User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #1
Pat Rider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question R 1200 GS LC, some advices

After many years dreaming and a lot of hours reading thousands and millions of posts, finally it’s my time! This year I’m going to buy the new R 1200 GS LC, and I need some advices. I’m going to use her for normal rides, weekends escapes and for 2 weeks traveling with passenger and full luggages.

What I need is some opinions about the ESA suspension system. It really worth the price? The after-market like the Touratech it’s not better?

The LED front light it's more powerfull that the normal one? In the future, i'm pondering to mount the 2 little auxiliary lights..

And the last question is the original GPS. With less money i've a Garmin Zumo. I like the Garmin, simple and with free lifetime maps. The original comes with the commande in the left grip..

Help me... i really need some advices before taking the final decision.
Pat Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
Kevin Dixon
Motorrad Abenteurer

Oddometer: 675
Yes the suspension is worth the price. Yes the LED is much better. And yes the nav V is better than the Zumo.
Kevin Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Yes, the suspension is worth it.

Yes, the LED is more powerful, but with aux lights you could pinch a few bucks here (but the LED looks pretty freakn cool, and given the machine you've settled on, who cares about the added cost?).

I sold my 6 month old Zumo and purchased a Nav 5 because of the extra telemetry and added safety provided by the scroll wheel (Dont pinch here).

Here's my advice: buy the bike you want, because at that price you dont want to end up feeling even a little buyers remorse, relatively speaking, over a couple of bucks.
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
kendives
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
yes the suspension is worth the price. Yes the led is much better. And yes the nav v is better than the zumo.
+1
Old 01-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
Otherworld
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
..and you do know the Nav 5 is made and supported by Garmin, yeah? If you have Zumo, I know a buyer (depending on the model).
Otherworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:53 PM   #6
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
I agree with the above. When you are spending this kind of money get the bike you want. The ESA is pretty awesome. The LED is also very cool especially if you plan to augment it with some extra lights. I have the Nav V but haven't used it much yet.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,997
remember some day you will sell it, and those factory options raise the resale price some, so there not as expensive as they appear when looking at MSRP.

I bought what I could get, and it came with all the stuff you are asking about. Glad I got it. I change the ESA as road conditions change. Ride modes is great. I don't have the GPS because I love my Montana, so I removed the Nav 5 mount and replace it with the Montana mount. Have not ridden at night yet so I can't say about the LED headlight.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #8
GeorgeKingGeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Go on a demo ride to decide if the ESA is worth it for you.

Go on a demo ride at night to decide if the ESA is worth it for you.

Buy the Nav V. It is the only way to get the integration with the scroll wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowPro View Post
remember some day you will sell it, and those factory options raise the resale price some, so there not as expensive as they appear when looking at MSRP.

I bought what I could get, and it came with all the stuff you are asking about. Glad I got it. I change the ESA as road conditions change. Ride modes is great. I don't have the GPS because I love my Montana, so I removed the Nav 5 mount and replace it with the Montana mount. Have not ridden at night yet so I can't say about the LED headlight.
GeorgeKingGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 882
Not only is the ESA worth it, the dynamic suspension included in that same package is amazing. I have never ridden a bike that felt so perfectly set up and planted all the time. It is like constantly riding on a bike that is perfectly tuned for the road. The LED headlight is worth it as well. It catches attention from the front of the bike, and is an added safety feature.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #10
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843
The D-ESA is not as good as a really good aftermarket solution, but it's more convenient. If you define the standard suspension as a 5, great aftermarket as 10, I'd put the D-ESA at around 8.5. I got it anyways. I might regret that decision once the suspension starts falling apart in a few years.

The Nav V was well worth it for me as well as the LED headlights. Btw, in my manual is a mistake that says to adjust the right hand adjuster for up/down movement, which isn't correct. The left side adjuster that also has the "high load" flip that does up/down. The one pictured in the manual does left/right adjustment for the highbeam. I didn't seem much difference for the low beam on that one.

But for me the most important advice is to not go with the OEM Vario luggage if you want space for your and a passenger's luggage.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:59 AM   #11
Pat Rider OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Thanks to all!!

I had ride the 2008 model in a weekend with passenger and full luggages, and made over 800km. And it was a basic without ESA. The GS LC demo ride that i'd already made was only 1h...and alone. Too fast and exciting...

Maybe i go for the full equiped.
Pat Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:46 AM   #12
IB1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 962
I opted for all options (yes, every single one). Haven't regretted it. I knew I would have regretted it if I didn't take them all.
LED is worth it. ESA also. Still using the garmin 660 and not yet the NAV 5, but it is on my list...

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:57 AM   #13
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 2,997
if you test ride a demo to check out the headlight, keep in mind many here (including me) found the LED was adjusted low from the factory. to the point my first thought was "this headlight sucks". But after you adjust it up to where it should be it really works great.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:47 AM   #14
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Honestly, I can't see spending a ton of money on aftermarket suspension. The stock ESA suspension is pretty damn good. The incremental upgrade will be for bragging rights.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
IMHO, aside from the usual cost considerations (both up front and long term), there are two cases where one might consider going non-ESA:

1) most of the riding you do is on smooth roads with few potholes, frost heaves or broken pavement, and/or

2) your weight is significantly higher or lower than the 85kg level used as the single rider base weight by BMW, so the spring rates of the stock suspension are not likely that great for you.

I really like the D-ESA. Its close to exactly how I want, though I still wish BMW would allow us to customize the damping and preload in each mode like Ducati does. And offer different base spring rates from the factory.