Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 PM   #421
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by novaboy View Post
Hey Dwight,

Absolutely lovin' your RR, Zipolite looks like paradise, I've just made it one of my bucket list places to go hang out.

Where you a low level or high level guy at YQM? I flew a Dash with Air Nova for a longtime, now I'm flying the Falcon 2000 and Citation 680 for the Irving Air Force, we may have spoke to each other. Mike Oxner is a friend of mine in QM, I did a ride with him and few more ATC guys a couple of years ago.

Safe travels, looking forward to more great pictures and words.

Nice to hear from you. I was a Halifax Terminal guy and a former Gander High Level and Oceanic Controller. Glad I did it, even more glad I don't do it anymore. I should know Mike, I know the name. I was in Moncton Centre for about two years when they moved Halifax Terminal into Moncton. There were so many guys there I never met them all and now some of the names sound familiar but I left there so long ago....I have a good memory, it's just short.

No doubt we've likely spoken before. Thanks for following along!

It's great to have a bit of mail tonight. Only one English Channel on TV and it's a horror movie. Not my thing.

You may know a good friend of mine, who been a pilot around the Maritimes for many years. Jack Parlee.

Glad you're along for the ride.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:29 PM
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #422
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Two years ago I made an error of circling Lake Superior in October. When a cold front greeted me at Thunder Bay and left ice on my Suzuki Bandit I knew why southern people should not go to Canada in the Fall. I could not wait to turn the corner and get myself back to the Warmer South.
Enjoying your report and pictures. I always wondered how a guy that knows no Spanish and even trying to take lessons , forgets words in a few hours. Would get along in Mexico or even further south.
Keep it coming and hang tuff.
Haha you know what happens to me all the time. Is I go in a store or something and I get my Coke or chips or what ever I want and then they try and talk to me. I muddle through with answers the best I can. Some I've looked up, some I've just learned.

There was a nice girl in a store tonight just as i pulled into town, She asked about my trip etc and she asked and a lot of people do, about my Go-Pro. The Spanish word for Camera seems to be Camera. Then they are puzzled by what you would film. I did the charades for twisty roads, and it was only after I got outside that I realizes I know the Spanish for that, Camino Sinuoso. You see it all the time down here on warning signs. I'll know next time. I am learning a bit each day.

Thunder Bay in October is cutting the weather pretty fine! I would love to do that ride.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:29 PM   #423
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 170
The Great Lakes in October, you gotta count on some pretty cold and windy riding!! Good on ya though brother. I was just on the Tibetan Plateau, Sichuan province China, that was cold and windy
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:33 PM   #424
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
The Great Lakes in October, you gotta count on some pretty cold and windy riding!! Good on ya though brother. I was just on the Tibetan Plateau, Sichuan province China, that was cold and windy

Today the Plateau leading into Arriaga was HOT and windy.

Kedgi
Old 11-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #425
SavannahCapt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Looks as if you are making some real progress after finally getting out of Texas. I'm really enjoying keeping up with your great adventure. be safe and thanks for posting.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #426
Kedgi OP
Banned

Ziplolite to Arriaga

It was incredibly tough to leave Zipolite this morning. Loved the place. Even the little dog Simba didn't want me to leave. I sure made a good friend in Andreas. What a great guy.

Yesterday I spent the day with Jason, my Alaska friend, poor Marshall was still sick. He's been kind of down and out for 7 days.

Jason and I had a lunch on the beach, I had some great homemade french fries. I'm tired of spicy food. I kill for a plain hamburger patty and some boiled potatoes with sour cream

While we were there we met this great Guy, Jimmy

He spends a lot of his time playing Chess on the beach. But he also teaches English and Chess to the local kids as well, on his own time. He told us the story that many years ago, like when he was 20, he saw a movie about a guy that ended up being a beach bum and was happy. He said he can't even remember the name of the movie, now, but at that time he decided he could be happy doing that and he took the steps to make it happy. He said he has found a home where he is accepted and has many friends and he cherishes it. He said teaching the kids is just one of the ways he tries to give back to a community he loves.

Then.after a few beers and some nice conversation with Jimmy we made our way down the beach to our favorite bar, The Colibri (Hummingbird)
Where we watched this great sunset

I remembered to take a picture of Kevin who owns the bar with his wife Hilda who's picture I posted earlier

Kevin told me he has seen Moto's pass through Zipolite before, but he's never seen four guys all hit town at the same time that are not traveling together. It was fun the meet the Montreal and Idaho riders.

Kevin said the Colibri has a substantial Facebook following and he said he would put a link to my Ridereport on his facebook page. How nice is that!!!

I said I would be sure to tell all my readers what a great spot he an Hilda have.Now you gotta ride down and have a beer.

And I got a picture of Louis, one of the waiters who has a wonderful infectious laugh and is a great guy from Mirabel Quebec. I really enjoyed meeting Louis

Right after sunset Jason and I headed back to the Samastro, our wonderful hotel, and spent a great evening with Marshall, Andreas and Tomasa. The last night in Zipolite was another good one.

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:28 PM
Old 11-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #427
Kedgi OP
Banned

Zipolite to Arriaga

Today. I got going early, poor little Simba didn't want me to go. When she saw me all packed with my gear on she came running right over and put her paw up on my knee.

I gave Andeas a hug and my last words to him as I rode away were Adios Amigo.

When you leave Zipolite for Huatulco it's pretty twisty and hard to make time. You have to ride at about 80kph or 50mph just in case. You never know what's going to "Pop" up on a Mexican road.

When you look on the map there is not a lot along that shore. I asked the GPS for gas stations as I was going by the entrance to Huatulco and the only ones it could find were in that town. I went in to get gas and go to a bank machine. They are kind or rare to, but the have them in Huatulco for all the tourists who fly in the stay at the big resorts. There are some pretty fancy places there, but I'll bet they are not $8/night and I'll bet they don't come with a dog and cat.

I saw these two guys in town after I bought gas.

They liked my bike and I told them what they wanted to know about it, at least i think I did. They seemed to go away satisfied. The one fellow said "Bonito" as he stared at the bike.

I like their load of pineapples, did they ever smell good.

After I met the Pineapple guys I met this nice Mexican couple from Puebla who have a vacation spot in Huatulco.

Jose and I believe she said here name was Sol

Jose knew where New Brunswick is!!!! In fact he's ridden across Canada on a Honda 250. How cool is that? He told me the bike is in storage in Quebec and he's going up to get it in the Spring and ride it to Texas.

Jose told me he used to be the equivanlt of an American Congressman in the Mexican system. He immediately offered me breakfast and a place to stay at his house. Wow! What a nice offer. I declined only because I had to make miles today. I would have loved to have seen his place. I hope he gets in touch with me whaen he comes to Canada. He gave me his information in case I need anything in Mexico, Cool!

after Huatulco i made a bunch of miles and at KM380 as advised by Jose, I headed north from the coast on a toll road. First toll road I've taken down here and the toll wasn't too bad. 15 pesos for bike 27 for cars.

I rode too far up that toll road. I went to KM51 and stopped at this little tienda for a Gatorade. It was hot and getting windy.

I took this picture there because I noticed the Spanish use the same word for furnishings and the French do. Muebles

It studied my map in the shade and that's when I discovered my mistake. I should have turned at KM23. Rat's my bad, trying too hard to make time. So I rode back, made the turn and immediately got lost again. This time it was thanks to poor signage, Rte 190 which I was supposed to be following and I have ridden a lot of 190 just seemed to disappear. I went back and forth through a town three or four times looking for where I had missed a turn, but in the end the GPS helped convince me route 190 was gone. Turns out it wasn't its just combined with route 185 and they don't have signs to indicate that, at least not for about 60 miles or more. In all I wasted over an hour or more just trying to figure out where I was going..

I almost forgot to mention seeing this little guy when I stopped for a coke somewhere between Huatulco and the toll road. His little cage was hanging under a tree by the table where I sat. He looked pretty interested in nthe English words I said to him. He's probably never heard them before.

I saw a lot more security today. I was stopped at three separate Army checkpoints. No problem, they just look in your bags and try and ask you some questions, Then I say "picito Espanol" (I only have a little Spanish) and then they give up and ask about the bike. Most of them are young guys doing a job I wouldn't want and I respect them and have been treated with respect by all of them.

When I figured out my route or at least figured out I could reach Arriaga, where ever it may be, I'm here but not really sure where here is yet, I still have to do some planning for tomorrow, I tried to boogie, but the wind across the palins was raging, it's still howling tonight. What a tiring ride.

I stopped for more gas at one point and across the parking lot was a Burger King. I never go to Burger King at home but I jumped at the chance for a whopper and fries here. I am just a plain eater. Not a fan of spicy food at the best of times and I enjoyed my burger. I didn't have any supper tonight so I'm glad I had that. I got to town just as it was getting dark and I didn't walk around here after dark.

Here is a look at the evidence of the strength of the wind on this plane. I have heard it is one of the windiest places in the world. There are untold thousands of windmills. I could barely hold the bike up when I stopped to take these photos

I got into town finally and I had had a look at Soejrd Bakkers book for advice on Hotels and sure enough he has a couple places listed here too. When I turned off the highway at a sign that pointed to Centro, the centre of town never became obvious. I saw a couple guys fixing a bike so I asked them in Spanish for directions to the hotel Panamerico. I either screwed up or they told me wrong but I never found the place so I rode around a bit looking for a spot and that's when I saw a rail sding full of boxcars each with about 100 people on top waiting to hitch a ride. It was getting dark so I just road around looking for a suitable Hotel. I was too beat and not anxious to stop and pull stuff out of my tank bag to look at Seojrd's directions and try and figure out where I was. I stubled over the Hotel Chiapas, with secure parking, private bath, flat screen TV and airconditioning. This place has WiFI and is really up to American standards and it $285pesos or about $23 dollars. I was glad to get out of the wind and I jumped at it.

This bed is going to be great tonight

Good Night!

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-25-2012 at 09:27 PM
Old 11-25-2012, 08:04 PM   #428
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Looks as if you are making some real progress after finally getting out of Texas. I'm really enjoying keeping up with your great adventure. be safe and thanks for posting.
Thank you for reading and welcome aboard.

Kedgi
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 AM   #429
love/hate it
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Heat, what heat?

Following along on your RR, the heat you talk about would be so welcome back in the Maritimes. Looks like you may have found Heaven on Earth. Managed to Super Tenere the Cabot Trail on Friday....temps. from 5 to 10 deg. C, positively balmy for this time of year. Almost no traffic on the Trail, but lots of salt (ugh). Thinking about the weather you left behind at home might make it easier to endure some of the heat you have mentioned. Keep them reports coming, they make a great start to the day.
love/hate it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:22 AM   #430
Sawdoc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
PayPal Link

Hi Kedgi

Great Ride Report, and say, your adventure kept me thinking of things other than business while spending the last few weeks in Germany .. perfect to follow along with, great writing and love the pictures

So, i think it is time to buy you a beer or maybe even more , but, i suggest you post your PayPal link again. It may just help with new readers of the report.

Stay safe and keep up the great work, i think most of the New Brunswick ADV Riders are along with you !

This is also where most people write something insightful ......
Sawdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:32 AM   #431
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by love/hate it View Post
Following along on your RR, the heat you talk about would be so welcome back in the Maritimes. Looks like you may have found Heaven on Earth. Managed to Super Tenere the Cabot Trail on Friday....temps. from 5 to 10 deg. C, positively balmy for this time of year. Almost no traffic on the Trail, but lots of salt (ugh). Thinking about the weather you left behind at home might make it easier to endure some of the heat you have mentioned. Keep them reports coming, they make a great start to the day.
Thanks Steve and thanks for you generous donation to my PayPal link for this ride report. I appreciate it.

Don't rust that bike out before I get to see. It.

Dwight
Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #432
Kedgi OP
Banned

NB ADV Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdoc View Post
Hi Kedgi

Great Ride Report, and say, your adventure kept me thinking of things other than business while spending the last few weeks in Germany .. perfect to follow along with, great writing and love the pictures

So, i think it is time to buy you a beer or maybe even more , but, i suggest you post your PayPal link again. It may just help with new readers of the report.

Stay safe and keep up the great work, i think most of the New Brunswick ADV Riders are along with you !
I will post the link again and thanks to all of you guys for following along. This would be a very lonely ride indeed without reader input.

I have got to get out of here. Today's the last day for my Mexican Moto Insurance. I'm 250k from Guatemala and the wind is blowing like crazy, like our worst Winter Storms in the maritimes. But It's sunny and Hot. ......Weird.

Last night after my first hot water shower in a week and in Air Conditioning, I slept!

Gotta get under way. I'm really looking forward to meeting the guys at the Moto Cafe in Antigua, Guatemala tomorrow. It's 500k from here. With the border, I'll never make it in one day.

Kedgi
Old 11-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #433
Kedgi OP
Banned

PayPal

There are a couple links to my PayPal site a little bit further back in this report. One of them, the second one works. If you want to buy me a beer or a tank of gas, etc. you can.

I will create a new link but I don't have time this morning.

Gotta hit the trail. Wish me luck.

Talk to you from Guatemala
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 AM   #434
Catours
Guatemala Tourer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Gotta get under way. I'm really looking forward to meeting the guys at the Moto Cafe in Antigua, Guatemala tomorrow. It's 500k from here. With the border, I'll never make it in one day.

Kedgi
Safe travels Kedgi, let us know if you need any route info once you're here in Guatemala.

See you soon

Chris
Marketing Guide, CATours
info@catours.co.uk
CATours Website
CATours Facebook
Our TripAdvisor page
Our Twitter page
Catours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:23 AM   #435
newhoco
stromnambulator

Oddometer: 43
It's -5c here in the northern wastes , so I'm envious of your warm winds and twisty roads , not to mention pints on the beach with new friends .
I placed my order for a Russell-day-long seat for my Vstrom last night , so I WILL be following your tire tracks next year !
Alex
newhoco is offline   Reply With Quote