!

I was just joking!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 11:53 AM   #272
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
Can we talk about trip now? No more sex, size talk or BS!!!!!! From now on we will talk about our trip!!!!
There's a trip?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #273
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
Can we talk about trip now? No more sex, size talk or BS!!!!!! From now on we will talk about our trip!!!!
I'm for that! I'm just wondering how "big bike friendly" this trip is going to be. I can take my F800GS - which is smaller than my Vee, but even it can be a bit of a challenge in the single track...
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 PM   #274
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 421
I just purchased DRZ400 because of this trip! My plans was to get bigger bike like f800gs but I dont feel its a good choice for a trip. I have TW200 but I believe DRZ400 will be better for it.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #275
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
I'm for that! I'm just wondering how "big bike friendly" this trip is going to be. I can take my F800GS - which is smaller than my Vee, but even it can be a bit of a challenge in the single track...
From what I can see, there probably won't be a huge amount of real single track on the main routes, although some will likely be thrown in for hoots and giggles.

Trailway, for sure. Gravel roads, certainly. Double track certainly.

I would not want to do it on a Vstrom, either. I consider the Vee or the Wee very good bikes on gravel, but you discover their limits rather quickly when it gets beyond that. I'm not completely familiar with the F800, but I assume it's about the same setup as the F650 with a larger motor.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #276
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I would not want to do it on a Vstrom, either. I consider the Vee or the Wee very good bikes on gravel, but you discover their limits rather quickly when it gets beyond that. I'm not completely familiar with the F800, but I assume it's about the same setup as the F650 with a larger motor.
I can tell you this: I've taken my Vee everywhere that I've taken my F800. But, much prefer the F800 off road. It IS very similar to the F650 twin - the single not so much.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #277
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,066
Quote:
I'm not completely familiar with the F800, but I assume it's about the same setup as the F650 with a larger motor.
FYI: It's a virtually identical motor except for the state of tune. The 650 and 800 twins are the same displacement.

Confused yet?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #278
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
FYI: It's a virtually identical motor except for the state of tune. The 650 and 800 twins are the same displacement.

Confused yet?
I was born confused.

I grew up on a farm driving tractors. I ride thumpers off-road. When it gets beyond "whack 'er in first and let 'er pull," I am out of my depth. I am one of those misguided fools who thinks the KLR is a good bike, which should indicate something.

As we well know, the capabilities of most modern bikes far outstrip that of their riders. Very little of what I ride I would consider true single track. Most of it was a road of sorts at some time or another, which isn't hard to imagine given 300+ years of construction in this area.

I do know that every time I step down in weight, things get easier. Trails that demand a lot of concentration on the KLR are far less demanding on the DRZ, and downright simple on the KDX. As my intent is to go relatively slowly and explore, I don't need the capabilities of a larger machine.

Take whatever bike you feel comfortable with.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #279
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
I do know that every time I step down in weight, things get easier. Trails that demand a lot of concentration on the KLR are far less demanding on the DRZ, and downright simple on the KDX. As my intent is to go relatively slowly and explore, I don't need the capabilities of a larger machine.
I had the opposite experience. I had bought a KLX250 and just hated the thing. It was a bit too tall, too narrow, moved around too much and was gutless when on the highway. I found nothing easy with that bike.

But then I tried the DR650 and I immediately started having a great time. It is more stable when a tire hits a rock, not moving as violently and abruptly. I'm way more comfortable on it. And she steps out very nicely with enough throttle.

Its kinda like a cross between a Dakar winner and a Norton Manx, depending on the context

I do find the F650GS twin to be a bit much on gravel. It might be my paranoia about falling and breaking a lot of expensive German bodywork. The DR is made to be dropped....
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:31 PM   #280
barbsironbutt
Bungee Rancher

Oddometer: 132
I just wish I could be there! I'm sure that in the right hands, Sally would do fine. If I had the time to make the trip, I could conjure the fuel capacity. I hope I can catch you on the way back in Nova Scotia. I will be the one speaking english with a bike that looks like it's owned by the Clampets minus the rocking chair. I could possibly resupply food or other provisions when we meet. I could even bring parts, if needed. Ah, the planning that gets us through winter...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #281
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbsironbutt View Post
I just wish I could be there! I'm sure that in the right hands, Sally would do fine. If I had the time to make the trip, I could conjure the fuel capacity. I hope I can catch you on the way back in Nova Scotia. I will be the one speaking english with a bike that looks like it's owned by the Clampets minus the rocking chair. I could possibly resupply food or other provisions when we meet. I could even bring parts, if needed. Ah, the planning that gets us through winter...
What -- no rocking chair?

Canuman screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:15 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #282
Dirt Roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
For something else to ponder...Here's a link to an interesting distance finder.
http://www.stats.gov.nl.ca/DataTools/RoadDB/Distance/
Dirt Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #283
Dirt Roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
And how to speak like a Newfoundlander... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqLuIXwsLDw
Dirt Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:27 PM   #284
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by dresda View Post
I had the opposite experience. I had bought a KLX250 and just hated the thing. It was a bit too tall, too narrow, moved around too much and was gutless when on the highway. I found nothing easy with that bike.

But then I tried the DR650 and I immediately started having a great time. It is more stable when a tire hits a rock, not moving as violently and abruptly. I'm way more comfortable on it. And she steps out very nicely with enough throttle.

Its kinda like a cross between a Dakar winner and a Norton Manx, depending on the context

I do find the F650GS twin to be a bit much on gravel. It might be my paranoia about falling and breaking a lot of expensive German bodywork. The DR is made to be dropped....
Steph, you weigh somewhat more than a hummingbird, as I recollect. (This may be excessively complimentary through the haze of time, but I don't remember you being a Big Momma.) The KLX is tall and squirmy. I'm not shocked you find the DR more tractable. Me, I love my KLR, which is a kissing cousin to the DR. It's an easy bike to ride.

On trails, I like the DRZ. It's not something you can doze on on on the road, but you can drop it without worries.

OK. Resolved: Everyone will be riding some sort of motorcycle on this trip. Those on Goldwings will have to plot their own path.

I think Steph needs to ride a BSA scrambler.

Canuman screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 06:52 PM
Old 12-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #285
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
WTF?
Nobody told me I'd have to speak alien on this ride...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote