Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #301
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,539
Very fun site for old Brit and other bikes:

http://www.realclassic.co.uk/

I want a Douglas Dragonfly.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #302
AtlasExp
beer me

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I've been using the Scala Rider Q2 headset for a couple of years. When it works, it works pretty well, Sometimes it is slow to sync with another unit, and it is limited in the number of headsets you can connect to via Bluetooth. I tried using walkie-talkie type units (FMRS, I think) and they were something of a pain. You needed to push a button to talk, which isn't always convenient, and they are half-duplex. This means you can either talk or listen, but not both. The Scala is voice-activated and full-duplex. I have two Scala units if you want to use them up to the Rock.
I am taking one! Thanks! But walky-talky range is much longer.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #303
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlasExp View Post
I am taking one! Thanks! But walky-talky range is much longer.
I know you can put together a system with the FMRS radios fairly cheaply -- under $100 per person. For that price, it would be worth testing them again. The Scala system is limited in range, as you said. About 1/4 mile on the road, less in the trees. The FMRS/GMRS radios are up to 35 miles, as I recall.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #304
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
I know you can put together a system with the FMRS radios fairly cheaply -- under $100 per person. For that price, it would be worth testing them again. The Scala system is limited in range, as you said. About 1/4 mile on the road, less in the trees. The FMRS/GMRS radios are up to 35 miles, as I recall.
We have the Scala G4 units which have a slightly better range than the Q2, and when that's not enough (assuming we have cell coverage) we just phone the other through the intercom/mobile connection. Might be a bit tricky to arrange in the back and beyond, of course.

Will you guys be carrying Spot units?
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #305
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 949
They might have better range but initiating a conversation is much more difficult with the new ones. We've found it best to just leave them 'open' all day. Frankly, the upgrade was a disappointment.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #306
dresda
shut up and RIDE!

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Too late now. The vintage Beezer rider gave some stick, and chucked rocks all the way.
He came in second.
If he was on a Rocket III it is very plausible.

When we attended the first Ducati OC of Canada rally at Shannonville in about 1978 or so there was a chap there on a late '50s era Norton Dominator 'bitsa'. 500cc.

He went out with the 750cc Ducatis and beat the pants off them. With his little drum brakes and all.... I saw this with my own eyes.
'....and I shall baffle you with cabbages and rhinoceroses in the kitchen, incessant quotations from "Now We Are Six" through the mouthpiece of Lord Snooty's giant, poisoned, electric head. ' from My Pink Half of the Drainpipe by Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band.
dresda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #307
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
We have the Scala G4 units which have a slightly better range than the Q2, and when that's not enough (assuming we have cell coverage) we just phone the other through the intercom/mobile connection. Might be a bit tricky to arrange in the back and beyond, of course.

I don't have a regular cell phone. I have one of those US Wal-Mart jobbies that I get a card for when I'm on the road.They don't work in Canada. I don't have cell coverage at the house, so it's not worth keeping one full-time. I may get a phone that I can get a card for in Canada with Rogers or the like. Dunno yet.

The FMS/GMRS units seem handy, and are relatively cheap.

As to a Spot, I guess I'd rather spend the extra coin and get a real emergency locator beacon. They cost more, but don't require a subscription. You just have to be $30,000 sure you want to push the panic button, or carry medevac insurance. As medevac insurance can be had for about $3,50/day, it seems to make sense. I don't see sending expensive text messages via Spot as a great advantage.

It's Newfoundland, in any case, not Borneo .While it is remote to a degree, I've always been very pleased to see how Canada responds to protecting citizens and travelers in remote areas. I don't suspect I'd be any worse off needing an evac in Newfoundland than many of the places I regularly ride here close to home. And no, I'm not a naive tourist from the Soft South. I've been in plenty of remote places on foot, by float plane, raft, canoe, motorcycle and Landcruiser over the years. I've never failed to make it out under my own steam.

At least we don't have to worry about headhunters.

Got my med kit coming together. Mil-spec clotting gauze, Kotex, duct tape, and a piece of aluminum foil. I have airways and tourniquets also. I have to replace the formable splints that I gave away on the 2012 Roaming Rally, and re-stock the compression bandages. I'm hoping to score an Epi kit. Surprising how a shot of epinephrine will perk you up after a long day. . .

I'm bringing the quart-size ibuprophen. Seems I need vitamin I lots more to get through the day.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #308
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,802
Quote:
As to a Spot, I guess I'd rather spend the extra coin and get a real emergency locator beacon. They cost more, but don't require a subscription. You just have to be $30,000 sure you want to push the panic button, or carry medevac insurance. As medevac insurance can be had for about $3,50/day, it seems to make sense. I don't see sending expensive text messages via Spot as a great advantage..
We see the Spot as a cheap way to track travelers, and of course for emergencies too. The basic subscription is around $100 a year, and the text messages we send are free, considering they're included in our cell service.

We like the peace of mind we get from seeing where each other is while out riding. We don't even have to ride together as long as we send occasional Spot messages to indicate our current whereabouts.

We each have one of our own in this house, including our son.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #309
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
I hope to be there with my spot. BTW...How's the fishing up on Lake Constant this year?
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #310
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As to a Spot, I guess I'd rather spend the extra coin and get a real emergency locator beacon. They cost more, but don't require a subscription. You just have to be $30,000 sure you want to push the panic button, or carry medevac insurance. As medevac insurance can be had for about $3,50/day, it seems to make sense. I don't see sending expensive text messages via Spot as a great advantage.

It's Newfoundland, in any case, not Borneo .While it is remote to a degree, I've always been very pleased to see how Canada responds to protecting citizens and travelers in remote areas. I don't suspect I'd be any worse off needing an evac in Newfoundland than many of the places I regularly ride here close to home. And no, I'm not a naive tourist from the Soft South. I've been in plenty of remote places on foot, by float plane, raft, canoe, motorcycle and Landcruiser over the years. I've never failed to make it out under my own steam.

At least we don't have to worry about headhunters.

Got my med kit coming together. Mil-spec clotting gauze, Kotex, duct tape, and a piece of aluminum foil. I have airways and tourniquets also. I have to replace the formable splints that I gave away on the 2012 Roaming Rally, and re-stock the compression bandages. I'm hoping to score an Epi kit. Surprising how a shot of epinephrine will perk you up after a long day. . .

I'm bringing the quart-size ibuprophen. Seems I need vitamin I lots more to get through the day.
All this talk of medevac is making Devin's leg ache!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #311
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
All this talk of medevac is making Devin's leg ache!
How is Devs? He was the topic of conversation today. I hope he's on the mend.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #312
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Unknown. I suspect he's doing well, being young and all.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #313
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
[QUOTE=Canuman;20179400]Got my med kit coming together. Mil-spec clotting gauze, Kotex, duct tape, and a piece of aluminum foil. I have airways and tourniquets also. I have to replace the formable splints that I gave away on the 2012 Roaming Rally, and re-stock the compression bandages. I'm hoping to score an Epi kit. Surprising how a shot of epinephrine will perk you up after a long day. . .
/QUOTE]

Wow. You're planning to bring more med kit than I used at work last week. And I'm a Paramedic.

If things work out and myself and Cowbell911 are able to make the trip, you shouldn't have to worry about Medical Supplies or the ability to make use of them.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:58 AM   #314
8gv
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Wow. You're planning to bring more med kit than I used at work last week. And I'm a Paramedic.

If things work out and myself and Cowbell911 are able to make the trip, you shouldn't have to worry about Medical Supplies or the ability to make use of them.
Ya but...what if you're the one who crashes?

It's good to have riders with specific skills to assist the group.

My contribution will be fried clam tasting. I know it doesnt sound like much but when I keel over you'll thank me for going first.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 AM   #315
C-Stain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Ya but...what if you're the one who crashes?
That's when I hope Cowbell will be able to stitch me back together. He's an Advanced Care Paramedic Student with experience in Expanded Scope and spends some of his nights keeping the nurses at one of the local Collaborative Emergency Centers in line.

If we both crash together in twisted pile of V-Strom and F800, well, bury me with my boots on.

Interested in attending the HU Maritimes 2014 Meeting? Click HERE!
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote