User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
PeterHOz OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Two up & fully loaded - bottoming out ?

The wife & I are about to do a bit of touring through Tasmania. We will be fully loading both panniers and the top box + tank bag. We are also using 2 additional watertight bags which will be secured to the top of the panniers. I have never loaded the GS with this much, but the last time we did a short weekend trip with less luggage the rear suspension bottomed out on a few occasions.

I have the pre-load setting on the rear at maximum, so was wondering whether anyone has some suggestions or tips on how much the bike can take without it becoming a problem.

Before anyone makes derogatory remarks (what...In ADV forum, you must be joking ) the wife is slim and petite (around 55kg), I am around 85 kg and the panniers, additional pannier bags & top box when loaded probably add around 25kg to the 10-15kg or so for the empty panniers. So all up I estimate the load to be 180kg (~400lbs)

Thanks, Pete
PeterHOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHOz View Post
I have the pre-load setting on the rear at maximum, so was wondering whether anyone has some suggestions or tips on how much the bike can take without it becoming a problem.
FYI, increasing the preload only makes sure that your suspension is it's optimal stroke range. It does not provide you any bottoming out abilities. In fact, you could say that it acerbates the situation because the bottoming can transmit more force to the body.

I've never done two up with gear, so I don't know how bad it is. I am actually reasonably happy with the rear, I don't have too many complaints about it.
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #3
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
To get the bike to handle "properly", that is....to handle more or less like you were riding solo...you will need to up the spring rates.

I ended up with the heaviest spring that Ohlins have for their shock, at somewhere around the 23.8kg/mm...I can't remember exactly what it is rated at, but it was over 23 and almost 24.

The front I had the standard forks with 0.55kg/mm Ohlins springs and 10 weight oil. This worked well for a mixture of road and rough trail riding. For mainly road I'd go harder in the spring rate, and for mainly off road...well, I threw away the original entire front end and fitted an MX front end with stiffer high speed damping, heavier oil, and 0.50kg/mm springs. Works a treat.

I got the Ohlins revalved multiple times. I resprung multiple times to get tot where I am.

Wifey is no feather weight. She is a pear shaped grandmother. I am about 92kg.

Total load last time I weighed everything was about 230kg for a weekend off road and camping trip.

I have my set up so that I have the standard loaded sag, when I have the pillion and gear loaded. It leaves it a bit stiffer when unloaded, but I still managed to bottom it and wreck bashplates....mainly because I treat it like shit.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I would also add that the shock offered by Ohlins in Australia isn't up to the task for 2 up work if you do push things harder.

I am interested in the shock shown on the Touratech US website as the "Extreme". It has an anti bottom out valving function.

The Ohlins is very linear in the way it blows through the travel, despite re valving.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:29 AM   #5
chris73
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I think I am just going to get a wilbers from Ted's Beemer shop. That should fix me up.
chris73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:28 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,465
http://www.photos4aidan.com/actions/F800GSPreload.html
This should help to set your suspension right but don't wait for a wonder if you have the stock suspension. Hope Duffs can chime in since he overloaded that bike with two big fellas and a lot of gear last time
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:56 AM   #7
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

I just measure it and aim for 1/3 of the travel as loaded sag.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 189
my 0.2 $

Maybe you should take a good look at your gear/luggage and try to foresee if you would actually use all those stuff... Remember, packing light is mandatory and less is more!!!
Safe travels.
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjones View Post
Maybe you should take a good look at your gear/luggage and try to foresee if you would actually use all those stuff... Remember, packing light is mandatory and less is more!!!
Safe travels.
so what you're saying is to leave the wife at home right?

Seems like a good plan to me
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjones View Post
Safe travels.
I think 8 years as an infantryman taught me all I need about packing light.

It depends on where you're going. Most of the spots I head to, tear the side out of a tyre and you'll be there a few days at least before you see anyone else.

A couple of spots, depending on the time of year, you could sit in the middle of the track for at least a week without seeing another vehicle.

In winter I've had it get down to minus 8 Celsius overnight.

Everything I take is necessary.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:43 AM   #11
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterHOz View Post
The wife & I are about to do a bit of touring through Tasmania. We will be fully loading both panniers and the top box + tank bag. We are also using 2 additional watertight bags which will be secured to the top of the panniers. I have never loaded the GS with this much, but the last time we did a short weekend trip with less luggage the rear suspension bottomed out on a few occasions.

Before anyone makes derogatory remarks (what...In ADV forum, you must be joking ) the wife is slim and petite (around 55kg), I am around 85 kg and the panniers, additional pannier bags & top box when loaded probably add around 25kg to the 10-15kg or so for the empty panniers. So all up I estimate the load to be 180kg (~400lbs)

Thanks, Pete
Have you weighed the bike loaded or are you just guessing? The bikes 500 lb capacity is before you start adding accessories. Your helmets, boots and clothing alone could add 30 pounds to your load. Most people underestimate the actual weight of their load. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 05:19 AM   #12
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

This is entirely correct. Mine weighs in at around 230kg before I pack it. That's the bike, crash bars, pannier racks, panniers, top rack, bark busters, and all the other accessories and mods taken into account. Then basically I add that again with wife, me, and camping gear, clothes, food, spares etc.

So pretty much, about 80% of the time I ride it off road it's at maximum design load.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #13
Yankee Dog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Either your supension is bad or you are too heavily loaded. And I am going to guess at too heavily loaded. This is me loaded for a three week 2up trip with the missus. Note that the missus fits on there behind me. And bewteen the two of use we mass 350 pounds before gear and lugagge.

We never bottomed out on the trip. And I cant believe the Tiger has a better suspension than your GS. The stuff on top of the panniers is two sleeping bags on the right and rain gear on the left. All of her stuff fit in the left side pannier. All of my stuff except camp shoes fit in that green bag you see on the crash bar.

You too can live with less.

[img][/img]
Yankee Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:51 AM   #14
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

The standard GS shock seems to have a real linear feel to it as far as damping goes. To be honest, with a similar weight spring, the Ohlins was better over trail chop, tree roots, brake bumps, rocks and the like, but bottomed easier than the standard shock when going over erosion humps that are cut into steep sections of track. It tops out as you crest, and slams onto the bump stop as you hit the bottom. Like a see saw motion. It handles harder square edged hits a bit better, but still not what I'd expect for the money.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
arjones
Roads and Waves

Oddometer: 189
Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
I think 8 years as an infantryman taught me all I need about packing light.

It depends on where you're going. Most of the spots I head to, tear the side out of a tyre and you'll be there a few days at least before you see anyone else.

A couple of spots, depending on the time of year, you could sit in the middle of the track for at least a week without seeing another vehicle.

In winter I've had it get down to minus 8 Celsius overnight.

Everything I take is necessary.
Sorry Snowy, but that was for the OP, who actually asked the question... Think of Lost Rider (Finn, former Chitown) and you get there... From pictures to ride reports, that guy gave us important lessons about packing light.
But then again, who would mess with the US Army? They know everything...
To the OP: it's not uncommon to see bikers who realize they don't use 30% (at least) of what they take on their trips. Take a look at the RTW's ride reports here at adv. Take a good look at RoninMoto's bike... or Radioman's bike (which is a F800GS as well).
arjones is offline   Reply With Quote