Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #91
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
Wow

Those mountain trails look fantastic. Thanks for the great pics

Tell your friend to get a taxi and keep posting.
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #92
DeeGee OP
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,861
Video

Finally got a video montage done After two hours of trying to embed the video it's finally won. I can't for the life of me suss it out so you'll just have to click the link

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUbT5...yer_detailpage
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #93
Louisdut
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
Great Video

Catch you soon

Louis

Louisdut screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:01 AM
Louisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #94
DeeGee OP

Go on what did I do wrong??
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #95
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Go on what did I do wrong??
Did'nt pay attention in school maybe.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #96
joneswgareth
Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer: 196

I thought I recognised that hotel mate!! Looks like the trees have grown a bit though

Old 01-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #97
DeeGee OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswgareth View Post

I thought I recognised that hotel mate!! Looks like the trees have grown a bit though

I've just spent the last two fookin hours updating this RR and my bloody laptop has just crashed!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #98
DeeGee OP

And breathe!

So we ate at Pizza Hut and washed it down with a few beers back at the hotel reflecting on the great days riding we'd had, then hit the sack. After a hearty breakfast it was time to load up the bikes again and head further north.

We set off into the European feeling city in search of a cash machine, after the first two weren't working we found the third one to be functional.

Next stop fuel.

We wanted to stay outside Tangier, but close enough to the port just in case we had any mechanical issues, that way at least we'd have enough time to fix any problems. We decided to head for Larache on the north west coast, we arrived in the early afternoon. Again it had a surprisingley european feel about the place and the temperature was still up as we rolled into town.

We stayed at the Hotel Espana which you can see in the background of the picture below.

We found the hotel had secure parking albeit a few streets away, so we checked in and then the guy who checked us in said he'd show us the way to the secure garage. Nothing strange about that other than the fact that the guy was a dwarf and he chose to jump on the back of my bike. The guy was in his element as he waved and shouted to his friends mulling around the streets and drinking tea in street side cafes. We secured the bikes once there then made the short walk back to the hotel.

A quick shower and change and we went for a stroll and a brew.

We had a wander round the market and shops.

Pete couldn't resist getting his body out in a shop trying on a shirt for his son back home

We then decided to split up before meeting up later for tea (or dinner if you're posh!)

Jack and I made our way back to the hotel after trying (and failing) to find a place for a beer. We saw Terry in the lounge area not looking too good, he'd had some sad news from home. Before the trip his nephew had undergone major heart surgery and he'd been picking up infection after infection. Sadly he passed away. We offered our most sincere condolences and gave him a hug and a shoulder, we then left him to be alone.

The guy who showed us the parking earlier in the day recommended a good restaurant to eat and he showed us the way through the crowded streets. Some of us had doubts about where he was taking us as we seemed to be walking for ages, but the doubts we soon quashed as we were led up some stairs where we ate and drank like King & Queen.

We could have stayed a couple more days in Morocco, but essentially Terry confessed that the trip was over for him now and he just wanted to get home to be with his family. We all agreed that we would go and get the ferry the following day.

Time to load the bikes once again.

We made the short trip to Tangier, we passed many of these on the way!

Plan was to hang back just in case one of the bales were to come loose, wait until the road was clear and then nail it as quick as possible!

We soon arrived on the outskirts of Tangier and we braced ourselves for the onslaught of the rush hour. It was pretty manic as we weaved our way through the streets, we took a couple of wrong turns courtesy of the local police we then found our way relatively unscathed at the port. We were quickly ushered through as we were told that there was a boat in ready to go.

We all frantically searched for pens to fill in the correct forms and searched for the import/export forms, passports and tickets, we were all through in record time and Pete was that impressed with the guys help he gave him a €5 tip................ Which I noticed was a €50 note I loved Pete's reaction, he simply shrugged and said it's only money, easy come easy go. He then went on to say that the money would probably feed his family for a couple of weeks!

We waited for the ferry............... And waited................And waited some more.

We messed around.

And waited some more

We were then told that there was a problem with the boat on the other side and we'd have to get the next one, we had come to realise that this was the "Moroccan" way. As we waited the port started to fill with other passengers and cars, we got a guy to take a "team" photo.

Then the boat finally arrived.

There was a huge yatch in the port, not sure whom it belonged to, but it was impressive!

We boarded the boat and secured the bikes.

We were off and saying goodbye to a wonderful country and continent.

Terry wasted no time in getting some shut eye

Pete checking his phone still works.

Next stop Spain!

DeeGee screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 04:10 AM
Old 01-08-2013, 04:18 AM   #99
BELSTAFF
ADV NOMAD

Oddometer: 1,090
Hey Gav

Wow! man You took some outstanding photos, great color Glad you all had wonderful holiday, guess your putting the pound notes in the can for the next one Huh?
Keep in touch ok
Jeff

Arizona OHV Ambassador
BELSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:24 AM   #100
DeeGee OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELSTAFF View Post
Wow! man You took some outstanding photos, great color Glad you all had wonderful holiday, guess your putting the pound notes in the can for the next one Huh?
Keep in touch ok
Jeff
Hey Jeff! Hope you're well my friend? Cheers for the comments re the pics. To be fair I have used a few which the other lads took and some which Jack even took!!

We're coming over to the Mighty U. S. of A this year for a family holiday to Florida, leaving the bike at home hopefully we might get over to France for a week, but if not we're thinking of going over to watch the Dakar in 2015
Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #101
Frog uk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Gav,

Wish I spotted Demis Roussos when I crossed the road to the cash point, would of been nice to get his autograph

And boy, don't I look FIT with my shirt off in that shop, don't know how you managed to stop Jack coming to my room at night.

Just remembered how great it was getting up every morning, loading the bikes, and setting off to ride all day with like minded folk.
Frog uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 AM   #102
DeeGee OP

So we arrived back in Tarifa and disembarked and made our way into the Spanish streets and began to retrace our tyre tracks back east to Alhaurin el Grande. We had arranged to stay in the same hotel we had stopped in on the way down. Terry rode onto Hana's to get his road tyres fitted, he was planning an early start the following morning in the hope of catching an earlier ferry to get home to be with his family.

We all ate and drank once he returned, then retired for the night as we were all going to be up early the next day.

We wished Terry a safe journey and told him to take it steady.

Then he was off into the morning darkness.

After breakfast we all packed up and made our way to Hana's to get our tyres swapped back over. Rob fired straight in for the jack again!

He thought it was funny............................. Again!

I used Jack as a jack........................ Again!

We thanked Hana and Patrick and then we were off.

After a couple of dead ends and wrong turns thanks to our satnavs we started making progress as we weaved our way north, the scenery was pretty good as we motored along with the sun on our backs. We pulled into a town just on the outskirts of Cordoba, we ate tapa's and drank cokes as we checked the map.

Jack not so sure?

While we ate we decided to call it a day and we'd stay in the town we were in, there was a hotel just down the road, but after checking it out decided against it as there was no secure parking for the bikes. We chatted with the young guy who'd brought our drinks and food and it turned out his father owned a motel, so we followed him in his car as he led us through the streets onto his dads place.

While we ate that evening we all decided that we would all benefit from some time on the road on our own so we all agreed to go our own way the next day and meet up at the ferry port.

We had all had a lot of early morning starts on the trip so Jack and I decided we wouldn't set the alarm for the next day.

We got up when we woke up and found that we were the last ones to leave. We headed further north and stumbled upon the medieval city called Avila just north west of Madrid. It had a great wall surrounding it and is famed for the association of Saint Teresa.

Jack and I found a hotel within the walls, once we'd parked the bike we were showered and changed and we then went for a wander round the city.

I bet the stonework on this took an age!

I love food!!

We called into a local bar, it was fantastic, not a TV in sight showing shitty soaps or Sky Sports screening football from back home. There were Tapas being advertised, but it was all local produce. I've come to loathe the "comercial" bars which we used to go in when the family were younger on our annual holidays abroad. This was the real deal, and not one of the locals could speak English, we got by though on my broken Spanish. The bar was busy and all the gents in the place were all playing a type of card game with great passion and gusto. Shouting and cursing as the cards were being thrown down on the table, it was great to watch.

As we drank our beers the young lady behind the bar brought us some fresh bread and cured ham which was hanging above the bar. As we made conversation there was some kind of offer where you bought four beers and you got a couple of tapas free, so we ordered more beers and more ham!

The ham just melted in the mouth, it was gorgeous. I spoke to Rob on the phone and it turned out he was in the same city as us, we invited him over for something to eat, but he'd already decided to eat at the hotel he was staying in.
I'd called Pete, but no answer so I left a message and Terry had made it to a Bilbao and was getting an early ferry that day. I was happy in the knowledge that he'd made it ok and wished him a safe crossing. Pete called me back later and said he'd put a mammoth day in the saddle and had ridden up to Caen in France a grand total of around 1200 miles, he was getting a ferry the next morning. Again I wished him a safe crossing and a safe ride home.

Jack and I went for another walk around the city.

Saint Teresa statue.

The following day we packed up and as we made our way out of the city we could tell straight away that the temperature had dropped quite considerably, there was a definate chill in the air. As we made our way further north the wind picked up and violently tried shaking us off our trusty Katoom. I don't mind riding in any weather, but I really hate riding in strong wind. I can't tell you how many times I thought the bike was going to whipped away from underneath us. We stopped after a couple of hours to grab a coffee and to give me a break from fighting the wind.

Jack and I decided to get onto the motorway and get some mileage under us. We arrived in Bilbao mid afternoon just as the rain started to come down. We checked a couple of hotels, but they were either extortionately expensive or they didn't have any rooms or they only had reservations for one night. We kept riding round the huge city weaving our way through the busy streets, fighting the one way systems, toll roads and motorways and all the while the rain getting heavier and heavier. We'd had a long day and we were both getting tired and frustrated, so I pulled over and punched in a town not far from the port into the satnav and made our way out of the metropolis of Bilbao.

We finally got a hotel in the Basque Country city of Bermeo.

Jack checked her phone.

We had a couple of days off before we had to make our way to the port and we had a leisurely walk round the city.

Loads of fish in the harbour!

The city had a few statues dotted around looking out towards the sea. I'm guessing it was a thriving fishing community at one time and some of the statues were quite poignant.

There was this plaque on the statue above, I've tried to decipher it, but had no joy, if anyone knows what it says I'd love to know.

A worried wife awaiting her fishermans' husband safe return.

Jack playing hide and seek!

A few randoms.

Looking up.

Looking down.

Moody skies.

Time for a beer!

And another.

We'd had a good day looking round the city, had a few beers and we retired once again. The next day the skies were grey once again and the rain had started. An hour or so later we were at the port waiting in the small lounge area, we had a few hours to kill before we could get on the boat. Rob soon arrived not long after us. I'd heard from Pete and Terry who both had made it home safely.

The crossing was pleasant, we played cards, listened to music and slept a bit. Jack found time to have a manicure and
have her nails painted!

Lighthouse in the distance.

Last minute retail therapy.

We disembarked in the wet dark evening, Rob had kindly offered to put us up for the night if we didn't fancy making the long journey in the wet. We thanked him, but decided to press on and get home.

We stopped a couple of times at the services to take on some hot coffee and to get ourselves warm. As we neared home I was full of emotions once again as I reflected back on the trip. Jack gave me a hug as she guessed what was going through my mind. We finally made it back home safe and sound around 2.00 am. After I parked the bike in the garage I had a couple of moments before I closed and locked the garage door. Our trusty steed had carried us both loaded up to the hilt almost 4500 miles, only one hitch being the fuel pump. In all those miles we'd fallen off the bike two times; once in a slow speed spill and once we'd got stuck between the bike and the armco barrier as we'd stopped to look at a map after a wrong turn.

We were all back in one piece, no major dramas, a truly great time, fantastic memories and a wonderful country to boot.

I just want to say a big thanks to Rob, Pete and Terry for the companionship and thanks for letting me use some of their photographs which I have included in this ride report.

I'd also like you to meet a dear friend of mine, who has the job of keeping us safe while we're on our travels. You see this gent knows someone in a high place...... Very high in fact. Meet Steve. Steve's a vicar and he's the chap who carried out the service when Jack and I got married way back. Every time Jack and I go away on a trip I always call Steve prior to us setting off and he has "a word" with the big man upstairs and asks him to look out for us. Now I'm not a very religious person and I'm sure Steve won't mind me saying so, but we have had a few scrapes and near misses on the road, some which could have been very serious. Thanks to Steve and his prayers to date we've always made it home safe and sound, so here's a thanks to Steve the vicar. Thank you.

And finally to my partner in crime, Jack, to the greatest pillion ever!

Thank you.

DeeGee screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 06:11 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #103
joneswgareth
Welsh Rarebit

Oddometer: 196
Well about bloody time!

Again a great RR matey - thanks for taking the time to share. Looks like you had a cracking trip.

See you soon I hope
Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #104
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneswgareth View Post
Well about bloody time!
No kidding! I didn't think they'd ever get out of Morocco. I guess now that the Dakar is over and Pyn has his cake it was time to tie up loose ends.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #105
Dave J
Still no Fi

Oddometer: 38
Cracking read and pics our kid. Kept me busy tonight.

DJ