Kedgi OP
Banned

Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoVonHawkrider View Post
Dwight

Great stuff as usual.

BA is one of the cities I want to visit. Arggie womens

I know ur hitting Fla, not sure how long ur staying there, but March 16th is the Daytona 200

I might go...would be riding from Pa

Stay Safe & Thirsty my friend

Rhino
The 200 would be a lot of fun. I have been to it three times in the past, but I think I'll be home in NB by then.

Kedgi
Kedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #1172
Kedgi OP
Banned

Cool2 Picture heavy post from Buenos Aires

I went on a major walk today, exploring points of interest in BA

The Cathedral

Government House

A Plaque to Cafe Tortoni, closed permanently in 2008

Thousands of elegant apartment buildings on broad, tree lined, streets

Beautiful restaurants

Rodin's Thinker in front of the National Congress Building

More elegant apartments

Across from Congress

The National Theater

I walked for several miles to this huge Market, which in the end wasn't a Market at all but a very upscale shopping mall

It was such a long walk I hopped on the subway to come back to the hostal, where I am now, resting my tired feet. It costs about 50 cents a trip for the subway.

BA is an amazing city.

Kedgi
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 PM   #1173
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
I've finally caught up and I'm now starting on your TLH report. I loved your pics from Salta. I was lucky to spend 6 weeks there about 10 years ago.

Some food for thought, if you ride back in May you should think about incorporating Rick's Rendezvous into your trip home. I know a lot of us inmates would love to hear about your trip and meet you in person.

Thanks for the great RR! Have a safe trip home.

-Mike

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #1174
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
I've finally caught up and I'm now starting on your TLH report. I loved your pics from Salta. I was lucky to spend 6 weeks there about 10 years ago.

Some food for thought, if you ride back in May you should think about incorporating Rick's Rendezvous into your trip home. I know a lot of us inmates would love to hear about your trip and meet you in person.

Thanks for the great RR! Have a safe trip home.

-Mike

I don't THINK I know about Rick's rendezvous can you fill me in?

Kedgi
Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #1175
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
May 15-19th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedgi View Post
I don't THINK I know about Rick's rendezvous can you fill me in?

Kedgi
Should be some great times. This will be my first year going but I've been fly fishing near Hampton TN before and it is very nice. Should have some awesome KLR friendly roads/tracks.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=820686

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:03 PM   #1176
Kedgi OP
Banned

Mystery Solved

I asked Lucas ( the hostal owner) tonight about the mysterious men in Salta continuously repeating the word "Wemen" (I asked one of them what they were selling by the way and he kind of slinked away from me and gave me a very confusing answer in Spanish that I did not understand)

Lucas says "there is no mystery" they are selling Women!

No wonder they all looked so shady!

You see it here in BA too but what they do here is have young, (20 something girls) hand you business cards as you walk down the street.

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto!

Kedgi
Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #1177
DeeJay Rider
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Be extra careful on the last part of the trip, stay focused and don't think about what you're going to do later. I had a bad crash in Montana 2 years ago on my way home to Calgary from a long tour. Just 5 hours from home, and thinking ahead of myself and lost focus. Went off a corner at high speed in a rainstorm, got a free helicopter ride right after. Lived to ride another day.

Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
DeeJay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #1178
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJay Rider View Post
Be extra careful on the last part of the trip, stay focused and don't think about what you're going to do later. I had a bad crash in Montana 2 years ago on my way home to Calgary from a long tour. Just 5 hours from home, and thinking ahead of myself and lost focus. Went off a corner at high speed in a rainstorm, got a free helicopter ride right after. Lived to ride another day.

Just sayin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's good advice.

I'm glad to hear you're OK. I always wanted a ride in a Helicopter but that's not the way i want to get one.

I'm taking the bike to the airport this morning. That should be interesting in this big city. I'll post some pictures of the adventure later.

Kedgi
Old 02-25-2013, 02:56 AM   #1179
Kedgi OP
Banned

Palermo

I took the subway to the Palermo neighborhood of BA yesterday. I went to Sugar, a sports bar that was showing the Daytona 500. Met some really nice people and enjoyed Palermo. It's a very nice neighborhood with lots of sidewalk cafes, restaurants and bars.

I'll post some pictures later. Gotta get out of here and go get my bike.

Kedgi
Old 02-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #1180
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
What an adventure so far! Thanks for the good and not so good stories of being on the road for as long as you have. Gives us the reader a true perspective of what is like to be away from home for that long. Thanks for all the updates.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #1181
Nice_Rumble
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,216
Quito, Ecuador

I was just in Quito, Ecuador on Wednesday. Was thinking about you staying and riding through there. Saw the police KLR's. Coming from the states I can't believe how people drive, ride and pedestrians cross the streets without getting killed. Totally crazy but it's all normal to them. And every one has to beep their horns and all the cars have a theft alarm that's always going off. The one big thing that got to me was the air pollution. No concern about emission controls as trucks, cars and buses belch black smoke into the air on a constant basis. Living in Quito has got to take 10 years off your life by breathing the air.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. I respect your tenacity to hang in there through some challenging conditions when I'm sure you'd have much rather been sitting in the Florida sunshine. Give a shout if you need anything when traveling through New Hampshire.

Looking down on "Old Town"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212396922304662/
Nice_Rumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:00 AM   #1182
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
What an adventure so far! Thanks for the good and not so good stories of being on the road for as long as you have. Gives us the reader a true perspective of what is like to be away from home for that long. Thanks for all the updates.

Later
John

Thanks John.

It has been an adventure of a lifetime. Too much fun some days and other days, well there have to be other days.

I am so looking forward to seeing Angele again. I will be home in about ten days. It seems hard to believe. I'll be in Miami Thursday, that seems so close to home, it's familiar at least.

Being away from home and those you love for so long is taxing at times, to say the least.

Glad you're reading and enjoying it.

Dwight
Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 AM   #1183
Kedgi OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice_Rumble View Post
I was just in Quito, Ecuador on Wednesday. Was thinking about you staying and riding through there. Saw the police KLR's. Coming from the states I can't believe how people drive, ride and pedestrians cross the streets without getting killed. Totally crazy but it's all normal to them. And every one has to beep their horns and all the cars have a theft alarm that's always going off. The one big thing that got to me was the air pollution. No concern about emission controls as trucks, cars and buses belch black smoke into the air on a constant basis. Living in Quito has got to take 10 years off your life by breathing the air.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. I respect your tenacity to hang in there through some challenging conditions when I'm sure you'd have much rather been sitting in the Florida sunshine. Give a shout if you need anything when traveling through New Hampshire.

Looking down on "Old Town"

That's a great picture. Quito is such a nice, clean city. I do remember though, how hard it was to breathe there, you are so high.

Riding those tight mountain passes, waiting to pass a line of trucks belching black smoke can be tough on you at high elevations.

I hope you had a great trip.

My buddy, Tom, and I are working on a plan for the ride home from Florida. He's making arrangements to send his KLR south so we can ride home together in May. We just may see you in NH. We have plans to visit with friends in Alton.

Kedgi
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #1184
Kedgi OP
Banned

The last few days in BA in Pictures

I can't believe how much cheaper these mini splits are here. This complete unit was the equivilent of about $800.00 cdn. The same thing is over $2000 at home.

The TV in my room, a Ken Brown

This is where I watched the Daytona 500. I was the only viewer

This is the bar, Sugar

These guys, Ivan and Matias, were outstanding. They both spoke excellent English and really made me feel welcome. I felt like I really made a couple of friends.

Ivan's friend Anne Marie dropped in. She and Ivan are from Colombia and she speaks wonderful English too. These people were really nice to me.

Michael Jackson was in town

Inside DakarMotos

DakarMotos

There was a Swiss rider, Marcos, who was shipping his broken BMW back to Bern. He needed a lift to the airport for his bike, so for a few dollars more, I got a lift too. This is Javier, from DakarMotos helping load bikes.

The airport

The Customs drug dog went nuts over my tank bag.....Oh Oh!

Turns out i had forgotten some Oreos in there

Sandra, from DakarMotos with Marcos the Swiss rider

Wrapped and ready to go....Miami here we come!

I spent last night talking to Robin. He's a sea captain, from Great Britain, who went back to school, became a lawyer and now travels the world investigating marine accidents for an insurance company. What an interesting guy.

Meet Robin

Kedgi screwed with this post 02-26-2013 at 05:44 AM
Old 02-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #1185
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 838
A Wonderful Trip

It's been great following you, I've enjoyed every minute of it. About his time next year I'll be shipping my bike home from BA too. I was thinking of shipping to Miami. Would you mind sharing what your shipping cost is?

Thanks again for sharing your adventure with us
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote