User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #541
DrydenRider
Sun Seeker

Oddometer: 1,785
Just saw this on Face book about your friend Stephanie

Sooo only 20 miles from her final destination Steph has been hit by a car. I just talked to her and she does not remember a thing. She is in a small hospital but they are transferring her to a bigger one to get a scan because she has a large swelling on the side of her head, cuts and road rash. She has no idea where her bike and equipment are. Typical of Steph she insists she is just fine and wants to find her bike so she can finish the journey..She has always been a tuff nut.. will keep you updated...
DrydenRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM   #542
newhoco
stromnambulator

Oddometer: 47
Hey , Kedgi ,
Am following along with great interest .
My 650 Vstrom is hibernating in the basement , stripped of her fairings , to facilitate new brake lines , etc .It's now about
-5c here , freezing rain , and I'm waiting up till my daughter gets home from the Taylor Swift concert .
Have you re-instated your paypal ? I'd love to buy you a beer or six ....
Alex
newhoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #543
Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
PayPal

Thanks for asking about my PayPal

I posted a while ago that rather than post it again I had decided to try and help my friend Stephanie raise money for a Learning Center in her small community of Little Corn Island Nicaragua.

Steph cycled, and I mean bicycled from Calgary Alberta, Canada to Nicaragua, over 10,000 k solo for her cause. She is driven to help others.

Sadly, I learned this morning, that 20 miles from her final destination she was struck by a car. Rather than send a donation to me I would love to see my readers donate to Steph's cause. There is no doubt in my mind this young lady will do far more good with the money than I ever could.

From what I've been told Steph is alright but has been sent to hospital for a scan on a large lump on her head and she has some road rash. She cannot find her bike and equipment because she can't remember what happened.

Please help Steph if you can

here is a link to her blog

http://stephgoescyclingforacause.blogspot.ca/

Thanks to all in advance

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #544
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
Thanks for asking about my PayPal

I posted a while ago that rather than post it again I had decided to try and help my friend Stephanie raise money for a Learning Center in her small community of Little Corn Island Nicaragua.

Steph cycled, and I mean bicycled from Calgary Alberta, Canada to Nicaragua, over 10,000 k solo for her cause. She is driven to help others.

Sadly, I learned this morning, that 20 miles from her final destination she was struck by a car. Rather than send a donation to me I would love to see my readers donate to Steph's cause. There is no doubt in my mind this young lady will do far more good with the money than I ever could.

From what I've been told Steph is alright but has been sent to hospital for a scan on a large lump on her head and she has some road rash. She cannot find her bike and equipment because she can't remember what happened.

Please help Steph if you can

here is a link to her blog

Thanks to all in advance

Kedgi

Hi Kedgi,

I just sent a donation to Steph (meant to do that for a while now). Hope she'll be all right with a quick recovery. Thanks for posting her link here. I might even go up to Little Corn Island to say hello at some point, and and check out the diving. Now that I have my paypal account set up, I'm hoping to find your own link to send some beer/gas $$$ your way to keep you on the road, while I'm enjoying your RR!

I've been following a few RRs (yours, Ulyses, JDowns, etc) with great interest, and was kindda looking forward to meet you guys while passing thru Costa Rica whenever possible, however there seems to be a common pattern among riders heading South: get a good head start in the States, spend some time exploring/relaxing in Mexico & Guatemala, and then rush thru Nicaragua/Costa Rica to get to Panama for a boat/flight bookings. A little unfortunate, but I do get the deadline thing. Too bad that the Panama/Colombia ferry never came alive as promised last year! Perhaps I'll have a better luck with JDowns based on his pace so far!

My buddy who did Toronto to SA last year spent almost 1 month in Medellin, and loved Colombia in general. I'm hoping to get down there in the next year. Enjoy South America and keep posting whenever possible pls!
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #545
QCRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Which way across Costa Rica...

Meant to ask you.. which way did you take to go across Costa Rica?

I think I recall you mentioned something about San Jose traffic being bad. Did you follow Hwy 1 and 2 (ie. PanAm), which would have taken you thru San Jose? Or did you follow the coast line via Hwy 1 / 34 / 2 ? Hope you did the latter as it's much faster than the PanAm way to cross CR border to border.
QCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #546
Kedgi OP
Banned

Sorry I missed you. I really blasted through Costa Rica trying to make my reservation

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
Hi Kedgi,

I just sent a donation to Steph (meant to do that for a while now). Hope she'll be all right with a quick recovery. Thanks for posting her link here. I might even go up to Little Corn Island to say hello at some point, and and check out the diving. Now that I have my paypal account set up, I'm hoping to find your own link to send some beer/gas $$$ your way to keep you on the road, while I'm enjoying your RR!

I've been following a few RRs (yours, Ulyses, JDowns, etc) with great interest, and was kindda looking forward to meet you guys while passing thru Costa Rica whenever possible, however there seems to be a common pattern among riders heading South: get a good head start in the States, spend some time exploring/relaxing in Mexico & Guatemala, and then rush thru Nicaragua/Costa Rica to get to Panama for a boat/flight bookings. A little unfortunate, but I do get the deadline thing. Too bad that the Panama/Colombia ferry never came alive as promised last year! Perhaps I'll have a better luck with JDowns based on his pace so far!

My buddy who did Toronto to SA last year spent almost 1 month in Medellin, and loved Colombia in general. I'm hoping to get down there in the next year. Enjoy South America and keep posting whenever possible pls!
Thanks for your donation to Stephanie. That's all you need to do. I would like to send any donations people might have given to me, her way. My intention was to help someone. Steph will certainly do that with any money she receives. She really cares about her community. If you do go to Little Corn be sure to say hi to Steph from me.

Anyone who wants to make a donation to Stephanie's cause can rest assured the money will go to good use for less fortunate children. Steph is all about making life better for others.

I intend to do a post with pictures tonight if I can. I'm downloading maps at the moment. I'm in Chia, Colombia

Thanks again for your donation to Steph's cause. I know she will appreciate it and I certainly do too.

Kedgi
Old 12-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #547
Kedgi OP
Banned

Steph is in hospital but insists she's fine

For those of you that missed it my friend Stephanie that I met in El Salvador, was bicycling solo, Calgary Alberta to Little Corn Island Nicaragua to raise money for a learning center there. 20 miles short of her final destination she was struck by a car, hospitalized and lost her gear and her bike.

Here is a link where you can donate to her cause and really help a girl who cares about others do something good.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #548
Kedgi OP
Banned

Steph's OK

Just got this in

Thanks to an alert reader in Dryden ON, dryden_rider_54, who saw it on face book

Steph is ok , no apparent brain injury just a huge squishy lump and road rash on her face and 5% of her body...they want to keep her in for 5 days for observation but some how I cant see her letting that happen....she is eager to get to the Island.
Amazing, as seems to be the pattern of her journey, her bike has been returned to her with all her belongings, computer, solar pack, Ipod and passport included.

""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Thank God!

Kedgi
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #549
pboulianne09
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Our thoughts go out to Steph. We've donated to her cause and thanks for introducing us to this special girl. I'm sure that she'll get all the support she needs from the community.
pboulianne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #550
Kedgi OP
Banned

South America

Yesterday we finally made it to South America. Boris and I had some time to kill before our flight so we went to see the Panama Canal.

Really cool. I was surprised by how fast the locks work. It takes about 8 minutes to fill or drain one so you can watch a ship pass. An interesting comment I heard from the announcer was that the Government of Panama accepts no checks, cheques, IOU's, bank drafts etc. CASH only to pass through the Canal!

Welcome to the Panama Canal

Miraflores Locks

Ship coming through

These little locomotives tug the ship through and keep it from hitting the sides

The Canal has a very good museum that explains how it works how it was constructed etc, with lots of photos, exhibits and even a 3-D movie. We both thought it was well worth going to see.

After the Canal we caught a cab back to the fish market so Boris could try the $2 Cervice (Seafood Chowder) everyone at our hostel was talking about.

The Fish Market

Not being a fish lover I walked back to Old Town and shot this snap along the way. This is a picture of a man excited about going to South America

I had my lunch, pasta and chicken, at this nice little restaurant

Old Town is decorated for Christmas, in 35 degree heat

After lunch we killed a little more time just walking around

They are going to great expense to restore the old town

I liked the Panama hats. Never bought one, no place to put it on the bike.

This is where we had the great pizza the first night in Panama City

One last shot of the City and it was time to go to the airport.

Boris at The Tocumen Panama City Airport

It's a nice airport, even has one of Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville's

I had to have a beer there just so I can say I did.

And before long we were off to Bogata, Colombia, SA

Avianca was using a brand new A320, really nice!

Even had remote control for your TV

And they brought you lunch and a beer for free on an hour and ten minute flight. First time I had a South American beer

The view over the Darien Gap

Before we knew it we were in Bogata, Colombia

We took a cab to a hostel in the Candalaria Distric of Centro after we got checked in we went out for a couple beers at a pub that was charging 70 cents for a great beer, POKER

We went for a walk and came upon a major street that had lots of Christmas lights. It is shut to vehicular traffic and was filled with food vendors serving thousands of people who come to see the lights

Sorry it's a little shaky but I don't carry a tripod

We walked and walked and people watched and tried street foods for supper. I loved this BBQ'd corn

Boris tried some Dulce (Not the dulce that comes from the Bay of Fundy) It is Spanish for sweets

I took this picture of our hostel this morning as we left to get our bikes at the airport

At the airport, it was a long process at Aduana, the guy across from Boris had a great attitude, and we waited in chairs, first time at any border

It was a long process at Girag

Finally we got our bikes

I looked mine over it was all good except I noticed I had a broken subframe bolt. Not Girhags fault I'm sure, most likely broke it on the road to San Juan del Sur or riding through Honduras. ****Note to KLR riders**** Bring spares. I forgot to, but I'm lucky I have a center stand installed and the bolts for the handle you grab for the centersatnd fit perfectly, well almost. They thred through and tighten in the nut welded to the frame. But they are slightly too long.

When I left Girhag I could here a whining or buzzing sound and realized the bolt I had substituted was rubbing against my chain. Boris and i looked for a garage, or anyone with a hacksaw. At a Texaco we were told just around the next roundabout there was a motorcycle mechanic. In fact there were dozens of bike shops. I don't know how my bike knows to have issues as it's passing a bike shop but I like that about it.

My Colombian mechanics had me on the road in about 20 minutes

Boris was headed south and I'm headed north to Cartagena so we parted ways.

We traveled well together, but we are both solo travellers at heart. We do however hope to meet againg further south and will keep in touch. I am very appreciative of Boris' help organizing a flight etc and wish I could speak Spanish as well as he can. Things would be a lot easier for me down here.

I had a terrible time finding the Northbound Highway out of Bogata and saw a lot of the seedier side of the city but I finally found the "autopista" and I am in a nice hostel tonight run by a mother and daughter who are very nice. They both smile and talk away to me, too bad I don't get much of what they are saying. I am in Chia, just north of Bogata but near the autopista.

The ladies insisted I bring the bike into their house and thought it was funny when I wanted to take a picture of the Moto in the Casa. In fact the daughter wanted to knwo if I wanted her in the picture too, how could I refuse. So here is trusty and my wonderful hosts in the lobby, or more accurately entranceway to the house. I only found this place cause I asked for a hostal at a nearby gas station, there is no sign, I was told to come down this little street and knock at the Porto Blanco (White Door) So I did and I'm here

Trusty with my hosts

Headed towards Cartagena tomorrow. I hope I'll see the guys that actually made the Steel Rat

Kedgi screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 09:02 PM
Old 12-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #551
Kedgi OP
Banned

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboulianne09 View Post
Our thoughts go out to Steph. We've donated to her cause and thanks for introducing us to this special girl. I'm sure that she'll get all the support she needs from the community.
I feel lucky to have met her. She sure made me think.

Thanks

Dwight
Old 12-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #552
Kedgi OP
Banned

Chia

Chia is decorated for Christmas too

This huge tree is the first thing you see as you ride into town.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #553
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCRider View Post
Meant to ask you.. which way did you take to go across Costa Rica?

I think I recall you mentioned something about San Jose traffic being bad. Did you follow Hwy 1 and 2 (ie. PanAm), which would have taken you thru San Jose? Or did you follow the coast line via Hwy 1 / 34 / 2 ? Hope you did the latter as it's much faster than the PanAm way to cross CR border to border.

I followed the Pan Am and made a gross navigational error looking for 34, realized my mistake when I came to a dead end and had to back track 70k. I have to stop asking for directions. It never fails to screw me up.

I realize now I had not correctly installed my Central America GPs maps and only had partial functionality all the way through Central America. I could only see the main roads on the maps and could notask for directions to an address etc. It's why I had such a hard time getting out of Bogata today. I fixed the download for SA tonight and now my GPS works again.

My problems were further complicated by the wonderful set of maps I bought that have everything but route numbers on them WTF?

Note to potnetial travelers, buy the full sized map for each country from ITMB Publishing of Richmond BC, It's expensive but worth it

Kedgi
Old 12-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #554
pboulianne09
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hey Dwight,

Glad to hear that Steph got all of her suff back. Love the postings. Cross Canada is the first on the bucket list and we'll make sure to look you up when we're out East.

Take good care,
Pierre

In my next life I'm coming back as Jimmy Buffet....
pboulianne09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #555
Kedgi OP
Banned

17 Southbound Motos at the hosyel in Cartagena tonight

17 Southbound Motos at the hostel in Cartegena tonight. Crazy! More llater

Kedgi