Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #76
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
Suggest you use blue locktite on all nuts and bolts. Did the head of the allen screw wear into the aluminum? Do you need a washer to spread the head load to a bigger area? PS love your ongoing updates.
Thanks for the suggestion....but they're most certainly was loctite on the bolts, and almost every bolt on the bike. I guess you're unfamilliar with "my final drive came loose" story.?!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Obviously I NEED to check every bolt, screw, and nut on this bike AFTER I race it....lesson learned the "not so hard" way.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #77
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,988
So Jenna, is that now a semi-floating front caliper, or full-floating?

Glad that didn't turn out worse.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #78
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
So Jenna, is that now a semi-floating front caliper, or full-floating?

Glad that didn't turn out worse.
he he....The bolts that came with the HE bracket did not pass through the other side. I didn't like that so went ahead and made my own. 32mm is what they came with and 35 wasn't enough, so I got some 40's and shortened them to about 38mm.

Removed the neutral switch and installed my plug.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Shrink wrapped the wires up.

Spotted this next to my little SUV at the grocery store.....Brian was a really great guy. Going to his shop for a beer sometime soon.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #79
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
Jeana- if you want a neutral switch that doesn't leak the brass one from Hucky's is a good one. I've had mine in for a while now and still no leaks. It's cheaper too.

That bearing doesn't look to good. So you replaced the rode bearings right?? How are the journals?? When I did the top end on the G/S the rods and pistons were weighed, and we very close to equal. Don't remember the weights but no balancing needed.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #80
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Jeana- if you want a neutral switch that doesn't leak the brass one from Hucky's is a good one. I've had mine in for a while now and still no leaks. It's cheaper too.

That bearing doesn't look to good. So you replaced the rode bearings right?? How are the journals?? When I did the top end on the G/S the rods and pistons were weighed, and we very close to equal. Don't remember the weights but no balancing needed.
New rod bearings and piston rings. I really f'ed things up while reassembling my left conrod while talking on the phone. I reversed the cap and pressed the pins into the rod...they were mushroomed. So Beater let me steal the con rods off of a 74 R90 motor and they were quite a bit heavier than my ST rods. On the 74 rods there is a relief to knock the pins back in case you pull a "jenna", but no relief on the ST rods. So I did have a big difference between the two sides and went to town with a dremel. Journals looked great! Got lucky, I pulled them off just in time, that right side rod would not drop without assistance....
Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #81
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,657
Did you run low on oil?? Glad you caught it in time. I ruined a main cap recently on my TR6 by not lining it up right...luckily not to hard to fix, line bore the journals...it's only money right?

be careful with the dremel as you don't want any scratches or gouges perpendicular to the length of the rod. Any file or scratches are potential breakage points.

This rod is from a Triumph TR6 (car), but shows, what you don't want to see, stock rod. You don't have casting marks like these rods, but all those lines are potential fracture spots.

after sanding.

BTW- use assembly lube on the bearings, or STP oil treatment.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 01-10-2013 at 05:56 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #82
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Bikes back together and running very well....I used a moly on the bearing shells. I've already run it about 300 miles for ring break in. My understanding is you do not want to abrade the top of the rod but the sides. Which is what I did, and I'm not the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Did you run low on oil?? Glad you caught it in time. I ruined a main cap recently on my TR6 by not lining it up right...luckily not to hard to fix, line bore the journals...it's only money right?

be careful with the dremel as you don't want any scratches or gouges perpendicular to the length of the rod. Any file or scratches are potential breakage points.

This rod is from a Triumph TR6 (car), but shows, what you don't want to see, stock rod. You don't have casting marks like these rods, but all those lines are potential fracture spots.

after sanding.

BTW- use assembly lube on the bearings, or STP oil treatment.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #83
YOUNZ
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 323
Looking at the image of that rod bearing shell with the babbitt all worn off, reminded me that in my experience the replacement never lasted very long. The crank journal looked OK but in reality, not good enough. I hope you have better luck.
YOUNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #84
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUNZ View Post
Looking at the image of that rod bearing shell with the babbitt all worn off, reminded me that in my experience the replacement never lasted very long. The crank journal looked OK but in reality, not good enough. I hope you have better luck.
It broke off when I stepped on it.

hardwaregrrl screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 06:17 AM
Old 01-12-2013, 06:36 AM   #85
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
New rod bearings and piston rings. I really f'ed things up while reassembling my left conrod while talking on the phone. I reversed the cap and pressed the pins into the rod...they were mushroomed. So Beater let me steal the con rods off of a 74 R90 motor and they were quite a bit heavier than my ST rods. On the 74 rods there is a relief to knock the pins back in case you pull a "jenna", but no relief on the ST rods. So I did have a big difference between the two sides and went to town with a dremel. Journals looked great! Got lucky, I pulled them off just in time, that right side rod would not drop without assistance....
You know that feeling you get when you look over a cliff or a really high bridge? That's what I felt when I read your third sentence.

I don't know how many times I've stood in the shop, shoulders drooped, staring, with that "You dumb motherfucker" feeling.

But, there's always a way back:

Quote:
It broke off when I stepped on it.
And breakin' shit is a good first step! Lookin' good, Jenna!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #86
Beater
Mighty Unclean

Oddometer: 3,169
So ... how's she running? Smoother? More power?

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #87
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
You know that feeling you get when you look over a cliff or a really high bridge? That's what I felt when I read your third sentence.

I don't know how many times I've stood in the shop, shoulders drooped, staring, with that "You dumb motherfucker" feeling.

But, there's always a way back:

And breakin' shit is a good first step! Lookin' good, Jenna!
Thanks man I have learned way more from making mistakes than I have by the book. When you have to sit back and scratch your head, I consider that a win in my brain book. I realize these machines are pretty simple to work on from a motor stand point but it has changed my attitude when it comes to diving into something you're unfamilliar with. i've been able to keep this bike rolling since '07 almost completly independently. And this isn't the kind of bike that's ridden once a week. I totaled my mileage up recently and on average, I've put around 12k a year on this bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beater View Post
So ... how's she running? Smoother? More power?

The power is certainly there.! I still think the Dobber is an anomaly as my A$%hole is nowhere near as smooth....although it could be my socked D606s on the bike. They're pretty toothy in the front.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #88
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Quote:
I have learned way more from making mistakes than I have by the book. When you have to sit back and scratch your head, I consider that a win in my brain book. I realize these machines are pretty simple to work on from a motor stand point but it has changed my attitude when it comes to diving into something you're unfamilliar with.
That's gold right there!

Simple, complicated, it's no different, you're still only doing one thing at a time.

In a given week I'll work on a six cylinder Porsche, a flathead Ford tractor, and a sump pump.

The main thing is no matter what it is, no matter how much experience you have, slow down, look at it, and see what's there.

Then fuck it up, and kick yourself in the ass!
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #89
hardwaregrrl OP
ignore list

Bike is running very well. Went out to a local secret spot on Sunday just before the Falcons game to have a little fun. Still need to learn how to EDIT. So I apologize for the length.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #90
chollo9
Screwed the Pooch

Wow. Fun place to ride! Lots of variety. That Jeep/ATV place at the end reminded me of the strip mine where I rode growing up.

And then, at the end, I see that you were riding all that with a bucket saddle! Man, I could not do that. Props!