ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #31
ImaPoser
adventure imposter
 
ImaPoser's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2002
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 15,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
Jamie, if you are interested in a Verizon unlimited voice/text/data for $100/mo, send me a PM. I could get you hooked up.
Do tell.

I have spent no less than 8 hours with Verizon customer service trying to get three iPhone5s working correctly. there's still one to go, but its back to waiting for some aging bs on the sim chip to get it fixed.
That said, I am looking to replace my current galaxy s2 on sprint with either another iPhone or S3 on Verizon as sprints coverage blows so bad.
__________________
ImaPoser

Save 20% when you open your own smugmug account. Just go here...

ImaPoser screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 01:48 PM
ImaPoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #32
NJ Moto
Running Free
 
NJ Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Bergen County, NJ
Oddometer: 7,416
I'm on Verizon with the Samsung Galaxy S3. Best phone I've had to date.

No problem being on a call and surfing the web at the same time.



__________________
Every ride is an adventure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur

NJ Moto screwed with this post 10-20-2012 at 04:56 PM
NJ Moto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #33
glasswave
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wasatch Mtns, UT
Oddometer: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaPoser View Post
Do tell.

I have spent no less than 8 hours with Verizon customer service trying to get three iPhone5s working correctly. there's still one to go, but its back to waiting for some aging bs on the sim chip to get it fixed.
That said, I am looking to replace my current galaxy s2 on sprint with either another iPhone or S3 on Verizon as sprints coverage blows so bad.
If you are interested, send me a PM.
__________________
Indian Himalaya:Gangotri-Shimla-Manali-Pavarti-Spiti-Leh-Kargil-Padum-Sringhar-Daramsala (3 mo.--2x)
Kazakstan-Krygyzstan-Tajikistan-Xin Xiang to Lhasa, Tibet on China 219!-Nepal (7 months)
Santiago, Chile to Ushuia Argentina and up to Cusco, Peru (7 months)
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #34
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Jamie,
just wondering if you made up your mind, or if you're still swaying towards VErizon? Why? Why not?

cheers
Picked up a Verizon iPhone 5 16GB today. I've only had it maybe six or seven hours, so I can't speak for the customer satisfaction or the coverage area.

I will say the jump from the 3GS to this phone isn't near as great as I expected. It's fast, sure, but the 3GS was no slouch. I do appreciate the front facing camera (for self portraits) and I think I'll like the LED flash on the back, and I'm hoping to take advantage of the better camera. The bigger screen... well, it's nice. But the 3GS screen is pretty nice, too.

Overall, it's of course nicer than the 3GS in almost all aspects, but it's really just the same phone, just a little faster, a little better screen, a little better camera.

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:16 AM   #35
Xeraux
Archvillain
 
Xeraux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Oddometer: 30,892
I've been thinking about making the same switch. The coverage with Verizon is much, much better in Atlanta than AT&T.

Can someone tell me about the "Throttling" of data I'm reading about with Verizon?
__________________
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #36
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
Can someone tell me about the "Throttling" of data I'm reading about with Verizon?
Surely others have more experience than I do, but in my research in looking at different phones and carriers, the throttling that I read about was when AT&T and Verizon offered unlimited data plans. Neither of those companies offer unlimited any more. You pay for the bandwidth you want, and I'm not aware of any reports of throttling with the current pricing scheme.

The Verizon plans are set up a bit different from AT&T. With Verizon, you pay a flat rate based on the type of device you have. For a smartphone, it's $40 per month. Unlimited calling and texting. Then you purchase a data plan, from one to ten gigabytes (with more available on demand).

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #37
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by discochris View Post
I had not heard this. So I should be able to tether my non-jailbroken verizon 4s now without paying?
I too am curious. I thought that tethering is now free with the new plans. If you're on an old plan they force you to switch and you'll end up paying more each month, but you get tethering for free.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #38
Dukeryder
 
Dukeryder's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Pinewood Springs, Co
Oddometer: 7,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

I will say the jump from the 3GS to this phone isn't near as great as I expected.
Overall, it's of course nicer than the 3GS in almost all aspects, but it's really just the same phone, just a little faster, a little better screen, a little better camera.

Jamie
Kinda disappointing to hear it's not worlds better than the 3GS. I think I'd keep my 3GS if the damn headphone jacked worked. I was dead set on the iPhone 5, now I'm beginning to rethink it and get the GS3 instead. I mean since Apple changed the charger outlet I'll have to get new car charger and cables for the 5 anyway.
__________________


Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #39
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Kinda disappointing to hear it's not worlds better than the 3GS. I think I'd keep my 3GS if the damn headphone jacked worked. I was dead set on the iPhone 5, now I'm beginning to rethink it and get the GS3 instead. I mean since Apple changed the charger outlet I'll have to get new car charger and cables for the 5 anyway.
Me and my wife both had iPhone 3G's, then a 4. I just switched to a GS3, and my wife got a iPhone 5. Comparing the two is pretty incredible. Apple has been passed up.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #40
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by levain View Post
Me and my wife both had iPhone 3G's, then a 4. I just switched to a GS3, and my wife got a iPhone 5. Comparing the two is pretty incredible. Apple has been passed up.
I assume you're talking about the software on your GS3 right? What I don't like is the current bigger screen is better race which the Android manufactures seem to be in. If I want a tablet or laptop I'll use one. Otherwise I want something that fits in my hand and more importantly my pocket.

Also, the last Android phone I picked up felt cheap compared with the iPhone and I wondered if it would last without having a broken case or screen.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:32 AM   #41
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 7,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal View Post
I assume you're talking about the software on your GS3 right? What I don't like is the current bigger screen is better race which the Android manufactures seem to be in. If I want a tablet or laptop I'll use one. Otherwise I want something that fits in my hand and more importantly my pocket.

Also, the last Android phone I picked up felt cheap compared with the iPhone and I wondered if it would last without having a broken case or screen.
Sorry jaime to muck up your thread. PM sent to McNeal.
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #42
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Kinda disappointing to hear it's not worlds better than the 3GS. I think I'd keep my 3GS if the damn headphone jacked worked. I was dead set on the iPhone 5, now I'm beginning to rethink it and get the GS3 instead. I mean since Apple changed the charger outlet I'll have to get new car charger and cables for the 5 anyway.
Just to clarify, I do think the 5 is a better phone than the 3GS in virtually every way. Physically the phone is smaller and lighter, but it has a bigger screen. The resolution is better. The camera is much better, and it has a front-facing camera where the 3GS does not. More memory and faster processor. The LTE service available on the 5 is really fast, faster than my cable internet at home.

And I do like Siri more than I expected. Though that said, the most recent Google app has a voice search that worked a lot like Siri.

But, it's really not a game changer. It's just the next iteration in a line of excellent phones.

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #43
Xeraux
Archvillain
 
Xeraux's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Oddometer: 30,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Just to clarify, I do think the 5 is a better phone than the 3GS in virtually every way. Physically the phone is smaller and lighter, but it has a bigger screen. The resolution is better. The camera is much better, and it has a front-facing camera where the 3GS does not. More memory and faster processor. The LTE service available on the 5 is really fast, faster than my cable internet at home.

And I do like Siri more than I expected. Though that said, the most recent Google app has a voice search that worked a lot like Siri.

But, it's really not a game changer. It's just the next iteration in a line of excellent phones.

Jamie
Well said.
__________________
Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #44
runpasthefence
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Charleston SC
Oddometer: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Kinda disappointing to hear it's not worlds better than the 3GS. I think I'd keep my 3GS if the damn headphone jacked worked. I was dead set on the iPhone 5, now I'm beginning to rethink it and get the GS3 instead. I mean since Apple changed the charger outlet I'll have to get new car charger and cables for the 5 anyway.
Replace the headphone jack yourself. Sure, it basically requires tearing the whole phone apart, but if you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing it's not so bad.

If you fuck it up, you just get to go buy a 5, S3, 4s or whatever.
runpasthefence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:22 AM   #45
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jamie Z's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: almost Memphis
Oddometer: 7,692
Been with Verizon on my iPhone 5 for almost two years, and I'm quite happy.

Most recently, I moved into an apartment without internet, so I've gotten along with tethering. I had to upgrade my monthly data place of course, but the service is pretty fast for out in the boonies and I don't pay extra for tethering, like I would have to with AT&T.

I have to say that I'm looking forward to the introduction of the next iPhone. If it has a bigger screen, I'll be very much interested.

And to date, I've not had to have any interaction at all with Verizon customer service, so I can't say anything good or bad. And that's good.

Jamie
__________________
I'm the Tent Space Guy Sign up to host fellow travelers here.

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014