Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
Any mistake in the Gibraltar chapter?
kimangao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #348
hansi
Teurer Abenteurer

Oddometer: 286
Just blown away by your pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #349
MeinMotorrad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimangao View Post
Any mistake in the Gibraltar chapter?
I just the link to wikipedia in because this tiny place has such an incredible history with an influence far beyond its size.

I'm waiting with baited breath to hear how you overcame any problems created by the "Arab Spring"
MeinMotorrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #350
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinMotorrad View Post
I just the link to wikipedia in because this tiny place has such an incredible history with an influence far beyond its size.

I'm waiting with baited breath to hear how you overcame any problems created by the "Arab Spring"
I was there just before the "Spring" began. But no worries: even before the Spring there were enough obstacles that needed to be outmaneuvered.

Cheers

Dirk
Old 03-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #351
mint julep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Great RR!

This is my fave too!

Cheers,
Dave

mint julep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #352
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
Talking Dirk, your book is a piece of art!

During the last months my girlfriend (who also ride bikes and love to travel) have been looking over my shoulder from time to time, when I was reading this thread, and especially the pictures really impressed her.

This made me decide to give her "Via Mediterra" (the book) for her birthday last weekend.

She had no idea that I was going to give her the book and was both surprised and excited when she unwrapped it - and already after having flipped through a couple of pages she was sold - She loves it!

It's a well made book with a good structure and narrative style, but more than anything, it's the pictures that makes this book something very very special.

Not only are the pictures technically in a class of their own, they also have an exceptional ability to create a mood and tell a story.

Last year I visited a photo exhibition in San Francisco with pictures by Rodney Lough Jr who is one of my favorit photographers - your methods and ideas are different, but I find that some of your pictures is on par with his best work.

Thanks again for sharing your stories and pictures with us

Don T screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 03:41 PM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:01 AM   #353
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Don, what shall I say? Thank you very much for your words. You've made my day :-)

Dirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don T View Post
During the last months my girlfriend (who also ride bikes and love to travel) have been looking over my shoulder from time to time, when I was reading this thread, and especially the pictures really impressed her.

This made me decide to give her "Via Mediterra" (the book) for her birthday last weekend.

She had no idea that I was going to give her the book and was both surprised and excited when she unwrapped it - and already after having flipped through a couple of pages she was sold - She loves it!

It's a well made book with a good structure and narrative style, but more than anything, it's the pictures that makes this book something very very special.

Not only are the pictures technically in a class of their own, they also have an exceptional ability to create a mood and tell a story.

Last year I visited a photo exhibition in San Francisco with pictures by Rodney Lough Jr who is one of my favorit photographers - your methods and ideas are different, but I find that some of your pictures is on par with his best work.

Thanks again for sharing your stories and pictures with us
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #354
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Yesterday Richard and me ended up in Ronda, the famous Andalusian city devided by a canyon.

If you ever had the idea of riding through medieval times following the city walls of Ronda comes very close to it.

From Ronda I'm heading alone further west to another important Spanish city. But it's not the city that I'm intersted in that much. It's its landmark.

It's already late in the evening when I arrive in Seville. Magnificent place!

Though it is already 23:30 these guys still serve a proper meal. Spain, you are so beautiful!

In the old quarter of the town I've found a decent place for the HP2 and me. I leave the bike the next morning to stroll around to the landmark.

There we are. Well almost. Behind the cathedral you'll recognise the bell tower. It's called Giralda and it is the landmark I'm searching for.

A bit closer to the cathedral.

And here is the Giralda now. What's so special about it? Well compare the tower to the one on the picture below. Imagine the Giralda without its top ....

This here is the Hassan tower I've seen in Moroccos capital Rabat. Just put an ornamented top with bells on it and you're back in Seville ;-)

To me the Giralda is, besides the Alhambra and the Mezquita, the reminder of the Moorish times in Morocco. Whatever these people did, they created fantastic architechture. And whatever those who followed them did, they where wise enough to keep these masterpieces.

Ok, enough culture. I have to keep in mind, that I still need to renew my Algerian visa. And for that I have to cross Spain from west (Seville) to East (Alicante). Let's goooo!!!

I'm not yet in Alicante but already at the east coast, close to the Cabo de Gata.

Cheers for today!

Dirk

kimangao screwed with this post 03-26-2013 at 08:09 AM
Old 03-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #355
pastou
www.2mil.fr

Oddometer: 15
amaizing pictures :) and nice color effect on the last one near the front rear !!!

US back country trail adventure : TAT - BCR Arizona/Utah, TCAT...
pastou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #356
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,084
how?

...awesome as usual.

How the heck do you get the pics of yourself riding? Is there an auto selection on your camera, or?...I mean a special timer?

you look quite a ways away in this shot for instance...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM   #357
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...awesome as usual.

How the heck do you get the pics of yourself riding? Is there an auto selection on your camera, or?...I mean a special timer?

you look quite a ways away in this shot for instance...
You can find the answer in post #323.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #358
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

To be a bit more precise: I use a Canon TC 80n3.

It allows you to have a self-timer with a countdown of 99hrs, interval shots f.e. (1pic/sec), long exposure and to set the amount of frames (max 99) you like to shoot. You can of course combine the settings.

The setting I often use in daylight is 30sec self-timer, interval 1sec, 99 frames. That often means you're producing 98 times crap but one will be good. Like that one below. (Camera was mounted on the tripod, the tripod strapped over the passenger seat)

Of course, this picture came out accidently. I couldn't know that this rider will approach and furthermore the interval setting of 1sec is very long if you consider that my speed of ca. 70km/h makes me (and the camera) move 20m within one interval.

With this picture it was nearly the same, though less accidently. From what I remember the only difference was that the self-timer was adjusted to 1min to allow me riding into the valley before the shooting started.

With this system the most important activity of the photographer becomes ... deleting all the crappy pictures you don't want to have. Otherwise you'll be drowning in useless data.

Cheers

Dirk
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 AM   #359
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Talking

the 1st pict makes me think that you have at least 2 other stories to tell
First about gloves.....and second about sunglasses
Ah, the joys of photography
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #360
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,084
...thanks for clearing up the mystery. What a great photo tool.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote