Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #316
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,058
I like to repurpose things, and I use what I have so I don't spend any money....but thanks. This isn't fastened into the muffler as yours is, hence the straps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
probably too late to mention this, but you could have used Al spacers behind the heat sheild and pop rivets to mount the shield instead of the straps. But you'll want to use blind rivets...a rivet with solid end so no gas escapes. This is Stainless shaped by hand to mimic the can shape.

hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #317
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Are you texting? What does that even mean?

YEah drunk outside by the fire and stupid phone. that would translate as:

I meant the PD needs a bath, and a good dousing with WD. A good bit of it has been caressed recently, but it needs more. Its been sitting outside for a little while.

Appropo of nothing, my inspection is up in june (which is why I did the lights) so thats just a hint to myself make sure your passport and vehicle paperwork, insurance are all up to date a well.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #318
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
YEah drunk outside by the fire and stupid phone. that would translate as:

I meant the PD needs a bath, and a good dousing with WD. A good bit of it has been caressed recently, but it needs more. Its been sitting outside for a little while.

Appropo of nothing, my inspection is up in june (which is why I did the lights) so thats just a hint to myself make sure your passport and vehicle paperwork, insurance are all up to date a well.
Yep, and don't forget to call your ins co. and get your canadian insurance card.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #319
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
Yep, and don't forget to call your ins co. and get your canadian insurance card.
I did that last time, they said dont worry about it? Progressive.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #320
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,261
Tough. I'm leaving that quote in my sig for at least a week Have fun out there! Take videos for the sorry folks stuck back home!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #321
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
I did that last time, they said dont worry about it? Progressive.
I was told if you were to be pulled over without it. It would be an extra fine. But no one has ever asked for it.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #322
More_Miles
über-n00b

Oddometer: 312
Canadian Insurance

Snagged from http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1082.html which is from the US State Department.

Highlighting is mine.

Quote:
Driving in Canada is similar to driving in many parts of the United States. Distances and speeds, however, are posted in kilometers per hour and some signs, particularly in Quebec, may only be in French. U.S. driver’s licenses are valid for visitors in Canada. Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada. U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada. For specific information concerning Canadian driving permits, mandatory insurance and entry regulations, please contact the Canadian National Tourist Organization.
I suspect the lack of a "Canadian Insurance Card" would only become an issue if you're a dink to the local constable who pulls you over and they are aware that they exist. Be advised, the Mounties horses are specially bred, you can not outrun them!

Something I would be more concerned about:

Quote:
Traveler’s medical insurance is highly recommended even for brief visits. No Canadian health care provider accepts U.S. domestic health insurance, and Medicare coverage does not extend outside the United States. Visitors who seek any medical attention in Canada should be prepared to pay cash in full at the time the service is rendered.
Also
Quote:
You can’t assume your insurance will go with you when you travel. It’s very important to find out BEFORE you leave whether or not your medical insurance will cover you overseas. You need to ask your insurance company two questions:
  • Does my policy apply when I’m out of the United States?
  • Will it cover emergencies like a trip to a foreign hospital or a medical evacuation?
In many places, doctors and hospitals still expect payment in cash at the time of service. Your regular U.S. health insurance may not cover doctors’ and hospital visits in other countries. If your policy doesn’t go with you when you travel, it’s a very good idea to take out another one for your trip. For more information, please see our medical insurance overseas page.
Otherwise, c'mon up, we have beer!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #323
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,385
Quote:
It’s very important to find out BEFORE you leave whether or not your medical insurance will cover you overseas. You need to ask your insurance company two questions:
Ha. Yeah, but in most of the world healthcare is affordable enough that you don't need insurance.

Worst case scenarios down here cost a few thousand bucks. Broken bones will run you a few hundred.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #324
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I was told if you were to be pulled over without it. It would be an extra fine. But no one has ever asked for it.
Progressive is mailing me the appropriate paperwork. THanks for the heads up. I dont know why I dont know this, but I'm now checking to see if my employer health insurance will follow me to Canada. Doubt it. Dunno... DOnt know if I'm going to buy additional travellers insurance
Old 05-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #325
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Progressive is mailing me the appropriate paperwork. THanks for the heads up. I dont know why I dont know this, but I'm now checking to see if my employer health insurance will follow me to Canada. Doubt it. Dunno... DOnt know if I'm going to buy additional travellers insurance
My health doesn't but my Aflac does. Too bad I had to cancel due to lack of funds.

Valves adjusted....or not. All good in there. Sorted out my wiring issues, now I just need my new bars, put a banjo connector on the end of my brake line....I have the 2" long connector with various places to turn. Then fluids and tires and I'm set, well the bike will be set. Got the car sorted and the trailer all ready, just need to pick up my spare tire, then pack up the spares and I'm good. Sounds like a lot but really only 3 hours spread over 3 weeks. No biggie.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #326
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,261
How's the rally prep going? Everything in good shape?

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #327
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,758
Clean, simple heat shield, I like it!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #328
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
How's the rally prep going? Everything in good shape?
Looking good! Just packed my bags, need to mount a new front tire....I'll do that this weekend one night after work...I mounted the rear yesterday. I have to haul ass to Jason's on Wednesday and we cross the border for the check in on Thursday. Broke a turn signal lense, found one that kind of fit and siliconed it in....I'll probably break it on the trail anyway.!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #329
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

So, off again....

Follow Stagehand and I here. We will be doing the Roaming Rally

Loaded and locked.

photo 76FD1B04-15FE-4584-8013-29425B6A3A48-338-00000014EBE237BA_zps80d9eb9e.jpg

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 06-11-2013 at 04:17 PM
Old 06-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #330
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,636
Check you wheel bearing on the trailer before you go..it's a long trip, or you might install bearing buddies...or not. I see a spare valve cover back there..you planning on plowing with that valve cover??
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote