Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #556
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Creek West View Post
Hello all.

My apologies for the hijack - but it seems like you folks are in the know with regards to eastern Canada...

I'm planning a Trans-lab ride this summer - heading to St. Johns first, then Gros Morne, across to Blanc-Sablon etc....

Just plotting out some camping spots along the way to Sydney. My riding partner and I will be meeting up nightly with the wives and kids in the van (they're going to backtrack after Gros Morne). Based on our estimates of daily mileage it looks like we will land around the Antigonish area the night before the final push to Sydney.

Any camping spot recommendations in the antigonsih area would be much appreciated - ideally relatively private and not surrounded by RV's and generators!

Thanks in advance...
Hey West, check this out: http://www.ridetherock.com/forums/forum.php
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM   #557
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,484
There's not really much right in Antigonish that fits your bill. Pretty much RV style camping, as I recall.

I've always been pleased with the Provincial Parks and use them when I can. Caribou/Munroes Island PP isn't terribly far from Antigonish (about an hour.) Nice sandy beach, warmest water north of the Carolinas. Sweet place.

http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/caribou.asp#facilities

Quote:
Hello all.

My apologies for the hijack - but it seems like you folks are in the know with regards to eastern Canada...

I'm planning a Trans-lab ride this summer - heading to St. Johns first, then Gros Morne, across to Blanc-Sablon etc....

Just plotting out some camping spots along the way to Sydney. My riding partner and I will be meeting up nightly with the wives and kids in the van (they're going to backtrack after Gros Morne). Based on our estimates of daily mileage it looks like we will land around the Antigonish area the night before the final push to Sydney.

Any camping spot recommendations in the antigonsih area would be much appreciated - ideally relatively private and not surrounded by RV's and generators!

Thanks in advance...
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:22 PM   #558
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
Thanks for the link - great site, I've been lurking on it for a while now....Can't wait to hit the rock!
Bear Creek West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #559
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
There's not really much right in Antigonish that fits your bill. Pretty much RV style camping, as I recall.

I've always been pleased with the Provincial Parks and use them when I can. Caribou/Munroes Island PP isn't terribly far from Antigonish (about an hour.) Nice sandy beach, warmest water north of the Carolinas. Sweet place.

http://parks.gov.ns.ca/parks/caribou.asp#facilities
Thanks Canuman - appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #560
C-Stain
Banned

Oddometer: 4,996
Quote:
Hello all.

Thanks in advance...
If you're going as far as Antigonish, and it's early enough in the day, make the push into Cape Breton and stay at the Whycocomagh Provincial Park. It's quiet, has some laundry facilities and hiking trails and has a nice site with a covered shelter if required.

FYI: Whycocomagh is only an hour or so past Antigonish. You'd be advised to stock up on provisions in Antigonish and continue. Stores are not plentiful in Whycocomagh and the hours can be hit or miss. PM me if you have any questions.
C-Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #561
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
If you're going as far as Antigonish, and it's early enough in the day, make the push into Cape Breton and stay at the Whycocomagh Provincial Park. It's quiet, has some laundry facilities and hiking trails and has a nice site with a covered shelter if required.

FYI: Whycocomagh is only an hour or so past Antigonish. You'd be advised to stock up on provisions in Antigonish and continue. Stores are not plentiful in Whycocomagh and the hours can be hit or miss. PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks C-Stain - it looks like we may stay at the Fundy national park (Yurts anyone!) and drive to Sydney the next day. Our boat leaves at 10 or 11pm so should be a reasonable ride in one day me thinks?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #562
C-Stain
Banned

Yeah, that's doable. Be warned, it will be a long day.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #563
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

When enjoying the Maritimes, be prepared take it slow. A 300 mile day on a road bike is a big chunk of real estate up there. You'll be amazed by the people who want to stop and talk to you. It's like riding into a different century. Maritimers are genuine and caring. When they ask how you are doing, they are sincere in the question and expect an honest answer. There's a level of community there that's been forgotten down south. If you do the islands as a tourist and just blow through, you'll miss the best of it.

Quote:
Thanks C-Stain - it looks like we may stay at the Fundy national park (Yurts anyone!) and drive to Sydney the next day. Our boat leaves at 10 or 11pm so should be a reasonable ride in one day me thinks?
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #564
C-Stain
Banned

Quote:
When enjoying the Maritimes, be prepared take it slow. A 300 mile day on a road bike is a big chunk of real estate up there. You'll be amazed by the people who want to stop and talk to you. It's like riding into a different century. Maritimers are genuine and caring. When they ask how you are doing, they are sincere in the question and expect an honest answer. There's a level of community there that's been forgotten down south. If you do the islands as a tourist and just blow through, you'll miss the best of it.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #565
Bear Creek West
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Stain View Post
Couldn't agree with you more about the genuine nature of maritimers and taking the time to fully experience the area - our time on the rock will be much more pedestrian - we're spending about 9 days in Nfld - can't wait!!
Thanks again for the insight.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #566
jackpiner57
Moto-Racks.com

Oddometer: 1,624
Quote:
So true Tim! I spent the better part of an afternoon drinking coffee and listening to some incredible stories of a retired RCMP officer in St. Peter's. It was definitely one of the highlights of my ride.

"I sort of realize there's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore." -CMDR. David R. Scott
jackpiner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #567
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

And he didn't even bust you, Ace. He would done if he were OPP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpiner57 View Post
So true Tim! I spent the better part of an afternoon drinking coffee and listening to some incredible stories of a retired RCMP officer in St. Peter's. It was definitely one of the highlights of my ride.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #568
Hevy Kevy
ADDRider

Oddometer: 166
Overdone?

A trip's only overdone if you've done it before.
Hevy Kevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #569
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
A trip's only overdone if you've done it a dozen times before.
Fixed.

I've done lots of rides numerous times before and each time they are different and enjoyable. YMMV I suppose.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #570
Canuman OP
Crusty & Unobliging

I think you've missed the point, Ace. Given the choice of riding through a place with 500 years or more of culture and history and riding a new, raw road through the trees, I'll take the people, culture, and history every time. I've ridden plenty of "resource roads." They can be fun. They can also drag on to the unending horizon.

I've been trying to immerse myself in the culture and history of Newfoundland, and it's been a blast. I've read two novels about the place in the past three days, and it's only thing that's kept me righteous and hopeful. I am truly looking forward to this ride, and the people I'll meet there.

You ought to read a whole thread to get the flavor of it before making snitty comments. If you want to treat us with your Trans-Lab RR, c'mon. We're riding The Rock. We've got some very talented folk along. We'll have us a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevy Kevy View Post
A trip's only overdone if you've done it before.