Oddometer: 7,595
Please quit crapping in my thread.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
I travel alot in backwoods USA. So backwoods I install a cell booster just to make calls that are required with my work.
My Verizon Iphone 4s always gets out, whereas by supervisors At&T same 4s does not.
He ends up useing my phone, which chaps his ass.
I suggest Verizon if getting the call out is important.
I dont know about this freq or that freq stuff, all I know is mine works when the others don't.
Its that simple. I use what works.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Please quit crapping in my thread.
please quit asking such lame duck GOOGLE questions when you can simply go to each carriers website and check the coverage maps, which btw on verizon's side updates about 2 weeks behind real life.
Toysrme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #19
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
I travel a lot in NA. Had Verizon for around 10 years. It seemed as good as AT&T. I've had AT&T now for 6 years and it works just as well.

I like the USA/Canada plans a little better with AT&T, so I'll stick with them.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #20
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post

Age 3 weeks. Apple, not a knockoff. My ip5 cord is showing the beginnings of the sane issue after 1 week...
Welcome to Apple.
Never had that problem with any of my Apple cords...

3 weeks? Seriously?

W.A.
Buccleuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #21
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

Ya crazy right? Im really careful too, cord slack, wire not bent over when charging. IMO the little grey CHINA they print next to APPLE collects solar flares that reflect off of swamp gas!
:)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #22
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

To get this thread back on track, the more I look into it, and based on the comments here, there's really no reason to stay with AT&T.

The only negative I can find is the lack of simultaneous voice/data. The contract price is about the same, the data speeds are effectively the same (according to several online tests I saw).

Positives for Verizon are better rated customer service. Better reported coverage area. Unlocked phone from new, which means better resale value if I'd like to eventually sell it. Free hotspot service.

Given the iPhone's criticism for being scratched, I do plan to encase it immediately. I've been using an Otter Box for my 3GS, but I'd like to give the Lifeproof case a go. It has a much small form factor; the Otter Box Defender is pretty bulky. Lifeproof hasn't released an iPhone 5 case yet.

In any case, as far as I can tell, new iPhones are out of stock for the next couple of weeks. I'm in no rush.

Jamie

Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #23
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,154
Quote:
What I do like, and I'm not sure I understand correctly, is that it seems that Verizon offers free Wifi hotspot. On AT&T, I have to pay $25 or $50 per month to turn my phone into a hotspot (or I could Jailbreak), but that's an included feature on Verizon. Is that correct? Of course, you can't use it while also using the phyone. :hmmmm

Jamie
Double check that. It is included on mine but it is also pay as you go on my Verizon plan. Navigation is also an extra cost item. But my plan is one generation back. And Android has apps for both. So maybe Verizon figured out we just download apps to curcumvent that idiocy.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:

What I do like, and I'm not sure I understand correctly, is that it seems that Verizon offers free Wifi hotspot. On AT&T, I have to pay $25 or $50 per month to turn my phone into a hotspot (or I could Jailbreak), but that's an included feature on Verizon. Is that correct? Of course, you can't use it while also using the phone.

I figure it'll be a month or so before I decide to get one. I'd like to get a Lifeproof case first, and it's not yet available for the 5. In addition, the Verizon store I visited to check out their service said that it'll be at least a couple weeks before they get more 5s in stock.

Interesting. From my research, Verizon is highly regarded for customer service.

JD Power ranks Verizon #1: http://www.jdpower.com/content/press...ance-study.htm

Consumer Reports survey ranks Verizon #1: http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...on-survey.html

In any case, I don't ever recall ever having to deal with AT&T customer service and I don't anticipate having to talk to Verizon, either. I know the woman who helped me at the Verizon store was friendly and helpful, if that means anything.

Jamie
ATT customer service has to be one of the worst I've dealt with. don't know where they rank in ratings, but would not surprise me if they are bottom barrel.

soooooo ... glad finally got away from ATT... straight talk is $45 month for unlimited data, voice and text. it'd be 125+ for same thing at ATT. straight talk uses ATT towers, so have not seen any difference in coverage after switching.

set straight talk on autopay for a no fuss...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
Toysrme
Gnarly Adventurer

customer service sucks any way you go. :\

:) Verizon's policy on mobile hotspots changed this year. Every smartphone should have free tethering. The FCC fined them $1.25m for charging $20/mo. PREVIOUSLY the policy was that certain phones could free tether (many htc phones, windows mobile 6.x phones), most phones could not without jailbreaking/rooting.
If AT&T still requires a payment to tether im sure the FCC will pop them down the road too.

I had a defender and lifeproof on my ip4. everyone i know has one or the other.
the pre ip5 defender's use a silicon that stays dirty. their replacement policy is unbeatable tho. half the people i know didn't pay for one. (you write your name/address/email on a sheet of paper and email them a picture of the broken case)
the ip5 defender is just a hair less bulky (still huge), but the complaint most of my friends & i had was resolved. the silicon was changed and doesn't get covered in lint as much.
the lifeproof cases are WAY better in that they're smaller, more water resistant. their downside is that all the connectors are waterproof me and everyone i know that has one finds them "annoying". you have to wonder about the impact resistance VS the defender.

with every carrier doing free night & weekend, free carrier to carrier and the "circle of friends thing" altell started & verizon continued after they bought altell out. IDK how anyone ever uses a lot of voice? take the 10 non-carrier numbers you call the most & stick them on the list???
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM   #26
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
customer service sucks any way you go. :\

:) Verizon's policy on mobile hotspots changed this year. Every smartphone should have free tethering. The FCC fined them $1.25m for charging $20/mo. PREVIOUSLY the policy was that certain phones could free tether (many htc phones, windows mobile 6.x phones), most phones could not without jailbreaking/rooting.
If AT&T still requires a payment to tether im sure the FCC will pop them down the road too.
I had not heard this. So I should be able to tether my non-jailbroken verizon 4s now without paying?
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
I recently got onto a Verizon unlimited voice/data/text plan for $100/mo, I seem to get data in many places that my brother (ATT) cannot. On my recent 6 week w. national park tour, I used my phone as a hotspot for my ipad and had coverage in astonishing places.

Out here in the west, I beleive that verizon coverage is superior, plus I like not having to worry about overage charges.

glasswave screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 06:23 PM
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #28
levain
STILL Jim Williams

Oddometer: 6,884
Jamie,
just wondering if you made up your mind, or if you're still swaying towards VErizon? Why? Why not?

cheers
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #29
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Jamie,
just wondering if you made up your mind, or if you're still swaying towards VErizon? Why? Why not?

cheers
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Verizon. I'm in no rush, mostly waiting for Lifeproof to come out with the case for the phone.

I like the unlocked Verizon phone, the larger coverage area, and the reported better customer satisfaction of Verizon over AT&T.

For me, cost is pretty much the same.

It'll probably be a month or more before I do anything.

Jamie

Old 10-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #30
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with Verizon...

I like the unlocked Verizon phone, the larger coverage area, and the reported better customer satisfaction of Verizon...
Jamie, if you are interested in a Verizon unlimited voice/text/data for $100/mo, send me a PM. I could get you hooked up.
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: