Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #61
davesupreme
grand poobah

Oddometer: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by CousinLarry View Post
I have been "dual sporting" my KTM 200 EXC for about 6 months now.. I don't know how many miles I have put on it, but a few thousand at least...

I have a Vapor unit for speed/tach. I have a headlight and brake light.

I love riding that damn bike as much as humanly possible.. I try to only use the roads to get to the trails though. It's not bad on the roads, just more fun off the road. I have brought it on the highway and if I keep it to about 55-60mph it is spinning around 5-6k RPM. I try to not keep the RPMs constant or to coast too much, and if I am coasting or steady RPM I'll drop a gear and rev it out a little to get some lube in the cylinder.

Also - I don't notice bad gas mileage.. I have the stock tank on it and I hit reserve at about 60-70 miles.. So I'm guessing almost 80-100 miles off a full tank. For oil I carry a Lucas fuel additive bottle in my fender bag. It has enough oil in it to fill the gas tank one more time.. Very rarely do I go over 100 miles in a day, and if I do, I have the oil backup at all times.

It's all in how you treat it really. Treat it well and it will treat you well :)
i wanna get a plated KTM 200 to do a local DS hooligan ride.... did you have to do anything special to the jetting to get it to run 60mph on the street?....
davesupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #62
CousinLarry
Ridin Dirty

Oddometer: 595
I bought the bike used and it is perfect as far as the jetting goes... I haven't opened the carb yet to see exactly what jetting that is. hahahaa

It works, I know that much! That bike has such great throttle response.. I love it.. I have a new chain should arrive tomorrow, going on a nice ride on Saturday. Will probably put another 100 miles on her..

A picture from last weekend - at the top of a cliff overlooking the highway. A nice spot to take a break and get in touch with nature ;) This spot is my home-trails about 4 miles from my driveway

Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #63
miguelR
biker

Oddometer: 71

Old 10-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #64
ByStickel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I bought this to do some dirt-roading with my GF on her dual sport. I planned to register it as an F8. Put the project on hold when I realized how irritated she'd be from having to breathe in the smoke...

ByStickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #65
firecrotch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
Plaiting a two stroke is the only way to go. Simplicity and reliablity= more riding time

firecrotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 01:12 PM   #66
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByStickel View Post
I bought this to do some dirt-roading with my GF on her dual sport. I planned to register it as an F8. Put the project on hold when I realized how irritated she'd be from having to breathe in the smoke...
wow, haven't seen too many relatives for this ol' thang around here... mine is a poor cousin, but it's plated!:

mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 AM   #67
ihatemybike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363

Don't know if these are the same everywhere, but in the US they were 4-strokes with overheating issues. Local dealer has 3 in storage, has all but given up on getting them to work right. When they first arrived in his shop I was kinda looking into getting one to be my first moto in over 2 decades.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #68
ByStickel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
"...mine is a poor cousin, but it's plated!"

That's a beauty! I still want to resto mine and plate it, even if the process if a bit iffy. Although the 350 (mine has the bigger barrel) is plenty, I'm playing with the idea of a 500 or 750 triple, just for shock value (;
ByStickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #69
bchunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Yup, like I said, as long as your gearing is correct for what you are going to be doing, and you spend the time on your jetting, it is an amazing ride. Mine is so smooth, no vibes at all, and I love cruising with the KLR's on the highway. They keep looking down at their bikes cause they are hearing the 2T sounds and they think there is something wrong with their bike

bchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 PM   #70
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,109
I've done about 20 miles of pavement on my 200EXC at a time.
At about 50 mph. Wasn't bad, mine tops out at about 65 mph.

I have the LC4 for rides with more pavement, but the EXC is fun.

Fuel range is shit tho, even with a bigger tank.
Think if I tried 100 miles on it I'd be pushing or calling a ride.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:27 PM   #71
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,398
I loves me some two stroke bikes. Unfortunately, I don't see how I can keep my KDX. Nowhere to ride here in Texas, no public land. For awhile several of us were leasing some land.

I thought of dual sporting it but it would be screaming its head off all to just do gravel and dirt roads in the area.

So, got me a WR and love it but it will never have the feel of a two stroke.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #72
bchunter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
In one weekend I put 600 km's on my bike, a mix of everything from highway droning to single track riding, all in 34 degree celsius heat. Most of those pics that I posted above were from that trip. No issues at all. For the highway drones, I would just stop in the shade behind the fuel station and take off my 12 tooth front and put on my 14 tooth front, which takes me all of 5 minutes. Et Volia, I am crusing at 100 km/hr at just under the pipe. Want to pass, just twist the right hand and blow by anything you want.

On the rear I am running a 41, and for 95% of my riding I am using a 13T on the front. Like I said, if I am going on a long trip somewhere I carry a 12T and 14T with me, plus a couple extra countershaft circlips as those things tend to jump free :) I am jetted a hair fat due to the fact that this engine leans out the hotter it gets, but nowhere fat enough to cause issues. These engines are so deep that on most of my rides I am not even close to the pipe, just rolling in 2nd or 3rd. I hit the pipe just because I love the sound but the corners come up WAY too fast!!! Then once I get back on the road, roll it up and there is no issues at all hanging at the flow of traffic.

Since I did this build, I have put around 3000 km's on the KTM engine in one year. My buddy that rides a KTM 300 just did a piston swap at 300+ hrs, an approximated 10,000 km's of dual sport riding. When we pulled off the jug, we were wondering why we were replacing the piston, it was in perfect shape.

Like I have said in the past, gear it for what you want to do and spend the time on your jetting, and there is no reason that you can't dual sport a two stroke. Of course it is going to be buzzy on the road if you keep the stock dirt gearing, if you are just connecting trails and want that dirt pull, then live with the vibes. If you are like me and are doing more longer dual sport rides, then gear it for such. If I am going for a ride, it is never under 100 km's, usually around the 150-200 mark. The luxury of living in Northern Canada.

Plus nothing can replace the looks you get when you kick over a 2T when you are sitting at a hoity toity golf course ;)

bchunter screwed with this post 11-09-2013 at 09:53 AM
bchunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #73
snoman002
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
You guys are my heros!

I wanted a 2 stroke commuter supermoto like nothing else, but ended having an XR650L cross my path at an insane deal and couldn't pass it up.

For you guys putting serious miles on your 2 strokes, how is it for riding long distances or commuter miles? Replacing the piddly amount of transmission oil every weekend, or halfway to your destination? Find getting gas at a gas station a pain since you need to add oil? How does the motor handle slab riding, any burnt pistons from an hour of highway riding? If its not to bad I might just look at trading my XRL for a big bore KTM or similar.

There is something super appealing about walking out of work and kicking over my 2 stroke in the string of Harleys while wearing a suit and tie.
snoman002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:49 PM   #74
dhallilama
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman002 View Post
You guys are my heros!

I wanted a 2 stroke commuter supermoto like nothing else, but ended having an XR650L cross my path at an insane deal and couldn't pass it up.

For you guys putting serious miles on your 2 strokes, how is it for riding long distances or commuter miles? Replacing the piddly amount of transmission oil every weekend, or halfway to your destination? Find getting gas at a gas station a pain since you need to add oil? How does the motor handle slab riding, any burnt pistons from an hour of highway riding? If its not to bad I might just look at trading my XRL for a big bore KTM or similar.

There is something super appealing about walking out of work and kicking over my 2 stroke in the string of Harleys while wearing a suit and tie.

my 2 stroke dual sport is old, air-cooled, a little temperamental and basically a low-buck beater. that being said, for me it's a great bike for the road around town & finding "urban enduro" areas (abandoned commercial lots, for the most part).
the furthest i've taken it so far is a ~120 mile round trip in one day. it was fine, but i'm using trials tires... the front tracks the grooves on the freeway. it's geared up to cruise at 60mph under the pipe (so not on it), gets pretty decent mileage, doesn't vibrate too much.
I'd happily take it further, but really don't have the free time to do so (4 kids, 3 of 'em little).

i carry premix with me, in a graduated bottle... pre-marked in 1/4 gallon increments, at my ratio (40:1). put 2 gallons of gas in? pour in the right amount of oil, put the gas cap on, rock the bike back/forth, side/side a few times and i'm off.

it's jetted just a touch rich... keeps it safe. jetting & gearing make or break a 2 stroke when it comes to distance and/or steady speeds.

funny thing is, i'm now looking for an XR600L... maybe 650L... i like them too much. i'll keep the 2 stroke, too.

as far as kick starting it in a row of harleys... i kick all my my bikes (even my harley) in a row of harleys (though i don't own a suit)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #75
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
I have a 97 RMX 250 that I am rebuilding and fully plan on plating it for Dual Sport trips around here in Idaho. Thankfully, blinkers aren't required here. One less thing.

I love this bike. Have ridden the piss out of it and am love just how cheap it is to rebuild the whole bike.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote