User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #241
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Farley Boats and the Farley Boat Works

Check out this link to Farley Boats and the Farley Boat works. I'm going to check out the Farley Boat Works Museum today.

Interesting history from Port Aransas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farley_Boats

and here is a link to the museum's website

http://portaransasmuseum.org/farley-boat-works/

I enjoy building wooden boats. This should be cool!

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 07:42 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #242
Kedgi OP
Banned

Leaving Galveston Video

Last Saturday morning when I left Galveston's Lone Star Rally I shot about ten minutes of video as I rode along the shore. Thousands of motorcycles! I would love to download the entire clip for you but with the wifi connections I've had youtube won't let me.

Here are the last two minutes or so. The bikes have thinned out a bit, but a Harley Rider's girl gives me a thumbs up. No doubt she "really" likes adventure riders. and at the end you can see clouds on the horizon that built into the electrical storm that stopped me in Bay City.

There is a guy in a camper van you get a glimpse of on the right shoulder. He had a good camera with a telephoto lens, snapping bike pictures and selling them on line. I think he got my picture but I can't remember the website address. Maybe someone can find it.

http://youtu.be/IkjPlWEqMBU
Old 11-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #243
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
It occurred to me to take pictures of my Anakees so you can see how well they wear. I have at least 7000kms mostly with a heavy load, on these, and would ride them a lot longer if I wasn't going somewhere I can't buy tires.

I figure when they start to "go away" they will go away fast and that's why I need new rubber.
Don't know how many more miles you expect to get out of that tire, it still looks like half thread on the photos. In my experience, the last 30% takes LONGER to run down, but YMMV.

FWIW, Bogota or Medellin are good places where you can easily find cheap tires (more expensive than in the US though). Let me know if you need addresses and/or GPS waypoints .

Ride safe. Buen viaje
Old 11-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #244
Kedgi OP
Banned

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS in Vzla. View Post
Don't know how many more miles you expect to get out of that tire, it still looks like half thread on the photos. In my experience, the last 30% takes LONGER to run down, but YMMV.

FWIW, Bogota or Medellin are good places where you can easily find cheap tires (more expensive than in the US though). Let me know if you need addresses and/or GPS waypoints .

Ride safe. Buen viaje
Thank you, I may well be in touch when I get there.

There is a lot of wear left in those tires but I have a long way to go to Colombia. If it's not too expensive I will UPS these tires back to friends in NH to pick them up and use later.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #245
Kedgi OP
Banned

farley Boats Works

I went to the Farley Boat Works

I met the operators, Darren and Blake (I hope I have that right)

I saw an original Farley they have.

Some new ones under construction in a beautiful shop

Including a modified modern version that will take a 60hp motor

Some history of Port A and Farley Boats was on display

Hand Tied fenders

They tell me for $1500 one can buy the materials, and volunteers provide the labor, while learning boat building technique and you get a nice wooden boat. There is a long waiting list as you might well imagine.

A finished boat in the yard

Old 11-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #246
Kedgi OP
Banned

My friends from Port A and the Salty Dog

Didn't get a picture of Christy, Christa, Chrystal and Jody or all 17 of my shuffleboard friends damn it!

Here are the few great spirits I captured.

Jack

Betty and Bill

And Yours truly with Sissy, who at the tender age of 86 (she said I could tell you) is concerned she may see a lot more adventure riders. Let's make that happen!

If you have never been to Port A......you don't know what you're missing.

( I can hear those dualsports firinging up)!

Life is good!

The Salty Dog is more fun the humans should be allowed to have. \When you get there you'll just begin to understand.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 08:37 PM
Old 11-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #247
Kedgi OP
Banned

Lorna

Darn it Lorna..... I forgot to get your picture too!

(she's the owner of the Salty Dog)

She rocks!

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-08-2012 at 07:20 AM
Old 11-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #248
Kedgi OP
Banned

Kawaski Called

UPS is supposed to have my tires at Cycle Plaza Kawasaki, in Corpus, tomorrow by noon. I have a 1PM appointment. Brett at Cycle Plaza has done everything he can to keep me moving. Cheers Brett!

I'm going to miss Port A, What an awesome place
Old 11-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #249
Kedgi OP
Banned

Friendly place

What a great place this is. My friend Tim called this morning and took me out to breakfast and as soon as I got back to the motel my buddy, Jody dropped by to say good bye. I love Port Aransas. Genuine, friendly people. I have only been here since Sunday and I feel like I belong.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #250
Kedgi OP
Banned

One more night

I have decided to stay one more night in Port A. I figure by the time I get my tires installed, an oil and filter etc it will be too late to make it to Eagle Pass and I'll just have to spend another night no where, so I'm going to stay here and get an early start tomorrow
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #251
BluNozr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
[QUOTE=SS in Vzla.;19991751FWIW, Bogota or Medellin are good places where you can easily find cheap tires (more expensive than in the US though). Let me know if you need addresses and/or GPS waypoints .

Ride safe. Buen viaje[/QUOTE]

LOL! Hey Kedgi, you're in good hands. He knows his stuff in South America. Silviu is better then a travel agent when it comes to all things south of Panama. My ADVrider suggestion is for SS in Vzla to change his handle to Allstate.

Nice RR.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:38 PM   #252
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
I agree with staying another night. I don't think I would want to be driving towards eagle pass at night. Doesn't sound like fun!!!
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #253
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 799
Well, I almost caught up to you, Kedg. Got to PCB today and just love it. Craigslist provided me with a furnished bach pad for $850/month. Thats about $29 a day and way cheaper than what I was paying for camping down south. This morn was cold but the sunset was spectacular. So I'm officially stopped for at least a month. Sorry we missed.
Toad
Old 11-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #254
scrappyscooter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post
Well, I almost caught up to you, Kedg. Got to PCB today and just love it. Craigslist provided me with a furnished bach pad for $850/month. Thats about $29 a day and way cheaper than what I was paying for camping down south. This morn was cold but the sunset was spectacular. So I'm officially stopped for at least a month. Sorry we missed.
Toad
Very nice!
scrappyscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:19 AM   #255
Kedgi OP
Banned

Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluNozr View Post
LOL! Hey Kedgi, you're in good hands. He knows his stuff in South America. Silviu is better then a travel agent when it comes to all things south of Panama. My ADVrider suggestion is for SS in Vzla to change his handle to Allstate.

Nice RR.
ADVrider is an awesome resource. I will take all the help I'm offered.

I am getting ready to go to breakfast with my friend Jody who I met election night. Then I'm out of here headed for McAllen in a wicked wind. 45mph gusts and 91 degrees today. I am a Canadian, melting like a popsicle.