Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #61
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
That tool is pretty slick. Still, I hope I never have to use it though.
Amen.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #62
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,812
Well, got my starter back from Rick! He said it was one of the dirtier ones he had the misfortune of cleaning. I've never heard my bike so anxious to start!

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I didn't have a lot of time today to get everything back together, and I really was wanting to ride to my class tonight and this weekend. I had a small wood delivery so I had about 3 hours to get the bike back together. Starter went in, routed the wires, then hooked up the diode board. But I wasn't feeling the love from the ST as she was not firing......I had no spark??? So I checked all the plug boots and wires, and wires at the coil and ignition, everything seemed fine and then I had spark??? I took a closer look and found a spade terminal terminating, so popped on a new one and made a note that I needed to go through and solder that connection. Bike was really running great and very strong, but alas, it was short lived. I was about 12 miles into my 22 mile commute when trouble began again. For the 10 mins I was on the side of the road, only one person expressed any interest in my plight....Older guy on a sportbike gave me his # if I needed a tow.

I was able to get the bike running again by was now having a charging problem, battery light was illuminated and only showing 12.1volts. The voltmeter on my trailtech is very accurate, I'm thinking I have brush hung or glazing on the rotor, no biggie.....but when the bike fire back up I had an nice loud backfire. now I certainly have ignition problems.....I limped it one mile from my house in a less than desirable area....and my house was one mile north, straight up hill.... I was able to get a friend in my car dragging my trailer to me, and now the bike is back in the garage.

Another life lesson learned. Test rides are a must, and do one thing at a time. I know all of this, but after hearing and watching the news all day....I needed a win for me. I just wanted a bike ride....but sometimes I'm too stubborn to listen to my smarter self. So instead of riding on Tuesday, I'll be tearing into my ignition problems. Hope y'all have a wonderfull weekend. Squeeze your kids, your spouse, and your friends.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #63
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,167
Geeze, Jenna. Sorry about the want for road side assistance. Powerless is never much fun. You had better luck than I did in Dawsonville - not much for bike traffic but the one guy that did stop didn't want to subject his KLR to draggin my big pig up to super store for 12v booster pack. Oh well.

You've been so generous and kind it would be miserable karma if I didn't offer my assistance. Plus I like to help people. PM me if you end up pushing your bike around again - it lands on my mobile. If I can, I'll bring my trailer.

Keep us posted on your electrics / ignition issues - I'm still waiting for my Omega backorder, am curious and hope to learn from your misfortune so as not to waste it.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #64
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Hey thanks man! I'm certain it's something really dumb, possible could be the clip on the bean can plug was on backwards and the pins were loosing contact? Going to clean all connections tonight and tomorrow.....I've been lucky enough to have the bike never leave me stranded far from home, but twice i've needed a tow in the Atlanta area. weird. Maybe us ATL people need a phone list of sorts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
Geeze, Jenna. Sorry about the want for road side assistance. Powerless is never much fun. You had better luck than I did in Dawsonville - not much for bike traffic but the one guy that did stop didn't want to subject his KLR to draggin my big pig up to super store for 12v booster pack. Oh well.

You've been so generous and kind it would be miserable karma if I didn't offer my assistance. Plus I like to help people. PM me if you end up pushing your bike around again - it lands on my mobile. If I can, I'll bring my trailer.

Keep us posted on your electrics / ignition issues - I'm still waiting for my Omega backorder, am curious and hope to learn from your misfortune so as not to waste it.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #65
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederic_Shiffer View Post
Impressive work on your bike.
Amazing.

I will keep in mind that "swith to DR650 fork+wheel" in case things break on a r80 !
Ha ha!!! Thanks....I liked the DR front end quite a lot, just missed the stock steering.

So Prutser gave me an idea....and I ran with it.

But it failed. The prefilters seemed like a win win but they were not allowing the engine to breathe properly. I grabbed a handful of throttle and the bike coughed above 3500rpm.....dammit. It just seemed like such a great idea.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #66
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
So Prutser gave me an idea....and I ran with it.

But it failed. The prefilters seemed like a win win but they were not allowing the engine to breathe properly. I grabbed a handful of throttle and the bike coughed above 3500rpm.....dammit. It just seemed like such a great idea.
After reading this, I took my bike for a spin. And there is hardly any difference noticeable on my bike !
It revs up to 7000+rpm without a problem. Maybe when the filter is used in wet circumstances it will restrict to much....

As you said in the rivercrossing thread...there is not that much space to try bigger filters....
Who knows...... after a few more sleepless nights something comes to mind.....

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #67
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
After reading this, I took my bike for a spin. And there is hardly any difference noticeable on my bike !
It revs up to 7000+rpm without a problem. Maybe when the filter is used in wet circumstances it will restrict to much....

As you said in the rivercrossing thread...there is not that much space to try bigger filters....
Who knows...... after a few more sleepless nights something comes to mind.....
Did you oil the filters? So you say you've put 2" of space off the horn? I'll try it again...you also have a UNI filter in the airbox, correct??
Old 12-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #68
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Did you oil the filters? So you say you've put 2" of space off the horn? I'll try it again...you also have a UNI filter in the airbox, correct??
I took out the uni filter and now use a DNA filter (like a k&n)
The pre-filters are oiled and are against the ridge on the starter cover.
The spring thats inside is about 15cm long...

I'll try the bike a bit longer next weekend.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #69
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
I took out the uni filter and now use a DNA filter (like a k&n)
The pre-filters are oiled and are against the ridge on the starter cover.
The spring thats inside is about 15cm long...

I'll try the bike a bit longer next weekend.
Let me know how it goes!
Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #70
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Let me know how it goes!
I couldn't wait till the weekend. So I took the bike for a spin again. Couldn't find anything bad about the filters so far.
Even drowened the filters in water but the bike still ran fine.
Could rev it up to the max without a problem.

The original bing's might be less sensitive than the carbs you are using.
After a longer test i'll let you know what I think about them.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #71
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
I couldn't wait till the weekend. So I took the bike for a spin again. Couldn't find anything bad about the filters so far.
Even drowened the filters in water but the bike still ran fine.
Could rev it up to the max without a problem.

The original bing's might be less sensitive than the carbs you are using.
After a longer test i'll let you know what I think about them.
I didn't even think about the mikunis, but I also ran the filters all the way against the horns. I've not had a chance to put the springs in and check it that way. I'll try tomorrow! Thanks!! Loving the RR
Old 12-23-2012, 05:19 AM   #72
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

On this picture you can see how the pre-filters are on the bike.
The only thing I did notice so far would be that I don't need to use the choke with the cold start.
So they are restricting the airflow. Its not really noticeable while riding. And I didn't check the fuel consumption yet.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #73
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

So the filters have been working great after I put the springs BACK in them. Thanks prutser!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #74
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

It's been a crazy few weeks for the bike.

For all you non believers.....the motor is very very smooth. Thanks Beater.

Stupid, fecking, pile 'o shite.

It's getting a plug tomorrow...screw neutral.

Bling.

Surprise....notice something amiss??....

My driveway is a bit of a steep angle. Came home, as always up the rutty, rooted dirt....then a sharp turn in front of my car on the concrete. No front brake, bike is rolling backwards and I'm confused....wedged myself between the car and the retaining wall. Welcome home.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #75
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,034
Suggest you use blue locktite on all nuts and bolts. Did the head of the allen screw wear into the aluminum? Do you need a washer to spread the head load to a bigger area? PS love your ongoing updates.