airplanes, my inspection isi up in june.
Are you texting? What does that even mean?
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 08:37 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:29 PM   #311
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
probably too late to mention this, but you could have used Al spacers behind the heat sheild and pop rivets to mount the shield instead of the straps. But you'll want to use blind rivets...a rivet with solid end so no gas escapes. This is Stainless shaped by hand to mimic the can shape.




__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 PM   #312
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid
 
bgoodsoil's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Oddometer: 3,998
Hey that's a good idea. @Jenna I've got a rivet gun and rivets if you want to do that.

*edit: I'm callin' bullshit on that pump. Have you EVER pumped a motorcycle tire with one of those things. It takes hundreds of pumps. thousands maybe. DAMHIK. I don't care where you're at in the world, it's better to walk.
__________________
'85 BMW r80G/S--Another G/S on the road--Central America on a Shoestring--Nova Scotia on a Shoestring--Never Leave a Man's Behind

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code

bgoodsoil screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 08:41 PM
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #313
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 23,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yeah, we should. I always bring another rotor and trigger unit. On the list is tire irons, first aid kit, air pump, tubes, and tow rope. I have that shit and a biner/pully rig, don't really know the best way to use it, but I'm sure you being a climber it'll be no problem. Shit, Mike and I got unstuck on a washout with no trees around for 50'! I guess I'll be towing up on Tuesday and then we'll leave wednesday???

Gotta get new bars, i can't stand the ones I got so theyre in the mail hoping to swap out next week then change all fluids and check valves and carb sync. Then a few more weeks of commuting then I'll slap the new tires on it. Still have to shake my new bags down.
I have an Omega trigger... I suppose if it goes bad Icanjust swap a regular one in. You have one? I think I have the working one of mine, if it wasnt bad when I changed it. I cant remember now :-(

I was planning on bringing all that stuff anyway, whatya know. I can work a block and fall, use em every day except never had to for a bike.

I got the Kreiga luggage on and it seems good. I'll bring extra wiring bits, and some bailing wire. Valve adjust is going to rive me nuts, I am pretty sure I have excess rocker arm slap on the right hand side... I should just check the valves, youre right. Havent riddin it much since Sandblast... maybe a hundred miles, so its basically got fresh stuff right beforeh te rally, and I jsut got new plugs and wires, and just did the lights and switches...

Schedule wise- I would love to leave wednesday BUT more likely will leave Early thursday AM. It should only be 6 hours from here to the site/check in, not including border crossing, so... I think what with returning Monday night I might have to crush it into that tiem frame. SOrry :-( I'll see about getting out wednesday. cant hurt to feel it out.
__________________
It aint a fit night out for man nor beast.
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:47 PM   #314
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
*edit: I'm callin' bullshit on that pump. Have you EVER pumped a motorcycle tire with one of those things. It takes hundreds of pumps. thousands maybe. DAMHIK. I don't care where you're at in the world, it's better to walk.
the electric pump would mean having to run the bike to keep from killing the battery on the DRZ... it only takes half a day to pump up the front tire...a whole day for the rear.

AL spacers can be found at Lowe's with all the steel cables in Hardware. May have to drill the spacers out. The blind rivets would have to be ordered. Most off the shelf rivets are open. Blind rivets are common in sail boats. May be found on Ebay..which is where i think I got these.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #315
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,419
and where are you guys riding??? I think I missed that.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014