User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #286
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Customs

Customs took a long while. Language barrier and I think one of the big hold ups which was finally sorted by a kind bilingual traveller was that Shediac is the City and New Brunswick is the "State"

After several photcopies. I had some but not enough because I stupidly left my registration photocopies in the tank bag on the bike and it was easier to just get copies instead of running back out there.

Then the Customs to Migracion to Bancjicito (sp) shuffle and back to Customs and Migration for a stamp I was free. Free with a cool new hologram to put on my windshield which I forgot to take a picture of. I paid a $400 deposit which I'll get back when I export the bike and cancel it's Temporary Import Permit. All in all it was painless and kinda fun. I actually had a few laughs with them and that's thanks to my fellow traveler's translation abilities.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 06:32 AM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:39 PM   #287
Kedgi OP
Banned

First Mistake in Mexico

I had looked at Google Maps last night and I knew that I had to ride a way, turn right on Ruta 2 and that would lead me to Ruta 40

I soon saw a sign to Monterrey, which was pointing straigh ahead and I knw that was the general direction I wanted but simulaneously my GPS said Ruta 40 was on the right. I turned right. I went a few blocks and a white pickup that said some kind of Police like Parks Police or some thing on the door came out of a side street on my left and almost cut me off. I went by him and then he gave a blast on the "barker type siren like fire trucks have and I looked behind me thinking I'm going to get stopped by the cops my first 5 minutes in Mexico, then I saw it three lanes of traffic all coming my way. Somehow I was going the wrong way down a one way street!

So THATS what the cop in the truck was trying to save me from. I don't know how I did it. The street was two way when I started down it. I must have missed a mandatory turn sign. I reversed direction with a few guys in an automotive shop getting a chuckle out of my mistake and I went back and found the sign for Monterrey I had seen and followed it. Huge blvd with a distinct third world feel, smokey cars, lots of litter, vacant lots, repair shops tons of traffic and I was loving it. I had ridden into Mexico.

It evntually turned into Ruta 40 and I rode about 20 miles before I hit my first police check point. No Pictures of these guys!

They checked my passport and the paperwork that backs up my windshield sticker and let me go. There was a Seven Eleven right there on the roadside. I stopped and got a Coke. I figured with all the cops around it was a good place to stop.

I met "Peter" who washed my windshield and helmet visor with dirty water for a few pesos. He was a very nice young guy. He was so formal. he introduced me to everyone working at 7-11 I noticed he had a shirt on with the French Flag and I jokingly asked him in French if he spoke French. He sure does. He lived in France. What a surprise!

Here's Peter, but I betting his name is really Pedro

(Sorry I'm uploading this in sections but the internet in this part of the hotel is weak and I don't want to lose a long posting)
Old 11-13-2012, 06:50 PM   #288
Kedgi OP
Banned

Fun

Peter made my stop fun. While I had my Coke he ran across the lot and told a group making tacos there that I had ridden from Canada, they were all waving to me. I was having fun!

I continued on Ruta 40, It splits into a toll road and a free road (Libre) that parallel each other. I took the Libre. It is two lane blacktop in good condition. I caught a glimpse of the tolls road. It was brand new pavement resembling a new Interstate. Tolls here are very expensive, or so I've read courtesy of other inmates, so I was happy on the free road.

I'll bet I'm one of the few Canadian riders who has made it to Mexico and had his heated grips on and his winter liner in his jacket. It was cool. I'm guessing 62 degrees in a North wind of about 15 kts.

I passed through a few little towns and finally made a turn at China, MX toward Montemorelos. Traffic disappeared, the road opened up, gained paved shoulders and white painted cattle fences and ran across open country. I was a little freaked by the complete lack of traffic. I mean nothing, I'll bet I rode 20 minutes at one stretch without seeing an other vehicle. I was starting to wonder if everyone else knew something I didn't. Guess Not. It was all good.

As you approach Montemorelos you ride into this beautiful valley full of orange groves and in the distance you begin to see a huge mountain range. The valley is irrigated, very green compared to the ride from Reynosa.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 06:35 AM
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #289
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,178
Kedgi you are going to have more fun down there than you ever imagined. Ride well, be safe. Read JDowns RR for great routes through the mountains. Saludos, JIm
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #290
Kedgi OP
Banned

Montemorelos

I made a quick stop in Montemorelos at a Pemex gas station. To check and see how much further it was to Linares, my intended destination. In need to get my glasses out to see my map.

I snapped this picture from the gas station parking lot of a huge statute a crosses on a hill

Even though it was already 3PM thanks to my 2 hours at Customs I pushed on for Linares. I got here in good time to find a place to stay and get a bite to eat, before dark.

I stopped to take a break when I got into Linares in front of a big grocery store. I saw 4 guys lokking at my bike from a distance. hell everyone was looking at the Old Gringo on the big bike. I smiled their way and pointed to my Canadian Flag on the back of my panniers. They seemed to understand I was telling them I was approachable. They came right over and started to ask me a bunch of questions about me, where I came from, the bike, it was fun. They were very polite and again they introduced themselves. It was awesome.

One gent wanted his picture with my bike and tried to sit on it side saddle which compressed the heavily loaded suspension enough the bike almost fell over. The kickstands are too high on KLR's Poor Guy!, was he ever embarrassed. I grabbed the bars and held the bike up It was no real problem and he got his picture, on his cell phone, albeit with a slightly red face.

Here are the guys. We had a fun time trying to talk to one another.

Ooops I just realized i am a little ahead of myself.

Lets got back to Montemorelos for a second. Just after I left the Pemex there stopped again for a second to shoot this shot of the beautiful Mountains I had been riding beside.

Now back in Linares after meeting the Quatro Amigos. I looked for a hotel. I have Sjoerd Bakker's book economical hotels in Mexico and I had looked at it the night before. He has a spot listed in Linares. I don't know why I didn't write it down and stick it in my tankbag but I didn't. The book was buried deep in my luggage so I just rode around looking for a hotel and the only one I saw was the Hotel Real. Turns out it's a nice hotel and I'm sure it's expensive by Mexican standards. I was beat and I stopped. A hotel like this would likely be $200 anywhere in the USA or Canada. It has a feel for a bygone era but is in wonderful condition. It even smells like flowers when you walk in the door. Wide hallways, an atrium, a restaurant and a bar. I parked the bike right outside the front door. The guy at reception speaks some English and he assured me the bike would be fine there.

Here a look at the beautiful Hotel Real (by the way I saw a sign for the hotel zone and I followed it for a while and never did see any other hotels and ended up in a sort of seedy industrial area) I was happy when i found this place.

The atruim

Outside with the trusty KLR in front

My room

All for less than a Motel 6, and it has free wireless Internet
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #291
Kedgi OP
Banned

Supper and Linares

I was starving. I went looking for something to eat. I found a little Taco Shop and I had this wonderful meal of tacos and fried potatoes (among the best fried potatoes I've ever had) complete with a Coke for about $2.75

Here's the little restaurant and the cook.

While I was looking around for a restaurant I shot these few street scenes and buildings jsut to give you a feel for Linares, MX

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 08:01 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #292
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cathedral and Cops

I had noticed I was near the Cathedral when I was walking around looking for the restaurant. After supper I walked down to the Cathedral which is on a generous and inviting town square.

Then I saw these guys and I knew it was time to go back to the hotel

Back at the hotel I had to ask at the front desk to find their bar. I knew they had one from the sign outside

It's a walk through the restaurant, and in the back type of bar, I guess for privacy. It's a very nice old bar. I watched the news in Spanish and I had two Indios. for $1.50 each. It's a nice dark beer something like a Newcastle Brown

Then I headed back to the room to bring you up to date on the ride.

I hope you're enjoying it!

Good Night!

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 08:03 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #293
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Kedgi you are going to have more fun down there than you ever imagined. Ride well, be safe. Read JDowns RR for great routes through the mountains. Saludos, JIm
No Doubt

I have been reading John's excellent report and he and I have been in touch and hope to meet up at some point.

(others, if you've missed it. read John's report. It's awesome)

Thanks Jimmex
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM   #294
dbmet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Glad you made it across!! Safe travels!!
dbmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #295
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmet View Post
Glad you made it across!! Safe travels!!
I'm glad today's over. Stressful crossing the Mexican border for the first time by yourself, but it was all good. Weird to be riding with heated grips on here. The weather is supposed to hit 68 here tomorrow and 72 down near Ciudad Victoria

Not sure where I'm headed next. I think about that tomorrow
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #296
MikeinSA

Oddometer: 3,669
Hey Kedgi,
I don't follow a lot of ride reports but I seem to be hooked on this one. I know what a pain it is to find the time to post. I hope you keep it up, you're doing a great job. And your attitude is fantastic!
Ride safe,
Mike
MikeinSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #297
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinSA View Post
Hey Kedgi,
I don't follow a lot of ride reports but I seem to be hooked on this one. I know what a pain it is to find the time to post. I hope you keep it up, you're doing a great job. And your attitude is fantastic!
Ride safe,
Mike
Thanks Mike

It felt great to be mobile again today. I have fun when I'm waiting, but not nearly as much fun as I do when I'm riding. Glad you're aboard!

I don't mind posting too much. It's posting or Spanish TV tonight. I've got it on for background noise and I try and pick out a few words. Man they talk FAST! The girl doing the News tonight, Wow could she ever spit out the words. Then I watched a movie where they were arguing. Lightspeed!

Today was stressful 'cause of the jitters, but cool! Dream come true stuff!

Kedgi
Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #298
Kedgi OP
Banned

Eh? Rain

haha

This morning I woke up and turned on the TV and "watched" the weather in Spanish. I guess I didn't pick much up because I was surprised when I went outside to find out it was raining or at least drizzling. I'm going to have to rely on the internet weather in English for a while I guess. I walked down the street to the nearest OXXO store and got a coffee. OXXO is everywhere, they are the Mexican equivalent of 7-11.

My internet didn't want to work in my room this morning so I'm in the Lobby drinking my coffee, checking the weather, updating my Ride Report and figuring out what's next. I'm a multitasker.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:09 AM   #299
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,186
Mexico Headed South

I love a "Reality Adventure Ride" keep it coming Dwight.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #300
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thumb Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
I love a "Reality Adventure Ride" keep it coming Dwight.
Thanks