kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #242
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos View Post
It's summer tomorrow :-)

From your point of you, you lucky you ...

Enjoy!
kimangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #243
nameless
100% recyclable

Oddometer: 125
Eh?

Great RR, subscribed :) and i'm getting the DVD,seems very good from the trailer

'13 Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré
Keep Calm
and
Carry On
nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #244
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

High Atlas - Morocco

It is a tough ride out of that rocky labyrinth and we're appreciating any kind of refreshment.

Back on track we're climbing higher and higher into the heart of the Atlas mountains.

We're taking a lot of brakes to inhale this magnificent scenery. It's in places like this where the importance of almost everything degenerates into insignificance.

Can you see the bike on the trail?

It's also in places like this where you think you're completely alone but soon you'll find out you aren't. Here we're meeting a sheperd who came running down the hill as he heard the bikes approaching. Remi knows some Berber and Arabic and he finds out that the guy is in need of some petrol. But we don't know what he needs it for. There's no moped, nothing around...

He pulls out a tiny piece of cloth and dips it into Thomas' fuel tank. Then he takes the moistured cloth and ...

... puts it into his mouth! He probably has an infection or any kind of teeth problem. So Remi asks him to let him inspect his mouth and check if we're having something more appropriate than fuel to cure whatever is there. But he refuses and as fast as he has arrived he runs back up the hill where he has come from...

Significant to the Atlas are the bare mountains and green valleys. It's there where creeks and rivers form lifelines in a deserted countryside.

Now this is one of my most beloved shots of the time in Morocco. To me it says everything about travelling. A vast and inspirational landscape, nearly deserted with a few signs of life, tires blow dust into the air and two buddies ride along knowing that whatever they do they can rely on each other.

Sun is setting and we're speeding up to reach todays destination: Imilchil.

See you there

Dirk
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #245
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post
Now this is one of my most beloved shots of the time in Morocco. To me it says everything about travelling. A vast and inspirational landscape, nearly deserted with a few signs of life, tires blow dust into the air and two buddies ride along knowing that whatever they do they can rely on each other.

Some say "a picture is worth a thousand words" but your words and photo together......they say it all.

Many thanks, Dirk.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #246
littlebike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Hi Dirk,

Nice Moroccan stage and views of Atlas range
Curious to ask you how was the Midelt to Imilchil route besides the Oued shortcut
I am planning to pay a visit to Morocco next year including Midelt, Imilchil and Boudenib areas

Cheers
Thierry
littlebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #247
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post
Sun is setting and we're speeding up to reach todays destination: Imilchil.
See you there
Dirk
no-no, you didn3t see us here ;) missed us by one day, if my memory serves...
(btw, on our way to Santiago de Chile ;) )
Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #248
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos View Post
no-no, you didn3t see us here ;) missed us by one day, if my memory serves...
It does. And I remember of course. A slight misinterpretation of the calender date. But I was referring to the Remi and the other French boys who gave me company to Imilchil ;-)
Old 12-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #249
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Was just joking about your "see you there". ;)
I sadly remember having missing you by a day.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #250
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebike View Post
Hi Dirk,
Curious to ask you how was the Midelt to Imilchil route besides the Oued shortcut

Cheers
Thierry
Salut Thierry,
besides the little detour into the Oued (riverbed) it wasn't too difficult. I was there last in Oct '12 and found that at some Oueds crossings the former track has been swept away by floods. The new crossings are rocky but if you take it easy there shouldn't be a problem. Some pretty steep sections seemed to be a bit scary. But if you take it easy ...

Good luck on your trip to Morocco!

Cheers

Dirk
Old 12-29-2012, 02:01 AM   #251
nordy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Absolutely blew my mind.
I hope you will be able, in some of the next trip, turn a bit Serbia and be my guest.

All praise the writing and photography!

signing in
Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 PM   #252
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Happy New Year, Dirk. And thanks again for sharing your riding with us! You have a gift!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #253
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader54 View Post
Happy New Year, Dirk. And thanks again for sharing your riding with us! You have a gift!

My pleasure! And Happy New Year to you, too!

Dirk
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #254
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordy View Post
Absolutely blew my mind.
I hope you will be able, in some of the next trip, turn a bit Serbia and be my guest.

All praise the writing and photography!

signing in
Hi Nordy,
thank you. And Serbia is not unlikely in 2013. I'm thinking about a trip that would take me through your nice country, too. Hope to see you then

Cheers

Dirk
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 AM   #255
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Arriving in Imilchil means arriving in another world to us. People are - even for moroccan standards - very poor. The climate is rough, vegetation few and the village is a collection of a few stores and restaurants. However, Imilchil became famous for the annual marriage festival. Due to the isolation of the tiny villages in the region and the restrictions of the Berber culture young men can't easily meet the ladies. The festival offers the opportunity for them to meet and make their decisions whom to marry.

Our host in a recommendable pension is Monsieur Bassou. He's an absloute gentle person and a qualified mountain guide with a lot of experience both in the French Alps and in the High Atlas.

After a quick breakfast we're setting of towards Agoudal where the road splits for a descent into two canyons.

The tar road takes us more or less quickly to Agoudal and we decide to have a second breakfast there.

The town is quite in the early morning hours. Few people on the road, some storks are repairing their nest.

Some children are watiching us as we eat and Remi knowing some of their language finds out that this girl, Kerima, is carrying her little brother. During the last winter they and all inhabitants of Agoudal had to leave the village. The winter was that harsh, the snow that high that Agoudal was completely cut off from the rest of the country. Food and fire wood were used up and the only chance to survive was to walk to Imilchil. 35kms on foot, no winter boots, no fancy GoreTex jackets ...

Watching these kids faces I was wondering what their future will be like. A question that I'm going to come across several more times. But those little ones often knew how to blow away my pessimism with a smile.

We say good bye to Agoudal and chose the track towards the Todra Canyon.

I'll keep quite now and leave you with these pictures of this massive, stunning scenery.

As the valley becomes narrower the first palmtrees remind us of the near civilisation.

The asphalt near the tight section of the Canyon has been swept away by the floods resulting from the melting snow in the higher areas.

It's already late as we arrive in the oasis of Tinghir. We haven't done many kilometers today. But it was a rich day.

Hope you enjoyed this section of the trip as we did.

Cheers

Dirk