Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #151
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
When you ride or race in Baja, you HAVE to be completely self reliant, to do otherwise is foolish at best. Half of racing in Baja is the logistical battle including pitting, chasing, hotels, transport, and personnel. A $1200 dollar entry fee is nothing, a $600 Mag-7 pit fee is so cheep one should expect little in return. Too bad this all comes too late for many "Bucket Listers" and "Dust to Glory-ites". I might sound a little harsh, but I've been doing this for over 40 years and have seen prolly more failures with attempting to race in Baja than successful efforts, especially since Dust to Glory came out.
Here we go again You forgot "ADVracer"
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #152
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post

Every year NORRA talks about some form of bonus for roadbook only users, or disadvantage to GPS users, but they have not implemented anything yet. They are talking again about it for 2013, but so far I haven't seen them commit to anything.

They should.. I didnt use it, it is not in the spirit of rally
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #153
Maineroot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Bike transport

I'm getting quotes on shipping containers from our 3 warehouse locations this week. Sandy wiped us out last week- we are getting back into shape.

HERE ARE THE SHIP POINTS
1. L.A
2. Rochester, New Hampshire
3. Austin, TEXAS

Once I get some #'s I can then get you guys an idea of what it's going to look like in terms of costs to get a bike to CALEXICO.

Stay tuned......
#34 MX1K
TEAM GREENWOOD: Kali Protectives, Hammer Nutrition
Maine Root Handcrafted Beverages, Darco Boot, ATOMIC MOTO,
Klim Riding Gear, Flexx Bars, Seat Concepts Seats, CJ DESIGNS PEGS, FORMA
BOOTS, Tj's Cycle, Austin TX
Maineroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #154
desert650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
When you ride or race in Baja, you HAVE to be completely self reliant, to do otherwise is foolish at best. Half of racing in Baja is the logistical battle including pitting, chasing, hotels, transport, and personnel. A $1200 dollar entry fee is nothing, a $600 Mag-7 pit fee is so cheep one should expect little in return. Too bad this all comes too late for many "Bucket Listers" and "Dust to Glory-ites". I might sound a little harsh, but I've been doing this for over 40 years and have seen prolly more failures with attempting to race in Baja than successful efforts, especially since Dust to Glory came out.
I agree, self reliant is a must (undeniable). $600 to mag 7 for a "SCORE baja 1000" would be very "cheap," but for a NORRA type race, I don't think it is - there's no comparison logistics wise, or entry wise.
Relying on your paid support (Mag7 in this case) shouldn't be foolish at all. I've been a CHECKER for approx 10 years, so I know a thing or two about organizing pits, communicating with race teams, and relying on pits for support when racing. I've never "dropped the ball" when transporting fuel for a racecar/truck out to a pit, and neither has any of my club members - so I've never expected little in return.

If a "pit club" is going to offer pit support to racers (and charge them for it), then they better be able to back it up.

Being on a vintage CR500, I made the mistake (foolishy) of paying and relying on Mag7 to deliver pump gas to 6 pits (over 3 days). It's a pretty simple task actually, why would I expect anything else? But you say I should have "expected little?" HAHAHHA!!! Geez, I would have gladly paid double to "expect a little more than nothing." Or even triple to "expect something above average."

HAHAHAHA!

But whatever, $hit happens, right? Lesson learned. Hopefully some of you can learn from my mistake as well.
desert650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #155
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert650 View Post
I agree, self reliant is a must (undeniable). $600 to mag 7 for a "SCORE baja 1000" would be very "cheap," but for a NORRA type race, I don't think it is - there's no comparison logistics wise, or entry wise.
Relying on your paid support (Mag7 in this case) shouldn't be foolish at all. I've been a CHECKER for approx 10 years, so I know a thing or two about organizing pits, communicating with race teams, and relying on pits for support when racing. I've never "dropped the ball" when transporting fuel for a racecar/truck out to a pit, and neither has any of my club members - so I've never expected little in return.

If a "pit club" is going to offer pit support to racers (and charge them for it), then they better be able to back it up.

Being on a vintage CR500, I made the mistake (foolishy) of paying and relying on Mag7 to deliver pump gas to 6 pits (over 3 days). It's a pretty simple task actually, why would I expect anything else? But you say I should have "expected little?" HAHAHHA!!! Geez, I would have gladly paid double to "expect a little more than nothing." Or even triple to "expect something above average."

HAHAHAHA!

But whatever, $hit happens, right? Lesson learned. Hopefully some of you can learn from my mistake as well.
Mag 7 was not good !!! at the NORRA Race this year.

Twice they were Set up in the wrong place.(day 1 and day 4)
one time on day 3 they did not make it to the pit location at all
most racers made it ,some with help from other racers.
Live and learn ............................
Old 11-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #156
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 102
Thanks keep me posted trying to decide on the best (most economical) way to get the bike out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineroot View Post
I'm getting quotes on shipping containers from our 3 warehouse locations this week. Sandy wiped us out last week- we are getting back into shape.

HERE ARE THE SHIP POINTS
1. L.A
2. Rochester, New Hampshire
3. Austin, TEXAS

Once I get some #'s I can then get you guys an idea of what it's going to look like in terms of costs to get a bike to CALEXICO.

Stay tuned......
Kenda tires , Acerbis
Bill's Pipes http://www.billspipes.com/
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #157
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:

HAHAHAHA!

Come on man, if what you say about being a Checker for the last 10 years is correct, you should know better. Thinking that race gas melted your motor is wrong. High octane race fuel burns cooler and slower than pump gas. It is intended for high compression engines to prevent pre-ignition. Pump gas could cause problems with a high compression engine set up to run race fuel (and possibly even melt it down if you are stupid enough to push it that hard) but race fuel in a standard compression engine is simply a waste of money and does NO harm. I'm betting what really happened is you guys partied with Larkin the night before and you forgot to put the oil in the gas. If you are not a bike Checker then you were partying the night before with Tony Tellier and Kras .

How could putting people out in the desert supporting NORRA be cheaper than supporting SCORE????

So yeah Checkers MC or Checkers Offroad?
Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM   #158
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Mag 7 was not good !!! at the NORRA Race this year.
When I saw they had bad pit coordinates on their website, I told them they were wrong, twice.
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/sho...=1#post1404304
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #159
desert650
Adventurer

Quote:
Come on man, if what you say about being a Checker for the last 10 years is correct, you should know better. Thinking that race gas melted your motor is wrong. High octane race fuel burns cooler and slower than pump gas. It is intended for high compression engines to prevent pre-ignition. Pump gas could cause problems with a high compression engine set up to run race fuel (and possibly even melt it down if you are stupid enough to push it that hard) but race fuel in a standard compression engine is simply a waste of money and does NO harm. I'm betting what really happened is you guys partied with Larkin the night before and you forgot to put the oil in the gas. If you are not a bike Checker then you were partying the night before with Tony Tellier and Kras .

How could putting people out in the desert supporting NORRA be cheaper than supporting SCORE????

So yeah Checkers MC or Checkers Offroad?
HAHAHAHA!!! Well... I don't know better! that's why I'm a CHECKER!
Yeah, I was drunk with Kras... the night before (and Bowers too - lol) - but that was just a lucky guess on your part, and had no relation to the DNF i recieved. Didn't see Larkin, or TT, but I've been known to be drunk with those 2 cats as well. Come to think of it, I'm a better partier than a desert racer! HAHAHA!! oh, and it's Checkers Offroad by the way - what else is there?

Who the fu@k knows what they put in my bike, maybe it was some kerosene from their lantern. I wasn't on the bike at the time, and it really wasn't the point of my bitch. Just giving the heads up to anyone looking for "support" to maybe look elsewhere.

Now look what you've done, I'm actually debating dumb stuff over the internet. haha!
Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #160
desert650
Adventurer

Quote:
Cmon man, do I really need to answer this? But since you asked, I'll try to help you understand...

"Putting people out in the desert" sounds so simple, but it wasn't really what I was talking about. a point to point B1k is a much more difficult race to pit than a NORRA ralley. Usually, a longer more difficult offroad race (like a B1K) equals a higher "pit fee." right? More entries (B1K) would probably mean more vehicles in your pit, meaning more supplies to haul, and more people to help run the pit, and usually more pit locations. Pit locations would be much more difficult to get to as well - The more difficult the pit location better actually (and MORE EXPENSIVE). Co-Co's corner isn't really considered a good place to set-up, as chase teams can usually access those areas pretty quickly. Right?

This is kinda what I was getting at.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #161
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,069
Quote:
HAHAHAHA!!! Well... I don't know better! that's why I'm a CHECKER!
Yeah, I was drunk with Kras... the night before (and Bowers too - lol) - but that was just a lucky guess on your part, and had no relation to the DNF i recieved. Didn't see Larkin, or TT, but I've been known to be drunk with those 2 cats as well. Come to think of it, I'm a better partier than a desert racer! HAHAHA!! oh, and it's Checkers Offroad by the way - what else is there?

Who the fu@k knows what they put in my bike, maybe it was some kerosene from their lantern. I wasn't on the bike at the time, and it really wasn't the point of my bitch. Just giving the heads up to anyone looking for "support" to maybe look elsewhere.

Now look what you've done, I'm actually debating dumb stuff over the internet. haha!
Sucked you in didn't I???? Hahahahahaha! Checkers offroad.......that 'splains everything right there....Most of the time you won't remember partying with Larkin. "What about you Bob", Billy R or TT, now that's another story entirely. Prolly the biggest WTF was running a CR500 in Baja! Anyway, I owe you a beer for sucking you in Hahahahahahah!

BYW you aren't on TT's cheeze are you?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #162
desert650
Adventurer

Quote:
Prolly the biggest WTF was running a CR500 in Baja!

Fun while it lasted.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #163
Racer20
East West Racing

Oddometer: 102
Ok, so the Baja 1k is over. Who besides me is getting excited already for the M1K??? Wish we were closer and could actually do a little testing in the desert, not the same in CT..
Kenda tires , Acerbis
Bill's Pipes http://www.billspipes.com/
Racer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #164
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,465
buy a race ready truck..

I will fly if someone buys!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...item1c2db440f6
Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #165
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Ok, so the Baja 1k is over. Who besides me is getting excited already for the M1K??? Wish we were closer and could actually do a little testing in the desert, not the same in CT..

Yes sir !!!!
It is time to do a little traing with my son.He will be racing a 450 in the 2013 event along with my self racing
(bike TBD) If everything works out FPS racing should have 4 bikes in the event and be offering Race Support at all three of the night layover points. Pease keep an eye out for some MC class ruel changes that are in the works.