User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,196
Final Drive Drip Drip

I checked non-engine oils on Friday for the first time. It's a new to me R80gspd.

Final drive plug felt a bit funny coming out, like loosening fastener that had locktite applied. And a slight wobble.

Didn't go back very well, wouldn't get tight. And of course now dripping. Looking for thoughts on short term fix (such as RTV) and long term fix (heli coil.)

What do you think?

There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,428
That's a pretty common one to strip. You guessed it. Helicoil.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Thanks.

Is it ok to do in place? I'm thinking of shavings or other negative repercussions.

In a perfect world, I guess I'd disassemble but would like to save the labor (plus the risk of final drive noobness...)
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

oh yeah, and at the risk of starting a hoily war....

What is the preferred final drive lubricant....

Old 10-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #5
JonnyCash
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,477
On my /5, which I've had for almost 20 years, the drain plug for the driveshaft is stripped. It has been the whole time I've had it. I've always meant to fix it proper, but twenty years later, I'm still just gooping up the threads with threebond every time it put it back in. It has never been a problem. I don't know how badly stripped yours are, but mine are still intact enough that it threads straight in, and if I just use my fingers,I can't over tighten it. My bike used to be full of half-ass fixes like this. Many of these things, I've gone back and fixed properly, but not this one.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,849
When you install helicoil you coat the drill bit with heavy grease to catch the chips. You drill part way, clean grease and chips, renew grease, repeat until drilled.

Then you do the same process for the tap, heavy grease, tap some, remove and renew grease.

Install helicoil, coat the end of the install tool with heavy grease to catch the tang you break off. Or break it off with needle nose pliers.

Then I fill with detergent motor oil run on centerstand a bit and allow to drain well. then fill with gear oil, and ride for about 500 miles, when I change again.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,240
You could also chase the threads on the drive and use teflon tape on the plug until you get around to fixing it. Luckily it isn't under a whole lot of pressure and should keep the oil in. I run lucas 80/90 gear oil. I've run mine almost completly dry under very hard circumstances....and the drive looks brand new. I think the biggest fear is the oil dripping on the rear tire.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #8
caponerd
Kickstart Enthusiast

Oddometer: 1,980
mine got stripped years ago. I didn't feel like taking the thing apart to fit a helicoil, so I just cleaned the plug and hole really well with a bit of solvent on a rag, and applied some silicone rtv sealant to the threads. I drilled a couple of corners on the hex head of the plug so I could fit safety wires, and threaded the thing in finger tight, then added a safety wire twisted to tighten against the unscrewing direction of the plug.
It cured the drip, and hasn't loosened up.
caponerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Thanks for all the great ideas.

I like the teflon tape cause I have some at the house. Gave it a shot but bolt is even more loose now, I can jiggle it when all the way in. Little fuddermucker came out with fingers, may have to duck tape the teflon tape fix to hold in place.

Threebond sounds good as an intermediary - something to get me January before helicoil permanent fix (thanks for the grease / shavings write up - probably save me a thread on re-piecing a final drive )

Got a few options for three bond This the one?

Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
I never take those out. They are prone to strip. I just measure what I put in and leave it at that. I always talk about how I never pull studs or strip sump bolt threads or have drive shaft bolts come loose but I have striped one of those before.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 PM   #11
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
I never take those out.
Now you tell me

Jenna that pic of yours gives me great confidence my drive will not let me down out in the bush. Looks like you've got a nice custom quick fill with that banjo.

I should have goop in the mail tomorrow, plug it Thr when I'm back in town and field testing scheduled for Friday

Helicoil has a tangless insert that looks perfect but I'm out for the $300 tool to fit it

Old 10-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

My web order for threebond 1211 got botched and I ended up with thread lock. Vendor error and they've made me whole but I'm still without goop.

And, it's October This is the very best time of the year here. Forecast for Sat / Sun is big blue 70 with smatters of red and yellow down low.

So, while trying to temporarily stop drip drip I fiddled in an 8mm x 1.25 socket cap I had on hand. WAY to long at 25mm but stopped spillage and got me thinking.

OEM seems like it might be 8mm x 1.00 (fine thread - sound right?) and is 8mm long.

How much longer than 8mm can I go before I interfere with internals? I'm wondering if I jam an 8mm x 1.25 (10mm or 12mm long) in there if it will connect with hard parts.

I'm also considering JB weld the whole fkr

I promise never to remove this piece again.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #13
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,681
Check post 882 on for details on repairing this one

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+drive&page=45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,036
Several wraps of teflon tape, found anywhere there are plumbers, will keep it from leaking until you're ready to repair it.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #15
Sutherngintelmen OP
around the bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Check post 882 on for details on repairing this one

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+drive&page=45
Nice post - thanks for the pointer. I look forward to the soon coming winter day when I torque insert.

This pic looks like I can use a 10 mm instead of oem 8mm and not do damage. I think I'll add an extra washer and give myself effective 9mm penetration. Good news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
Several wraps of teflon tape, found anywhere there are plumbers, will keep it from leaking until you're ready to repair it.
hardwaregrrl pointed me at teflon tape as possible temp remedy and I gave it a try but my fit was to buggered up to benefit and drip drip when on about its biz....