Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #451
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I have been following your report closely, and "listening and learning". I understand if you don't want to continue posting. It is a lot of work.

Your experiences, your description of places you go; they all are enabling for those of us, including me, who will be following in your tracks. It's your trip, and your RR. Do push on to get out of the temporary funk. Good vibes coming your way!

Thanks for the kind words

I'm over it now, was just incredibly frustrated at the time. I smiled through it all and I even took the "helpers" pictures because I dam well knew I was being taken at the time but was powerless to stop it. I'll post their "mugs" later

I cannot figure out why a country like Guatemala that could certainly use tourist dollars would let that mess go on at their border. I could clean that up in one day, given the authority.

Dwight
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #452
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
I have been following your report closely, and "listening and learning". I understand if you don't want to continue posting. It is a lot of work.

Your experiences, your description of places you go; they all are enabling for those of us, including me, who will be following in your tracks. It's your trip, and your RR. Do push on to get out of the temporary funk. Good vibes coming your way!
Thanks for your kind words.

I'll keep posting. Just a very frustrating couple of days. I'll recover

Kedgi
Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #453
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:

Thanks Mike for your kind words.

I was just really frustrated with the "process" and the helpless feeling

Dwight
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #454
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:

Thank Mike for you kind words and for following along. I was jsut really frustated by everything that went wrong.

Kedgi
Old 11-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #455
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:

Thank Mike for you kind words and for following along. I was just really frustrated by everything that went wrong. You feel ganged up on when you hit that border. The guys that fleeced me were just a couple of dozens and dozens that are all there swarming on you. My theory was if you pick one the rest will leave you alone. That is true. I'd love to be fluent in Spanish and just tell them all to...well you can guess

Kedgi
Old 11-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #456
Kedgi OP
Banned

Support

I have tried to reply individually to all your messages this morning and i get a database error when I try.

I just want to say I've chalked it up to a couple of really bad days, which i know will happen on a ride like this and I want to thank you all for your kind words.

Kedgi
Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #457
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:

Thanks for the kind words Mike, Glad you're reading

I'll get over it

Kedgi
Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #458
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwpaul View Post
john was right you were taken at the border but as he said use it as experience, keep doing the RR, just make notes on a bit of paper or on a word document on your computer, from here on out just report when you can, do not feel obliged to write about everyday just bundle them together, wifi here is hit and miss at best, once you get on the stahlratte i show you a few things to make you life easier doing it

go back over my ride report and look at the detailed border crossing info i have done for you an other heading south to make your life easier, try an stay away from the pan am crossings whenever possible as they are all a joke

see you in 10 days when we can have a beer and laugh about it
Thanks Paul

I appreciate you experience and encouragement.

I feel better now I have downloaded new Central American Maps to my GPS and done some chillin'

I'll be fine. You have to have a couple bad days so you know when you're having a good day.

Kedgi
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM   #459
Kedgi OP
Banned

Border Helpers

Here are my favorite Border "Helpers"

Stay far away from these clowns

I knew I had been taken when I took this picture. I took it for all of you

Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #460
SS in Vzla.
Totally Normal? I'm not!

Oddometer: 1,149
Hi Kedgi.
I'm sorry to hear about the bad times you went through. There will always be bad times during a long trip. The good news is there's more good times to be had than bad ones. As you might have found out already, things are done differently in Third World countries than what you are used to... the key is to relax and NEVER expect things will work the way you are used to in your own country.... If your expectations are really low, you'll be pleasantly surprised when things actually go better Think about it: what happens if the border crossing (or something else) takes a couple more hours out of a six month + adventure?

Regarding border crossings, Central America is (in)famous for the bureaucratic PITA and lack of organization, specially if you don't speak the language... But look at it this way: you stepped in it from the deep side, so the learning curve is enhanced... once you get to South America, the borders will be easier (still not what you might be used to in US/Canada border though).

If you have the time, go read RTWPaul's RR. He details every border crossing with great pictures and even notes on every picture so you know what to do and which building is where.

Bottom line: you DO NOT need helpers anywhere and fees will never be so high ($90 WTF) unless you need to pay for a visa... BEFORE paying, ask if they will issue a receipt... If they say no, it's a scam.... BUT, sometimes officials are in on the scam and if you play too tough, you might end up staying at the border for a long time, so you need to use your judgement...Sometimes it is necessary to grease the wheels, but $5 to $10 should do it.... Before people start jumping on me, re-read the first line on this paragraph.... I'm not suggesting you go out bribing people and getting helpers, I'm just telling you how we do things in most (most) Latin American countries.

As for problems with the language: "Carretera" menas "road".... It does not matter if it is paved or not... Sometimes it might even be a two track trail.... When someone refers to the "carretera" they are referring to the "main" communication channel in the area... so just look for the most traffic if you don't understand anything else they tell you.

ATM = Automatic Teller Machine.... "Cajero" (pronounced cahero) = "Cashier" and comes from Cajero Automatico (Automatic Cashier...which in turn is very similar to Automatic Teller)... I don't know the words in your guide for an ATM, but "cajero automatico" would be how I would ask for one anywhere in Latin America.

One more thing about directions in poor countries. Please keep in mind most "accessible" people you'll find while on the road (by accessible I mean someone you can easily approach to ask directions, somebody who is probably walking or standing) have a very low income and thus cannot afford a car or even a small Chinese bike. What these means is that their universe is reduced to where they can get to on foot, on a bicycle or maybe on horse/mule/donkey and thus, even if they are only 200Kms away (or 100 or even 50) they might not know the way to a city because either they haven't gone there or they have taken the chicken bus and never payed attention to where the driver was going. Add that to an uneducated person hearing a strange accent with words that are not pronounced correctly and I guess you can connect the dots. It's nothing personal, people would like to help, most times they have less information than the lost (temporarily disoriented ) rider...

Hope this helps a little.

Oh, and regarding the posts on your RR. They have been great. Very detailed... But from know on you will have fewer access to wifi connections and updating takes time out of enjoying your trip (some people enjoy the posting, some not so much)... may I suggest you keep posting, but less detailed and only when you feel like it.... Don't let it become a chore... It's part of the fun, a "tool" that allows you to be connected with other ADVRiders along the way and a "tool" for you to remember the trip once its over.

Ride on. Have Fun
Buen Viaje!!
Old 11-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #461
DHC-2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hi Kedgi,

I've been following along, really enjoying your report. From a fellow maritimer who grew up not far from you, you're not alone! I had the same experience in Guatemala, and once in Nicaragua. Then looked down the barrel of an assault rifle not far from Managua held by a police officer who demanded cash after I asked for directions I probably would have gotten back on the next plane if it hadn't been for my experienced travel partner...now wife. Glad I stayed, Nicaragua turned out to be my favorite country of all central america and I look forward to visiting again.
No need to respond, put your efforts into the next installment of your ride report, we`re all waiting impatiently!
Highly recommend Tikal...

Byron
DHC-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #462
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Dwight:

I get frustrated easily too, so I can completely relate to what you have experienced. But I do hope that you do end up writing a report or two, once in a while so we know that you are okay.

Often I would write my blog entries on a word .doc and later use the cut and paste method. Then you could write "off line" and then publish when you have WiFi. I know, easier said than done. I wish you would set up a PayPal link on Blogger just like John Downs so we could keep you rolling

I know I would be missing the way you express yourself and your wonderful photos

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #463
newhoco
stromnambulator

Oddometer: 41
[QUOTE=bESS;20

I know I would be missing the way you express yourself and your wonderful photos

bob[/QUOTE]

My sentiments exactly....

Alex
newhoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:48 PM   #464
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks to All

Thanks to all for your words of encouragement and support.

I spent a day here getting ready for tomorrow, got Central American maps in my GPS now. My bank card works, I had a couple really good meals of the plain stuff I like at an Irish Bar named Rileys. Walked all over town today and shot a few pictures. It's all good now. It's behind me.

Nobody likes being robbed, which is basically what happened, and compounded by my lack of funds, no food, a long ride with no GPS the heat, the PayPal issue, I was over the top. Your stress level, or at least mine can be very high at the best of times at these borders. It's hard to describe the masses cling on you as you ride up.

Chris from the Moto Cafe has been absolutely excellent, a great help. He and I went over a suggested routing as far as Costa Rica so now I have a plan.

Kedgi

Kedgi screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 02:54 PM
Old 11-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #465
Kedgi OP
Banned

Helpers

These two clowns were my "helpers"

I knew I was being taken but could do nothing about it so I said "thanks for all your help guys, just so you guys could see these characters

That's Victor on the right, with his "brother"