Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #151
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.zardoz View Post
Fellow maritimer here, would love to be along for the ride... but will have to be happy with subbing to your thread... my day will come... been retired for 14 years.. but haven't got a suitable bike for such a trip. Perhaps I'll have something bigger for next summers adventures.

tyz
Nice to have a Maritimer follow along! Welcome

I'm going to try and get an update done later this morning before football....stay tuned
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:57 AM   #152
Kedgi OP
Banned

Nice Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-ray View Post
You're getting close to my neck of the woods. You have a meal on me if you stop in the Mandeville area on the way through. I also have a bike lift and garage available if you need to do any maintenance.
Hey Motor-Ray

That's a nice offer and I just may take you up on that. I'm not exactly sure when I will leave the panhandle area but I'll PM you when I decide to move on. I still want to see Flora-Bama and if I can find a place nearby I may hang out there for a day or two.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #153
Kedgi OP
Banned

Panama City Beach

I have arrived in Panama City Beach. PCB.

Yesterday on the 90 mile ride down from Dothan, AL I stopped and took pictures of cotton growing.

Most of my ride was along two lane blacktop like this in excellent weather, 80F and Sunny, perfect for the KLR

Then I arrived in PCB.

I searched the length of the beach looking for a place to stay. I even checked out the State Park. I wanted a place within walking distance of a decent little bar where I could watch NFL football on Sunday and chill out for a couple days after completing 4000 kms to the Gulf of Mexico

I almost gave up and moved further West but then I checked out one of the first places I had seen. The Emerald Bay

Then I met the manager, Timothy. Very nice guy!

Timothy gave me what I thought was a good deal. $65/night taxes in for this beautiful apartment, one block from the beach

I park in my own spot right outside my door and the beach is just the other side of that highrise

Here is the beach

Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #154
Kedgi OP
Banned

Gulf Coast

If you have never seen them you owe it to yourself to visit the beaches of the Gulf Coast. Stunning! White sand doesn't describe it. The sand is like powdered sugar.

It is really bright.

I finally got to see Margaritaville, Panama City Beach. It is about a mile east of where I'm staying. I rode by and tried to take a movie with my GoPro which was full because I had made a movie I hadn't planned on again. GoPro's need a more positive button and a light you can see in sunlight. Margaritaville is part of a huge outdoor shopping complex called Pier Park

I rode around the Pier Park loop and didn't see anything of particular interest to me. It is all tourist shopping, restaurants and bars, much of it very upscale. So once I settled in my room I decided to walk to Margaritaville along the beach. I made this little movie clip with my Olympus camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5022-dRh-hg
Old 10-28-2012, 08:16 AM   #155
Kedgi OP
Banned

Margaritaville, PCB, Florida

I went in for a look around. It's a very nice bar.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:27 AM   #156
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cool2 One beer

I had one beer, a Landshark Lager and then walked back to my apartment along the street.

By the way, this is the bar at the other end of the Pier Park Gate from Margaritaville. This gives you a sense up the upscale beach style architecture in Pier Park

On my way back I saw this beautiful '64 Chevy

And I saw where you can buy a piece of the beach

Or if over a million bucks seems too steep for a small lot, how about a condo?

I was talking to a local contractor later who told me that a lot of these big high rises are half empty. I'll bet you could negotiate a better deal.

Now that I've updated my ride report, I intend to just chill and watch football at the Sand Bar, which is right across the street
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #157
Kedgi OP
Banned

Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
You'll have to tell me about the Panama City area, Kedg. I am looking to put my feet up in a reasonably priced furnished studio for maybe a month but from what I am seeing down here in the Keys, it prolly won't be here. But, that coast looks inviting.
Hey Toadride

This spot at Emerald Bay is very nice. I'm sure Timothy would give you a good deal for a month, but I think he told me he's full November through February. This building is on Rte 79 where it intersects Front Beach Road in PCB

I went in the McDonalds this morning for breakfast and I saw a free Classifieds Paper. There were a lot of furnished rentals available for about $200/week. I have no idea what they are like but I'm sure you'd find something. Be aware that Florida, this far north can be very cool at times in December through February

Kedgi screwed with this post 10-28-2012 at 08:45 AM
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #158
Kedgi OP
Banned

Annie the Goat

From my visit in MD with Karen and Roland

Here's Annie the goat

http://youtu.be/4KEeyjt9IS4
Old 10-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #159
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Make sure to visit 30a while you are down there PCB.
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #160
motor-ray
FNG

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Hey Motor-Ray

That's a nice offer and I just may take you up on that. I'm not exactly sure when I will leave the panhandle area but I'll PM you when I decide to move on. I still want to see Flora-Bama and if I can find a place nearby I may hang out there for a day or two.
Sounds good. I'll PM you my phone number also as I travel for work so phone is often the best way to reach me.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #161
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappyscooter View Post
Make sure to visit 30a while you are down there PCB.

30A is a great ride! Thanks
Old 10-29-2012, 05:28 AM   #162
Kedgi OP
Banned

Seahawks lost

Angele and I lived in Vancouver for 12 years and over that time we became Seattle Seahawks fans They lost a tough one to the Detroit Lions yesterday. I watched it at the Sandbar, across the street from where I'm staying. Had one of the best club sandwiches I ever had with ham turkey and bacon and really good crinkle cut fries, I wish I had my camera with me so I could show you how good it was. The sandwich and 4 beers came to $17.00 ......In Canada the 4 beers cost more than that!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 AM   #163
Kedgi OP
Banned

After the football game

After the football game. I came back to my apartment and skyped the folks at home who were all gathered for the football game as usual. It was nice. I felt like I was home for a little while. Skype is wonderful when it works.

Then I walked to Whiskey's Saloon which is just a few hundred feet from my little apartment. They were having a jam session and they have a happy hour Canadians can only dream of.

Whiskey's

Whiskey's Happy Hour!!!!!

$5.00 pitchers

We haven't had $5.00 pitchers in Canada since the 1970's

I met the waitress, Dallas

And I hung out with a bunch of other Canadians, from Ontario, who had been in PCB for a month. They were easily identified as Canadians by their use of the word....eh!

They even participated in the jam. There were a lot of talented people in the bar. The music was very good and at one point I counted 9 people on stage. For an unrehearsed jam it was excellent.

It was fun!

Then I saw this promotion. Makes me realize there is something very wrong with Canadian beer prices. We pay $42.00 for 24 beer at home at the liquor store and $5 for a beer in a bar. Here they give away a keg at Monday night football and it's all you can drink for $10.00 during Thursday night football, many places have $2 draught and some have $1 draught.

Today it is clear and cool 7C. It's actually warmer back in Shediac. Hurricane Sandy is drawing cold air down here. When it warms up a bit I am headed West to Fora-Bama.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #164
Kedgi OP
Banned

PCB to Gulf Shores, AL

I took my time today riding from PCB to Gulf Shores, Alabama. I waited until 10am for the Post Office to open. I had a pair of jeans with me I decided I didn't need. They take up a lot of room and are heavy. I mailed them to friends in NH where I can pick them up later. It's surprising how much more room that made on the bike. Everything is not such a tight fit now.

Waiting until 10am was a good idea anyway. That Hurricane Sandy is sucking a lot of cold air down into Florida. It was 59 degrees here today, It's warmer back home. It is beautiful and clear and sunny but very cool for Florida. I had my heated grips on for a while this morning.

Here are a few pictures from today's ride

It was windy

I wondered the significance of the flags on the beaches, here is the key

There were untold thousands of nice places on the water, Houses, Condos and everything in between

Old 10-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #165
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Not to from our condo on 30A
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote