User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #376
ac72
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Cure for impatience

Don't forget people that if you, like me, have a low impatience threshold you can always buy the book -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=12227554

It's well worth it and you never know, you might be helping to fund a follow-up :)

AC.
ac72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #377
legasea
Ape on wheels

Oddometer: 105
Or....go riding!
And try to make some nice photos...
Well, just subscribed to deal with anguish.

It's God's fault if atheism is growing
legasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #378
Moss
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Fantastic!

Hi Derk,

I would just like to repeat, but not literally, all the compliments that everyone has said about your thread, with emphasis on the photography.

Absolutely splendid.
Can't wait to see more!
Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 AM   #379
Connito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac72 View Post
Don't forget people that if you, like me, have a low impatience threshold you can always buy the book -

It's well worth it and you never know, you might be helping to fund a follow-up :)

AC.
+1 on this! I bought the book and the DVD. It is well worth it indeed!

Cheers,
Pete

Neil Peart
Connito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #380
Bynoid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
USA Option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac72 View Post

AC.
Anyone know of a USA option? I looked at the touratech.usa site but no go. Also Amazon and Barnes/Noble were a bust.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:40 AM   #381
GirlieS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moss View Post
Hi Derk,

I would just like to repeat, but not literally, all the compliments that everyone has said about your thread, with emphasis on the photography.

Absolutely splendid.
Can't wait to see more!
Wow!

Checking in and making time to read this one... especially cause it's relatively close to home and parts within our riding goals for the summer.
Great pics.... really awesome!
GirlieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #382
Connito
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynoid View Post
Anyone know of a USA option? I looked at the touratech.usa site but no go. Also Amazon and Barnes/Noble were a bust.
Here is the DVD - http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/1...er-Euro-Format

The book is available at the Canadian site - http://shop.touratechcanada.com/book...k-schafer.html

The DVD also - http://shop.touratechcanada.com/dvd-...k-schafer.html

Cheers,
Pete

Neil Peart
Old 06-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #383
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 657
Hello everybody,
I'm back again and happy to continue the story. Thanks again for your patience.

Remember where I had stopped? Near Cabo de Gata, the south-eastern tip of the Spanish peninsula.

To Alicante, where I may get the visa for Algeria, I should just follow the coastline. But I take a little detour to a city that is worth it....

In the evening I arrive in Granada, the place to be. But it's not only the cities moorish heritage that brought me here.

Have a look a the Alhambra! That's a palace!

Ok, what made me go here if not the city itself? Right! A woman. To be more precise, Frédérique, the lady of our inmate Kktos. She's a professor of art and has a meeting with at least one artist. (no, not me.)

I shall get to know him in one of the traditional tapas bars. Here tons of ham are hanging above you.

We meet Steven at the bar. He has a gallery in Santa Fe, New Mexico and it takes me a while to realize what multi-tasking type of artist he is. If you want to check out what he's doing (no, no adv-bikes) have a look at http://www.stevenboone.com

During the next days I'm getting him to know more and more. Most of all because he invites me to lodge on the balcony of his appartment opposite of the Alhambra.

And that balcony has the best view ever! Imagine waking up with this view for a couple of days ...

Beeing with two artist it's obvious that I have to consume some art. Most of all I'm enjoying this abbey.

(For your orientation: That's the ceiling)

Granada also offers some nice street art. But it seems some forms of art owe their existence to “consciousness-expanding” products. The writing “Farlopa” means cocaine: Spain has the highest levels of cocaine use in Europe.

Frédérique unfortunately has to fly back home. But Steven and me we join some fabulous flamenco nights.

Gee, these people know how to dance!

Steven moves on to a little village west of Granada. There is nearly nothing. Perfect for the work of an artist.

The man at work.

At work, too. We've soon found out that we share the interest in photography. Within the next days we learn a lot from each other.

Well, Steven doesn't smoke, me neither ...

Back in Granada I try to remember what Steven has told me about photography, especially people photography: Smile and respect. Well, the smile at least work well.

Have a nice day and see you soon!

Cheers

Dirk
Old 06-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #384
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

You can't be in Granada without riding Europes highest tarmaced mountain road. It leads from Granada to the Pico de Valeta (3396m) and Mulhacen (3479m) to the villages of Capileira and Trevelez.

Today I'm not the only one to take the ride. Two Italian couples are also on their way to the top of Europe.

Pierluigi and Sylvia on their nice Africa Twin.

But hey! What's that? Even if you ignore these signs you won't ignore the barrier further up the road (a bit left from my left hand). We're at 2550m and there's lot more to come.

I ask the guy at the barrier and he tells me that without special permission there's no way of going further. "This is the emtrance of the national park." National park? The last time I was here, there was nothing and no one. No national park, no ski resort, no parking lots with huts where you can buy coffee in plastic cups, no barrier ...

A bit of research brought back to my mind that the Alpine World Ski Champinships in 1996 are the origin of the ski-resort. The national-park - just next to it - was founded three years later. So when I've crossed that road without anything being there ... man, I'm getting old! And sometimes disappointed.

Anyway, the final 27 kilometers to Capileira can't be done anymore with a private vehicle (public vehicles can). Instead you have to cover 120 kilometers on a detour that takes via Granada.

Before the Italians and me get too frustrated we walk up a bit to the old observatory till the place that we decide ...

... is top for us The real peak is a bit right from the center.
Has anyone seen a motorcyclist carrying a bagpipe? At least this here is the place to get it out an play it loud

And finally a little bit of Van Halen

On the way back to the bikes I'm thinking about the detour to Capileira. And then it comes back to my mind: I'm already on a detour! Algeria, the bloody visa! The consulate ... Alicante ... here I come!

Cheers for today.

Dirk
Old 06-26-2013, 06:30 AM   #385
Connito
Adventurer

Awesome, just awesome!

Neil Peart
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM   #386
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Mate, you made my day !
Stuck at work on a F* boring problem and I just saw your recent posts.

kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #387
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

I have to thank you, your replies make mine :-)

Ok, back to the story:
Remember that I failed getting a visa for Algeria in Morocco.

That's why I'm in Alicante now, where there is an Algerian consulate. You may cross your finger for me. Now watch, what happened in Alicante! (and don't miss 1:35 ;-))

These consulate blokes forced me completely reorganize the journey. But hey: How boring, if everything works out as you've thought.
Nevertheless I had some comments on the video that are not suitable for all audiences ;-)

Hope you enjoy!

Cheers

Dirk
Old 06-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #388
kimangao OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josetb View Post
Hi.

I wonder were are you from!
Im living since im 12 in North Spain (im 31) but i was born i lived in Düsseldorf (Benrath), since i follow you i like to imagine Dusseldorf as starting point of a great adventure!

May be some time we met over there or in North Spain.

So that's just neighbourhood. I was born in Wuppertal and live in Essen now. An uncle of mine used to live in Benrath.

See you somewhen in Benrath or Spain

Cheers

Dirk
Old 06-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #389
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 580
Not even tempted to clone the lights and wires out of the picture? Or is it the wires and lights that add to the picture? Kimangao, all your photos are so void of litter. Do you look over the ground before every shot to clear away the odd paper wrapping, or coca cola can?
Sorry if my comment appears elementary, I am just trying to learn composition from you.

Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #390
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Ah Dirk, officials.......officials.....too officious. So off you go to Roma! Cool. Love the riding clips and the way they made you swim from the boat to land underwater. Those devils!
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote