Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #451
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I personally embrace the vintage aspect of the event and I hope that Honoring the Past is the prime reason for holding the event.
Me too. The only place to go for vintage is NORRA, and they're doing a great job with it. But the "Forging The Future" part is a bit unclear to me. Maybe that's the rally part? But they are stopping short of a real cross-country rally.

Quote:
This event is never going to have the navigational challenges everyone dreams about while watching the Dakar on TV. I've basically said this many times before, but here are only so many ways to get from Mexicalli to Cabo.
There's a HUGE difference in navigation between the M1K and Dakar. At the moment, the M1K nav is so easy, many can do almost the whole course without a GPS or roadbook. There's plenty of opportunity for NORRA to make the nav a bit more more challenging without affecting the vintage aspect, even on existing roads. But they choose not to make even the most basic attempt to make it challenging. The roadbook seems to be just a cool book to keep as a momento of the race rather than the key to following the race course.

Quote:
Unless you just fell off of the turnip truck, more than likely you've raced those routes many times. Even SCORE has major problems finding routes going south. More and more private property and fenced off/gated access is the rule these days... Unfortunately, much of what is available in the North has been hacked up by the big SCORE vehicles and few people enjoy miles and miles of VW sized whoops.
Those issues, plus the lack of challenging nav defines a nitch that I'd like to see filled, and that many others would like to see available too. So far NORRA doesn't seem interested in an event that would fill that nitch. I'll keep working on it (a separate event), and find a way to fill the nitch.

Quote:
the days of open access are long gone.
You're thinking "in the box". A good diabolical plan shreds the box.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #452
Anders Green
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
So far NORRA doesn't seem interested in an event that would fill that nitch. (of a long event with more navigational challenge)
I'm interested in doing the Dakar. I'm just 300 training days, 30 travel days, and 100,000 dollars short, so I haven't done anything. But don't say I'm not interested!

I'd say it's the same for the people at NORRA. I know they're interested, because I've talked about it with them. But going from interested to investing 1000 man-hours and $$$,$$$ to make it happen is a big step.

Cheers,
Anders
Old 01-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #453
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
don't say I'm not interested! ... I know they're interested, because I've talked about it with them. But going from interested to investing 1000 man-hours and $$$,$$$ to make it happen is a big step.
When I wrote "they" I guess I should have limited it to Mike P. I would have expected you would be in favor, as is Ken Cameron for sure. But Mike calls the shots, and for whatever reasons he's not allowing the course and tools (GPS) to change. I can understand preserving the formula that's working now for the M1K, but how about a second or third rally that is oriented towards difficult navigation? I talked at length with Mike about Diabolical, and he basically said he's not interested.

BTW, it doesn't cost anything to eliminate GPS, and it's quite easy to catch those who don't follow the roadbook. No special equipment nor manpower are needed to do that. Just a couple of carefully placed small course adjustments would do it. I had it all figured out last year, but couldn't sell the idea. That wouldn't be full-blown Dakar Rally style, but an easy to implement step in that direction that would not affect the vintage aspect at all.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #454
Johnnymoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Anyone Like To Share A Support Vehicle?

Amigos, Myself and a pal are running a DRZ400S in the Mex1K this year. We are out of Chicago, we ride Baja a couple weeks a year, and keep a garage in San Diego where we store our bikes/spares etc. The current plan is to ship my truck round trip to San Diego, but the quotes for that have been really steep, over $2000, and as such I figured I'd throw it out there to my fellow rallygoers. If anyone has room in their entourage for a co rider, a spare bike, and some spare kit, and that crew could drop that stuff off in San Diego post rally please let us know. We don't need the ride back from Cabo either, we'd just fly home from there. We aren't in a pinch here at all, I just figured that there could be someone with some room in their rig and that could use the dough to fund their race effort. We always try to keep the $$ in the family when possible. PM or email johnny@motoworkschicago.com if you have any interest. Take Care - Johnny
Johnnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #455
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymoto View Post
Amigos, Myself and a pal are running a DRZ400S in the Mex1K this year. We are out of Chicago, we ride Baja a couple weeks a year, and keep a garage in San Diego where we store our bikes/spares etc. The current plan is to ship my truck round trip to San Diego, but the quotes for that have been really steep, over $2000, and as such I figured I'd throw it out there to my fellow rallygoers. If anyone has room in their entourage for a co rider, a spare bike, and some spare kit, and that crew could drop that stuff off in San Diego post rally please let us know. We don't need the ride back from Cabo either, we'd just fly home from there. We aren't in a pinch here at all, I just figured that there could be someone with some room in their rig and that could use the dough to fund their race effort. We always try to keep the $$ in the family when possible. PM or email johnny@motoworkschicago.com if you have any interest. Take Care - Johnny
PM Baja Dad
Old 01-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #456
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,269
some times the word "rally" is perceved differently.. I tend to belive Mike p belives it means a organized get together or making a run somewhere. Those on this site read the word rally and think the Dakar.. hopefully this rally can find a really good middle ground. Seems like they should have had a "suggestion box" on their webpage or some sort of open dialog like has kind of been done in the rules thread Anders started. speaking of, how bout a half day of moto only stage off piste? I am on the fence hearing that there will be no changes what so ever.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #457
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
PM Baja Dad
I have talked to him a bunch the last few months and set him up with a bunch of parts.
I am working on support for him now.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #458
Strong Bad OP
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
When I wrote "they" I guess I should have limited it to Mike P. I would have expected you would be in favor, as is Ken Cameron for sure. But Mike calls the shots, and for whatever reasons he's not allowing the course and tools (GPS) to change. I can understand preserving the formula that's working now for the M1K, but how about a second or third rally that is oriented towards difficult navigation? I talked at length with Mike about Diabolical, and he basically said he's not interested.

BTW, it doesn't cost anything to eliminate GPS, and it's quite easy to catch those who don't follow the roadbook. No special equipment nor manpower are needed to do that. Just a couple of carefully placed small course adjustments would do it. I had it all figured out last year, but couldn't sell the idea. That wouldn't be full-blown Dakar Rally style, but an easy to implement step in that direction that would not affect the vintage aspect at all.
Pearlman has already hinted at the partnering with CODE to do a multi-day event (Mexicalli-San Felepe-Ensenada) rally in September? Why aren't you on that "like white on rice"?
Old 01-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #459
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Quote:
Why aren't you on that "like white on rice"?
It's more of the same. If they ask, I'll probably do roadbooks for that, but from what I hear, there's no plan for tough nav and they will allow GPS.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #460
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,810
Well, bad news is I am officially out for the Mex1k this year. I got the opportunity to change jobs and go to a small startup company. The next couple of years are going to be crazy busy.

But, the good news is if the new company is successful I will end up with a lot more time and flexibility after a couple of years. That will give me the flexibility to go after my rally dreams.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #461
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I have talked to him a bunch the last few months and set him up with a bunch of parts.
I am working on support for him now.
Perfect!!!!!!!!!! Good Job Mark!
Old 01-16-2013, 08:42 AM   #462
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,841
Good Luck!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Well, bad news is I am officially out for the Mex1k this year. I got the opportunity to change jobs and go to a small startup company. The next couple of years are going to be crazy busy.

But, the good news is if the new company is successful I will end up with a lot more time and flexibility after a couple of years. That will give me the flexibility to go after my rally dreams.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #463
bajaboundmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymoto View Post
If anyone has room in their entourage for a co rider, a spare bike, and some spare kit, and that crew could drop that stuff off in San Diego post rally please let us know.
or... http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=833489
bajaboundmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #464
RenoMoto
Rally Navigator

Oddometer: 212
I'm in - looking forward to a great tour of Baja.

Inmates:

I just finished submitting my race entry on the NORRA website. Time to start making plans.

It will be my first time riding in Baja - looking forward to a good adventure.

Anybody know where I can get a set of bad-ass knobbies for my race machine?

See you in Mexicali - and San Jose Del Cabo a few days later.

Should be fun,
Pics - Moto - Dakar Rally - Rally Mongolia - TAT - F1 - Sports Cars - Crap
Rally Navigator - Create, Print & Share Rally Routes with Google Earth.
RenoMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 PM   #465
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,269
SB.. you're always right

Quote:
Pearlman has already hinted at the partnering with CODE to do a multi-day event (Mexicalli-San Felepe-Ensenada) rally in September? Why aren't you on that "like white on rice"?

NORRA FORMALLY ANNOUNCES SECOND OFF-ROAD RALLY FOR 2013
-- Unique Partnership with Mexican Sanctioning Body CODE Will Focus on Northern Baja and Historic Machinery For Three-Day Event --

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

EMAIL:

JANUARY 18, 2013: Armed with a now-proven track record of creating, promoting and hosting the latest form of desert off-road racing, the National Off-Road Racing Association (NORRA) today officially announced it will stage a second vintage-themed rally this year from September 25th to September 28th beginning and ending in Mexicali, Baja, Mexico. The yet-to-be named event will be held the same weekend as the more traditionally formatted 10th annual “Mexicana Logistics 300” race of the CODE Off Road Series, and will offer competitors a second calendar date to NORRA’s General Tire Mexican 1000 rally, which this year takes place from April 27-May 1.
In a unique partnership, NORRA will work on this event with CODE, a well-established Mexican sanctioning body that attracts a very large and enthusiastic group of local racers. CODE has been instrumental in helping NORRA with the complex logistics needed to hold the annual NORRA General Tire Mexican 1000 adventure.
While event details are yet to be completely finalized with Mexican officials, current plans call for contestants enjoying a complete NORRA Tech and Contingency day in Mexicali on Wednesday, Sept. 25th before heading south to the seaside village of San Felipe the next day. Day 2 of the rally will use various roads to reach the town of Ensenada on the Pacific Ocean. On Saturday, September 28th both the NORRA and CODE racers will merge in Ensenada for a combined race and rally back to Mexicali.
NORRA would like to thank Mexicali and Ensenada for their continuous support as we finalize the details of the event.
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote